The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My story, I’m sticking to it. Bill

This has me very curious.
At the start of the year, a few delusional hoarders online shaving friends and myself started a friendly gentleman's wager on their ability to get through a 2021 No Buy. I myself had failed miserably in a similar bet in '19. Anyway, for 3 of the gentlemen, it was a turned brush and bowl by me if they made it, and various hardware in return if they didn't. Gentleman #1? He didn't make it through the first week of January (and no, I'm not kidding...:LOL:) and that is how I got the Karve SB w D plate I've used the past few days. Gentleman #2 didn't get out of the spring and that is how I got the 'C' OC plate and 'F' SB plate to go with it. Gentleman #3 is @wristwatchb who just cratered. The deal was about using an undesirable soap for 30 days. In my case that would have been Tabac, but Charlie didn't last. Our deal also included an exchange of different hardware, some of it not shaving related. Gentleman #4? He is still in, I believe. If he makes it past Black Friday, I doubt the bottle of TdH EdP will make it my way, and instead several hours of my time will make it to Texas.
Bill and a few others on here were part of that group but weren't lying to themselves and overusing their company counselling services going to even pretend to want to go a year without adding to their already awesome dens.

At the start of the year, a few delusional hoarders online shaving friends and myself started a friendly gentleman's wager on their ability to get through a 2021 No Buy. I myself had failed miserably in a similar bet in '19. Anyway, for 3 of the gentlemen, it was a turned brush and bowl by me if they made it, and various hardware in return if they didn't. Gentleman #1? He didn't make it through the first week of January (and no, I'm not kidding...:LOL:) and that is how I got the Karve SB w D plate I've used the past few days. Gentleman #2 didn't get out of the spring and that is how I got the 'C' OC plate and 'F' SB plate to go with it. Gentleman #3 is @wristwatchb who just cratered. The deal was about using an undesirable soap for 30 days. In my case that would have been Tabac, but Charlie didn't last. Our deal also included an exchange of different hardware, some of it not shaving related. Gentleman #4? He is still in, I believe. If he makes it past Black Friday, I doubt the bottle of TdH EdP will make it my way, and instead several hours of my time will make it to Texas.
Bill and a few others on here were part of that group but weren't lying to themselves and overusing their company counselling services going to even pretend to want to go a year without adding to their already awesome dens.
Thanks for that explanation. There’s no way I could make it on a no purchase run. Good on ya!

Well, Jason, I'm not entirely convinced that my 2021 no buy cratered. I'm fairly certain, due to some yet-to-be-explained solar phenomenon, that this year has drug on for like 15 or 16 months. In that regard, I exceeded no buy expectations (at least in my own mind) based on the typical 12-month Julian calendar. Nonetheless, you got me this time on some type of inexplicable lunar technicality. Fool me once, shame on you...

So for now, I've resolved to just let the little things go and look ahead. And while looking ahead today, a few cool razors just jumped out of nowhere in front of me. My head is still spinning, and I'm still not sure what happened...but they may soon find their way into my Den. Sorry, but I'm not at liberty to disclose details at present. 😉

HOWEVER, I still consider us friends. As such and in good faith, I can only encourage you to proceed with your Tabac victory lap. Your willingness to proceed would be a testament not only to our friendship, but it would also very likely strengthen U.S.-Canadian international ties and even your marriage. 🤣 The ball is in your court, good sir, and everyone is watching.

HOWEVER, I still consider us friends
This point will never be in doubt
I can only encourage you to proceed with your Tabac victory lap.
Tabac Victory Lap? Would this technically be a paradox or an oxymoron?:cool:
it would also very likely strengthen U.S.-Canadian international ties
Sending more Bourbon would help too!
and even your marriage.
If I rely on Tabac for a good marriage, swmbo married down…:unsure:
The ball is in your court, good sir, and everyone is watching.
You are right. We are in complete agreement. You failed in front of many…

SOTD 11/20/21
Stirling SS, AS, Badger brush, High Performance collapsible paddle bowl. Dunshire flavor of the day
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (7)

B856DAF7-70B3-4797-BBD8-6C0432210FDF.jpeg

Edge longevity test day 7

Took extra time today in edge prep and finished with the opinion that what I had was good enough to shave, yet below a fresh edge condition based on styrofoam packing peanut push cutting tests.

I’ve read of folks going 100+ shaves on an edge and wind up asking myself, why? Having dedicated the time and resources to create a shaving edge that pleases me I only wish to develop guidelines for myself on maintenance honing.

At one time I came to largely prefer to pick up and use a shay-vette because it was quick, easy, reliable and repeatable in performance. Even though I still think that way I have arrived at the point of being content enough with straights that it is fun again.

Weekend shaves always provide sufficient time for maximum enjoyment. Normal routine then practice at my buffing baby chasing neck work skills gave continuously improved results. My initial opinion that edge wear was progressing were confirmed when I cross checked with a Feather AC DX and well used blade.

I decided to add in some skills development in my flatblading techniques for as good an edge forward shave as I could ask for.

Delightful finish with my newly adopted use of talc dusting.

Post shave stropping and edge check say give it another shave.

Have a great weekend gang.

Great open blade progress Bill! There’s some folks that do light touch ups on stone after each shave…I have to imagine that might be the best way to maintain, though perhaps overkill. Whatever floats ones boat!

Great open blade progress Bill! There’s some folks that do light touch ups on stone after each shave…I have to imagine that might be the best way to maintain, though perhaps overkill. Whatever floats ones boat!
I use cBN charged strops every shave. I’ve heard folks maintain almost indefinitely that way but it has not been my experience. I’m trying to find the number that works for me.

It was time for a vid

Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

SOTD 11/12/21

Stirling Glacial Black Cherry SS
Stirling brush and paddle bowl
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (5)
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdP

View attachment 67115

I think Joseph @primotenore has me heading for fragheadism. Thx Joseph, great stuff for sure.
I think fragheadism suits you! Great shave kit, as usual! Enjoyed the video.

SOTD 11/16/21

Fine 21st Century Soap - Clubhouse
Fine bowl
Simpsons Emperor 2 brush
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (6)
Fine Clubhouse AS
Talc

View attachment 67384

I got some stuff today from Fine. After being delighted at the performance of my first exposure to NOS Fine original American Blend 3x soap, I bought some Lavender flavor which was still in stock. Being the prudent individual that I am, I went ahead and bulked up the cart for discount and FREE shipping.

Clubhouse is very close to its namesake, so I figure if you hate that stuff you should hate this too. I was interested to see how Mr Fine had done on finding another mfg’r for his soaps after the first closed up shop. The lather started frothing right away which surprised me and the light airily way it puffed off the tub concerned me, so I went for a bulk loading (which was not needed). In the bowl it quickly jumped to fine aeration and took plenty of water to make it slosh to my liking. I was very pleased with results and recommend no fear to those who wish to give the new stuff a try. It is a top tier performer like the original 3x.

After stropping the longevity test TI, the packing peanut test was okay but lower than what I prefer. Shaving has been getting smoother as I progress in my evaluation. The sharpness is off some, but not enough to have me running for another tool yet. I’ll spend a little more time on the charged balsa and animal skins next shave. Never fear though, the tool proved capable of delivering a little red kiss 💋 in an instant of complacency that alum could still handle. I do ooze out a bit easier on my new meds. The stuff was described as ‘aspirin on steroids’.

I do figure if the edges degrade on a replaceable blade tool in 5+ shaves it is unrealistic for me to expect to use a integral tool indefinitely. But, using abrasive charged strops is sharpening, so time will tell.

My wife, who chose to go to barbering school and become licensed but not pursue work in that field has been cutting my hair for over 35 years. She always trims the nape with clippers but doesn’t dust anymore. My previous barber always used a razor, lube, AS and talc. Until I showed up here at TSC, I had not seen or considered the use of talc as an aftershave treatment. When I was a traveling coat & tie, I daily used talc to make the electric Braun foil shaver slip and glide. I still had some talc in inventory from way back. If you are going to test it out like I did today, make sure it is real talc, I found long ago the cornstarch stuff clumps.

Following the examples set on the @NurseDave and @BarberDave vids, I figured I’d give it a try. It really adds a nice finish and comfortable feel to the shave. It will be a permanent add-in for me. Thx guys.

Oh one more thing, even if you are okay with polarizing aroma shave products, if you shave before bed and use a sleep machine, think about going citrus. Breathing Pinaud Clubman in your CPAP all night is not recommended even if you like it.
Breathing any Clubman is not recommended! 😉

SOTD 11/20/21
Stirling SS, AS, Badger brush, High Performance collapsible paddle bowl. Dunshire flavor of the day
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (7)

View attachment 67737

Edge longevity test day 7

Took extra time today in edge prep and finished with the opinion that what I had was good enough to shave, yet below a fresh edge condition based on styrofoam packing peanut push cutting tests.

I’ve read of folks going 100+ shaves on an edge and wind up asking myself, why? Having dedicated the time and resources to create a shaving edge that pleases me I only wish to develop guidelines for myself on maintenance honing.

At one time I came to largely prefer to pick up and use a shay-vette because it was quick, easy, reliable and repeatable in performance. Even though I still think that way I have arrived at the point of being content enough with straights that it is fun again.

Weekend shaves always provide sufficient time for maximum enjoyment. Normal routine then practice at my buffing baby chasing neck work skills gave continuously improved results. My initial opinion that edge wear was progressing were confirmed when I cross checked with a Feather AC DX and well used blade.

I decided to add in some skills development in my flatblading techniques for as good an edge forward shave as I could ask for.

Delightful finish with my newly adopted use of talc dusting.

Post shave stropping and edge check say give it another shave.

Have a great weekend gang.
Fabulous shave, Bill! I‘m definitely a flatblading fan, but talc just doesn’t do it for me! To each his own!

SOTD 11/16/21

Fine 21st Century Soap - Clubhouse
Fine bowl
Simpsons Emperor 2 brush
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (6)
Fine Clubhouse AS
Talc

View attachment 67384

I got some stuff today from Fine. After being delighted at the performance of my first exposure to NOS Fine original American Blend 3x soap, I bought some Lavender flavor which was still in stock. Being the prudent individual that I am, I went ahead and bulked up the cart for discount and FREE shipping.

Clubhouse is very close to its namesake, so I figure if you hate that stuff you should hate this too. I was interested to see how Mr Fine had done on finding another mfg’r for his soaps after the first closed up shop. The lather started frothing right away which surprised me and the light airily way it puffed off the tub concerned me, so I went for a bulk loading (which was not needed). In the bowl it quickly jumped to fine aeration and took plenty of water to make it slosh to my liking. I was very pleased with results and recommend no fear to those who wish to give the new stuff a try. It is a top tier performer like the original 3x.

After stropping the longevity test TI, the packing peanut test was okay but lower than what I prefer. Shaving has been getting smoother as I progress in my evaluation. The sharpness is off some, but not enough to have me running for another tool yet. I’ll spend a little more time on the charged balsa and animal skins next shave. Never fear though, the tool proved capable of delivering a little red kiss 💋 in an instant of complacency that alum could still handle. I do ooze out a bit easier on my new meds. The stuff was described as ‘aspirin on steroids’.

I do figure if the edges degrade on a replaceable blade tool in 5+ shaves it is unrealistic for me to expect to use a integral tool indefinitely. But, using abrasive charged strops is sharpening, so time will tell.

My wife, who chose to go to barbering school and become licensed but not pursue work in that field has been cutting my hair for over 35 years. She always trims the nape with clippers but doesn’t dust anymore. My previous barber always used a razor, lube, AS and talc. Until I showed up here at TSC, I had not seen or considered the use of talc as an aftershave treatment. When I was a traveling coat & tie, I daily used talc to make the electric Braun foil shaver slip and glide. I still had some talc in inventory from way back. If you are going to test it out like I did today, make sure it is real talc, I found long ago the cornstarch stuff clumps.

Following the examples set on the @NurseDave and @BarberDave vids, I figured I’d give it a try. It really adds a nice finish and comfortable feel to the shave. It will be a permanent add-in for me. Thx guys.

Oh one more thing, even if you are okay with polarizing aroma shave products, if you shave before bed and use a sleep machine, think about going citrus. Breathing Pinaud Clubman in your CPAP all night is not recommended even if you like it.
Clubman in the CPAP...:unsure:

SOTD 11/21/21

Fine Clubhouse 21st Century shave croap & bowl
Stirling brush & Agressive DE head on Razorock handle
Unobtainium Sharp Star blade (1)
Pinaud Clubman AS
Talc dusting by JTSpartan tooling

A4ACC35F-814F-42B7-989E-59FFABB2150A.jpeg

Great DE shave following Thanksgiving #1 yesterday

Made a vid with credits to @NurseDave for inspiration.
Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

Wishing the Cadre a Blessed Thanksgiving time.

Thanksgiving day Shave 11/25/21

Stirling SS, AS, SfH flavor of the day, big Badger brush
Symmetrical Pottery steampunk bowl
Convex mounted calfhide strop, (0.10 micron cBN charged convex balsa not shown)
6/8 Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra, Edge Day (8)

A70BA6DE-50F0-4062-940F-4C29E2A8E681.jpeg

As I go along with edge tests, I find that the small step down from that fresh edge feel to be missing and a little more work is required for the post shave step back to the plateau. Not too difficult and I could probably happily continue this pattern a long long time with Thiers Issard C135 steel and their molten lead hardening process. I’m off work for 10 days so I may give this piece a fresh edge with a hollow back bevel after I reshape my coticule on a 3’ radius. Video for those interested? Maybe.

My first Thanksgiving meal was last Saturday to accommodate daughter #2 who is now traveling. We made one of those heat and serve smoked turkeys with the normal round of sides. SWMBO is working today and tomorrow so our Turkey dinner #2 will be this Saturday.

It will be good to relax for a week, but I anticipate I’ll be almost buried when I get back for the rest of the year. No complaints since COVID had things so slow for so long, I wondered why they didn’t lay a bunch of us off. Picking and choosing suitable jobs was easier without the additional 20 years of age and wisdom I now have.

Great shave with great stuff. Stirling for Him is a dupe of Versace for Him and ranks super high on the Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks.

Did 2-1/2 passes and practiced my buffing and added in some flatblading for the finish polish. A talc dust smoothed things even more.

Wishing everyone a blessed Thanksgiving day holiday and a happy kickoff to the year end season.

I am very thankful to have found TSC and the great group of folks who consider this the home of their shave hobby.
Bill

Back