The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

SOTD 10/9/21

Focus R21 Evolution
GSB (3)
Stirling Sheep soap
Stirling Badger brush
Stirling Duke AS

View attachment 63315

Been wanting to try the signature move of @BarberDave with a shavette.

I need to practice this some more, but I am getting some of that same smooth-polished feel as I did with a straight.

See the vid

Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV
Bill, flatblading works equally well with both shavette as well as a traditional straight. I’m really enjoying the smoothness on my neck that I was otherwise unable to achieve.

It’s worked well for me with both of my shavettes, Tedalus and DX. DI’d you use a guarded blade (Proguard or Softguard). I used a Feather Super with no issues.
Nice work!

I could try it with a guarded blade and see, but I’m not optimistic that the sand smooth finishing will occur.

SOTD 10/13/21

Derby cream, lemon
Stirling fan badger
Fine accoutrements bowl
Focus R21 Evolution
1/2 Voskhod (1)
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

Anyone looking my way the last coupl of days would never guess that shaving was my hobby.

Now, if they’d have seen me after this shave, it would be obvious that it is more of an artisanal skill.

Great shave, made me happy.

60A8CA98-76C1-4236-A266-1E5B8AA17325.jpeg

SOTD 10/9/21

Focus R21 Evolution
GSB (3)
Stirling Sheep soap
Stirling Badger brush
Stirling Duke AS

View attachment 63315

Been wanting to try the signature move of @BarberDave with a shavette.

I need to practice this some more, but I am getting some of that same smooth-polished feel as I did with a straight.

See the vid

Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV
Just finished the video, Bill. Well done and entertaining, too! You demonstrated the technique very clearly. I am curious to see @BarberDave now.

SOTD 10/15/21 evening

MWF
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Simpsons Emperor 3
Thiers Issard 6/8 889 Rams horn
Stirling Lemon Chill WH & AS

427BF701-043C-4EE7-8080-C75EFDC87639.jpeg

Just got my MWF. I have no idea why it took me so long to get this soap, it has a significant following. My water is softened, so I lack lathering issues. I started face lathering, then decided to move to the bowl to sufficiently slosh out the soap. I suppose one day I’ll have to try Williams too.

I love this brush. My guess is that one day hand tied brushes like it will no longer be made. For me, it doesn’t work any better than an inexpensive synthetic or boar, but once in a while it is okay to splurge in a hobby.

This razor is totally the sizzle in the pan. It was the pick of the litter from this particular vendor lot that I had to have. Good thing I had been working OT. TI uses a higher carbon content steel than most and is specially licensed to use a lead hardening process. The combo makes for durable stuff. Even though it has an extra hollow grind it feels more rigid than other stuff I have in honing and shaving.

My currently normal preshave edge refinement is 0.10 micron cBN on elliptically convexed balsa and a high arch mounted velvety smooth Herold RI calfhide. All my stuff is honed on convexed gear by me or others, so logically convexed final edge treatments make sense for me to use.

Usually when I evening shave, post shave stuff is citrus if some sort which Stirling definitely excels at.

Great shave. Makes for a hobby worth having.

Home again shave 9/26/21

Workoff soap
Stirling Badger brush
Essence by Tedalus Razor
Feather ProGuard (7)
Stirling Bergamot Lavender splash on

View attachment 62250

Last Friday I was feeling symptoms similar to my heart attack of almost 7 years ago. I was able to get relief and comfort enough to get a good nights rest.

Feeling fine Saturday morning, I went about morning meal and coffee and honed up a couple of razors, one of which I planned to shave with after showering. It was during my shower I began to realize that I’d be making a trip to the hospital. My aspirin and nitros didn’t seem to be providing the relief I wanted. Having known a number of folks that went through similar experiences, I feared they would need to be making luxury sedan payments this month and I would be the perfect candidate to crack open for the plumbing overhaul and cash infusion.

Things didn’t move too fast this time and it took about 6 hours to get me in an urgent care suite. Last time I was categorized as having a ‘massive heart attack’ in which they had me stented up in about 4 hours. Even though the pains I was experiencing were greater this time, tests were not showing the same urgency. They stabilized me and got me into a room to get pumped up on blood thinners. An angiogram was scheduled for Monday morning by the very same Doctor who likely prolonged my life from my earlier episode.

This time he classified me as having a mild heart attack, found my existing stents to still be open and my heat muscles strong. The problem laid in minor arteries unable to be stented and not significant enough to get him the luxury sedan payment due by month’s end. He elected to treat me with more handfuls of pills and allow me to go home that day and return to work in a week.

I know some here were aware of my situation and wished me a speedy recovery. There are also those of the mindset that prayer is a noble gentlemanly endeavor. I am grateful for all, many who I’ve only begun to get to know.

At the earliest permitted time I jumped into the shower for some grunge relief and a much needed shave.

Since I had been jacked up on a couple of quarts of blood thinners I bagged the straight and went for the ProGuarded Shavette. My work will cover me for the medical issue, but I don’t think they allow time off for bleeding out from shave cuts.

It was a delightful shave and I’m taking things easy this week and feeling much better. Coffee at home this morning was fantastic. Man, do I smell good…..now.

Thanks again my friends.
Bill
I'm thankful you're doing well, Bill. Prayers for your continued recovery.

SOTD 10/15/21 evening

MWF
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Simpsons Emperor 3
Thiers Issard 6/8 889 Rams horn
Stirling Lemon Chill WH & AS

View attachment 63883

Just got my MWF. I have no idea why it took me so long to get this soap, it has a significant following. My water is softened, so I lack lathering issues. I started face lathering, then decided to move to the bowl to sufficiently slosh out the soap. I suppose one day I’ll have to try Williams too.

I love this brush. My guess is that one day hand tied brushes like it will no longer be made. For me, it doesn’t work any better than an inexpensive synthetic or boar, but once in a while it is okay to splurge in a hobby.

This razor is totally the sizzle in the pan. It was the pick of the litter from this particular vendor lot that I had to have. Good thing I had been working OT. TI uses a higher carbon content steel than most and is specially licensed to use a lead hardening process. The combo makes for durable stuff. Even though it has an extra hollow grind it feels more rigid than other stuff I have in honing and shaving.

My currently normal preshave edge refinement is 0.10 micron cBN on elliptically convexed balsa and a high arch mounted velvety smooth Herold RI calfhide. All my stuff is honed on convexed gear by me or others, so logically convexed final edge treatments make sense for me to use.

Usually when I evening shave, post shave stuff is citrus if some sort which Stirling definitely excels at.

Great shave. Makes for a hobby worth having.
Lovely shave, Bill! Tell me a bit about that brush.

Lovely shave, Bill! Tell me a bit about that brush.
Simpsons was reportedly the premiere brush maker with roots 100 years back.

While handles are no longer turned from ivory, the process is the same.

All their knots were hand tied, shaped and glued. They have a reputation for being densely packed with great strand retention.

Badger hair was obtained in different categories, Super Badger being their luxury offering, reportedly the softest.

When I started wet shaving, most of their prices almost sent me into convulsions. Still, I thought I could rationalize having ONE Simpsons Super Badger. I chose the Emperor 2 because I liked the handle style and it represented a lower cost. Due to market pressure prices have dropped and I eventually got this Emperor 3.

I like both of these brushes, but most often use a Stirling Tuxedo cause it works well and won’t sting so much to replace.

I’m not a huge brush aficionado and have limited sampling. There are others who could probably comment more on this type of gear.

Back