The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

SOTD 12/26/21

Stirling Piacenza SS
Stirling fan badger
Go Dallah 66 - compound hollow bevel
Razorock 3X AS

Since I have raw materials inbound for my upcoming honing project, I figured I should brush up my shaving familiarity with the tool I be using to benchmark my results. It was one of the first pieces that I used different radius stones on for a compound hollow bevel. It delivered a delightful shave. I even took the time for neck buffing and a flatblading polish. Talc poofed for the glide.

All of the glorious stanks are inspired by Acqua de Parma. One of these days I’ll get me some of the real McCoy.

8653E559-A175-485D-970B-835F2B953345.jpeg

This batch of Gold Dollars was quite rough. I’m pretty sure the container ship went through some rough weather or it was monsoon season in that part of China. I hated to whine about $20 worth of questionable shave gear manufactured by slave labor.

This was the first one I doctored with a belt sander. It gave me a good indicator or how soft this metal is and why edge life isn’t the best.

Hoping everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Evening SOTD 12/29/21

MWF suds
Stirling badger suds whipping device in face lather mode
One of the ugliest Go Dallahs I’ve seen sporting the compound hollow bevel.
Stirling Glacial Lemony Orange for sweet dreams

Not shown - Stirling Eucalyptus Mint Witch Hazel, because also ‘not shown’ are those Thayers ball caps or shave shirts for my buddies who continue to selflessly use and promote their stuff.

8C0AD968-ADF0-4EF1-B530-0F02AE064FD6.jpeg

Used the new Kurvie Kanga strop. Jury is still out but a smooth comfortable shave was certainly mine today.

Last 2021 SOTD New Years Eve

Wholly Kaw, La Fougère Parfaite, suds and splash
WCS Tall & Dark synthetic brush
Stirling Orange chill menthol witch hazel with aloe…. Because I still ain’t seen no Thayers coffee mugs for my buddies.
Still the most sinfully ugly GoDallah razor I’ve ever seen, sporting the compound hollow bevel

Not Shown - Stirling collapsible paddle bowl for the super puff suds.
Not shown, because ‘that razor’ looks so bad, I’m afeard folks will have pity on me and start throwing loose change in it.

BC2989DF-AB44-4443-870D-FA1B7451DB02.jpeg

Great shave. WK LFP is one of my faves. Not as good as Et Tu (in the Brut lookalike category) but still very good.

I’ve used this razor more than any I’ve honed with a hollow backbevel. I really like it. I hope the new low cost synthetics can get this good. If I can get a match, I’ll need to work on economical strop abrasives to counter the expense of cBN emulsions.

Wishing ALL a very Happy and Blessed New Year.

You really do have tough whiskers! Look at the scratches they've put on that blade! :eek:

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Friday the 13th on Thursday SOTD

GoDallah honing project
MWF
Stirling tuxedo
Stirling collapsible paddle bowl
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Col Conk Lime Cologne

57CB2649-D28E-4D93-897E-63B5C5E375F9.jpeg

I’m liking what I’m getting with compound hollow bevels.

A few more things to do before I offer some pass arounds

Yours Truly,
The Lone Convex Crusader

Made a vid
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 1/15/22

TOBS Sandlewood
Simpsons Emperor 2 Super
Fine Accoutrements bowl
Tenth micron cBN Crowned balsa strop
Roo hide high crown strop
Project GoDallah razor
Stirling Deton-8 AS splash.
42F5D97B-03A7-4720-B17F-838A12BC312D.jpeg

I figure TOBS Sandlewood to be a top seller in USA because it is a fave of Geofatboy. It is why I bought it, but TOBS shave are needy in the slickness category for me. Great scent.

This shave tool came off the new low cost stones and I skipped a few steps in stropping just to see if I could. It seems that the sub-micron abrasives should be kept in the progression. I am going to try diamond vs cBN for cost containment next though. I ordered more balsa blocks to accommodate a possible loaner kit.

The jury is still out for me on this particular hunk of roo. We’ll see.

I love Deton-8 from this years Black Friday specials. Use care on volume in Covid masking situations.

Back