The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

30 November, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Busy weekend and I'm kinda glad to get back to the normality and banality of work..

Well let's get things started with some tunes for your Monday morning. I rediscovered Thomas Dolby over the weekend. Hadn't listen to any of his music for a long time and had forgotten how good and diverse he really is. If you're only familiar with him from the "She Blinded Me With Science" hit, you're missing out on so much! So here's a few from my all-time fave TD album, Aliens Ate My Buick..

Great shave today. Skipped yesterday so today was extra enjoyable!! ;)

Proraso Preshave Cream / Saponificio Varesino "Dolomiti" Shave Soap / PAA "Amber Aerolite"
Rockwell 6S / Kai / Alum / Duke Cannon Ice Cold Aftershave Balm / John Varvatos EdT

IMG-4890.jpg

1 December, 2020

Good morning Cadre!!

🥳🎆We are only 31 days away from being done with 2020!!🎆🎉

But first, music!! Been a fan of Porcupine Tree since I first discovered them in 2000 with their album Lightbulb Sun. If you've never heard of them, I urge you check them out.

Wow! If there's such a thing as a "perfect shave", I experienced it this morning. Shaving bliss!!! If you haven't tried Chris's Aftershave Tonic, you're doing yourself a disservice!

Hope you have a great day!

Proraso Preshave Cream / PAA "The Starcraft" / CBL "Black Rose Oud" Shave Soap
Rockwell 6S (plate 3) / Kai / Alum / CBL "Black Rose Oud" Aftershave Tonic

IMG-4900.jpg

2 December, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

The countdown continues! 30 days until we put the "Year of Suck" behind us!!

Let's get this going with today's "Morning Music" segment. I was blown away when I first saw this video. First, it features the great Dave Weckl on drums, but for me (as a bassist), the star of the video is Mohini Dey on bass guitar. This girl goes full beast-mode at three minutes in. Hope you enjoy!

Another incredible shave this morning! Fantastic lather from the Fine "Santal Absolut" soap. I grabbed my wife's bottle of hyaluronic acid stuff and mixed a few drops into the splash to see if would help with its tendency to be drying. Its consistency reminded me of glycerin. But it really made a difference with post-splash face feel. Significantly less dryness. Felt great! May have to get a bottle for myself!!

Hope you have a great day!!

Proraso Preshave Cream / Fine Accoutrements "Santal Absolut" Shave Soap / PAA "Solar Flare / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet Super Iridium / Alum / Fine Accoutrements "Santal Absolut" + Hyaluronic Acid / AoS Sandalwood EdT

IMG_4912.JPG

I tuned in to WMRK and was wondering what the heck this has to do with Christmas. Never the less, it was an interesting listen. Some international flair and a good viewing.

That's an interesting addition. I've used and enjoyed Fine soaps and agree that the post shave feel could be better. Nice solution, considering the hard pucks last forever and are cheap.

3 December, 2020

The countdown continues! 29 days until we put the "Year of Suck" behind us!!

Well this is embarrassing... Got so busy this morning forgot to take a SotD pic.. 🥸 So, gonna skip that portion for now. But, we ALWAYS need music! How about the sultry tones of Stevie Nicks to get your day going??

Come back later for the SotD break down..

AR-200317933.jpg

FYI my dad is a big jazz fan and I shared your music selection with him. He was impressed with the group.

Addendum to yesterday's SOTD post....

As promised, here is the shave from yesterday. Fantastic from start to finish!

Proraso Preshave Cream / Grooming Essentials "Melange d'agrumes" Shave Soap / PAA "Amber Aerolite / RR Game Changer
Wizamet Super Iridium / Alum / Grooming Essentials "Melange d'agrumes" Skin Food Splash / P&G Old Spice

IMG_4927E.JPG

4 December, 2020

The countdown continues! 28 days until we put the "Year of Suck" behind us!!

Heard just a snippet of this artist this morning and I decided to feature him for today's "Morning Music" segment. With a Fender Stratocaster and a most difficult to pronounce name, Yngwie Malmsteen took the concept of "Neoclassical Rock" (pioneered by Deep Purple's guitarist Ritchie Blackmore) into the heavy metal mainstream. Incorporating classical influences from Bach and Niccolo Paganini and combining them with 70's Heavy Metal, he created a new sub-genre which he still reigns over to this day. Here are a couple of tracks from his 1984 debut.

Not the greatest shave today. Not sure why. Maybe I was distracted.. I didn't sleep well last night. That could have contributed.. Maybe the planets with misaligned... Whatever the reason, today's shave left a lot to be desired.

First time using the Nivea splash that the wife got me (yeah, she's contributing to my disorder now!). I really like it!

Hope you have a great day!

Proraso Preshave Cream / Saponificio Varesino "70th Anniversary" Shave Soap / PAA "The Star Craft" / RR Game Changer
Wizamet Super Iridium / Alum / Nivea "Deep Comforting" Aftershave Lotion + 100% Hyaluronic Acid Serum

IMG_4928.JPG

Back