The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

This is Frank, sitting in for Mark on WMRK! I'm privileged to be able to present the work of two of my favorite bassists from my youth, Geddy Lee and Chris Squire. I spent countless hours in my teen years trying to ape the bass parts these guys laid down.

First, we have YYZ by Rush. It's a little on the hard side, but ultimately playful. Pro tip: YYZ is the three-letter code for Toronto Airport, and the rhythm of the song is what you get when you play YYZ ub morse code.

YYZ by Rush

Next, we have The Fish by Yes. This song, with the bass as the sole instrument, concludes with Jon Anderson and crew chanting the name of the fish in question in Latin.

The Fish by Yes

It's been my pleasure to serve you, I now return you to your shaving pleasures.

Frank
Nice job Frank! Mark is fortunate to have some great fill-in disc jockeys!

24 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Missed a couple of days last week and wanted to get one more "Morning Music" segment in featuring the work of bassist Anthony Jackson. Going to finish up with Anthony's work with some notable pianists; Hiromi Uehara, Michel Camilo & Michel Petrucciani. If you're not familiar with them, go check them out!!

Hope you have a great day!!! :)

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / Fine "L'Orange Noir" Shave Soap / PAA "The Solar Flare / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Fine "L'Orange Noir" Aftershave Splash / Terre d'Hermes EdT

IMG-4204.jpg

25 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

Let's get right into today's Morning Music segment. Another bassist that I really admire is the great Pino Palladino. Likely you have no idea who this guy is but you've undoubtedly heard his playing on hit songs by Elton John, Don Henley, John Mayer and many, many more. First, a little background..

Here are a couple more songs featuring Pino. The first is the Paul Young song (mentioned in the above video) and one from Simon Harris's Unidentified Flying Project. Hope you enjoy!

Back to an "Old School" themed shave today. Proraso is one of my all-time favorite scents, especially the green splash. So when Phoenix Shaving came out with a shave soap with a scent based on it, I had to score a tub. Gotta say, It smells exactly like the splash! Of course my trusty '64 Gillette Slim and the Phoenix Shaving "Peregrino" brush which is patterned after an Ever-Ready 500E.

26f384be111763224a1c9cb734240cbb.jpg

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" / PAA "Awesome Sauce" Shave Soap
1964 Gillette Slim / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Proraso Green Aftershave Splash

IMG-4209.jpg

Ya, 7 days more!
7 days?? Oh no, no, no... There will be more than that, my friend.

giphy.gif

26 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you have a pleasant night.

Woke up in a Paul Simon mood this morning so for today's "Morning Music" let's go with a couple from his mega-successful 1986 album Graceland. Hope you enjoy!

"Old Schooling" it back to 1973 with Paco Rabanne Pour Homme this morning. Love this frag!

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / PAA "Doppelganger Green" (Paco Rabanne Pour Homme)
1964 Gillette Slim / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Paco Rabanne Pour Homme Aftershave Splash

IMG-4229.jpg

Back