The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

31 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Lets get this Monday kicked off with today's "Morning Music" segment. The next couple of days I'm going to feature music from the last of the three bassists who continue to inspire me. Tony Levin has recorded with some of the biggest names in the biz, providing low-end thump to the music of King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Stevie Nicks, Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon and many many more! You can read more about him here.

Today I'm gonna feature a couple of tracks from his work with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel.

Hope you enjoy!

Finishing out August with an old school shave featuring a razor I had actually forgot I had! It's a 1958 Flare Tip Super Speed TV Special (D-1). Great shave! Two pass and a touch up was all I needed today!

Hope you have a great day!!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Synth / PAA "DAB" Shave Soap / 1958 Gillette SS Flare Tip
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Williams "Aqua Velva" Aftershave / Avon "Deep Woods" EdC

IMG-4259.jpg

@Somnos, Thank you sir! You know your stuff! Yeah the half bridge came like that for a hardtail this year (c2007). I bought the brass compensated bridge pieces from Callaham (they're actually for a Tele, but they fit perfectly). I've modded other Fenders with his hardware; he makes nice stuff! The Seymour Duncan hot rails were on it when I bought it. I play it thru a Victoria 5112, mostly the neck p/u. It kinda screams on a slow blues! Thanks for your comments! :)

@Somnos, Thank you sir! You know your stuff! Yeah the half bridge came like that for a hardtail this year (c2007). I bought the brass compensated bridge pieces from Callaham (they're actually for a Tele, but they fit perfectly). I've modded other Fenders with his hardware; he makes nice stuff! The Seymour Duncan hot rails were on it when I bought it. I play it thru a Victoria 5112, mostly the neck p/u. It kinda screams on a slow blues! Thanks for your comments! :)

Oops! Sorry @MarkB I missed your question the first time through... it is your thread, right?? :whistle: :)

All quality gear and the Callahan stuff is top notch. It screams “slide” beast to me but you’d kill it with a brass nut. When all this foolishness is over we are going to have a serious TSC Jam! Have Lesters, will travel. So that bridge was stock?! I have to check my catalogues for that model....

@MarkB @Somnos

Here's a couple closer shots that show the bridge and the back of the body. Again, it's a hardtail model start which means that there's no cut out for the tremolo/vibrato arm. I wanted the hardtail bridge and found this one lightly used with hotter pick-ups than a standard model. Just changed the bridge saddles to brass; the originals were pot metal so there's better sustain w/ brass. You guys know that though... :)

Sorry for the rant! MarkB, sorry to hijack your journal. Thanks, Charlie

IMG_4210.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

@MarkB @Somnos

Here's a couple closer shots that show the bridge and the back of the body. Again, it's a hardtail model start which means that there's no cut out for the tremolo/vibrato arm. I wanted the hardtail bridge and found this one lightly used with hotter pick-ups than a standard model. Just changed the bridge saddles to brass; the originals were pot metal so there's better sustain w/ brass. You guys know that though... :)

Sorry for the rant! MarkB, sorry to hijack your journal. Thanks, Charlie

View attachment 34207

View attachment 34208
No worries! I love getting geeky on gear!! ;)

1 September, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

For today's "Morning Music" segment I wanted to feature some friends of mine based out of the Mobile, AL area. Great band called Analog Missionary. Great band! Think Tori Amos meets mellow King Crimson.

Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today! I'm pleasantly surprised at what an efficient razor the '58 Flare Tip is. Two-pass shave with a touch-up was all I needed again today. Finished with some of the Avon Blend 7 splash. First time using it and really liked it. The first thing that I got when applied was similar to English Leather without the citrus notes. That quickly faded and what remained was a nice leather, spicy-sweet anise and some smoke. To be honest it reminds me a lot of Knize Ten so that's what I paired it with. Great shave!

Proraso Preshave Cream / PAA "The WOW Signal" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket"1958 Flare Tip
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Avon Blend 7 Aftershave Splash / Knize Ten EdT

IMG-4263.jpg

2 September, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

How about some Chick Corea's Electric Band for this morning's music segment. Well, you're getting it anyway!! From the 1991 album Beneath The Mask here's "A Wave Goodbye" & "One of Is is Over 40.

Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today though I can tell it's time to change the blade. Again, two-pass shave with a touch-up was all I needed.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / PAA "Doppelganger Tri-Color" Shave Soap / Yaqi "Balrog" 28mm Synthetic
1958 Gillette Flare Tip SS / Gillette Nacet / Alum / PAA "Doppelganger Tri-Color" Aftershave Splash

IMG-4267.jpg

Oh man, all I'm hearing is no love for the pan flute!
Not at all @NurseDave ! Love the pan flute! But you led with Zamfir..... There's no way to follow that up....

giphy.gif

Back