The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Well, well, well. :: slips into DJ voice :: Gooooooooood morning from WMRK. Start your day with double you M....R.....K.... Today we are venturing away from the bass and to an instrument I believe had not been featured on our morning show before. It's time to spend a little time with the pan flute!

Our first selection is by Damian Drăghici from Romania. Damian attended the Berklee College of Music on full scholarship and has since had a successful career in LA. Not to disappoint the second musical selection for our coffee morning is from Gheorghe Zamfir himself. Also from Romania and was discovered by a Swiss music researcher doing work in Romanian folk music. Zamfir is known for playing an expanded version of normally 20-pipe nai, with 22, 25, 28 or even 30 pipes, to increase its range, and obtaining as many as eight overtones (additional to the fundamental tone) from each pipe by changing his embouchure. He is known as "The Master of the Pan Flute".

Please watch our website as new t-shirts and coffee mugs should be released soon.

This is Frank, sitting in for Mark on WMRK! I'm privileged to be able to present the work of two of my favorite bassists from my youth, Geddy Lee and Chris Squire. I spent countless hours in my teen years trying to ape the bass parts these guys laid down.

First, we have YYZ by Rush. It's a little on the hard side, but ultimately playful. Pro tip: YYZ is the three-letter code for Toronto Airport, and the rhythm of the song is what you get when you play YYZ ub morse code.

YYZ by Rush

Next, we have The Fish by Yes. This song, with the bass as the sole instrument, concludes with Jon Anderson and crew chanting the name of the fish in question in Latin.

The Fish by Yes

It's been my pleasure to serve you, I now return you to your shaving pleasures.

Frank

Yes @NurseDave the pan flute is an under appreciated instrument. Much like the triangle and Jew’s Harp. When I was in 5th grade I had my Jew’s Harp confiscated by Mrs. McBride.
Who knows what may have happened if my musical genius had not been so tragically halted from blooming.
Fluffy and the Deaf Tones was not meant to be I guess.

Last edited:

The Who realized the ability of the Jews Harp. With it’s special range in the sound spectrum. To stimulate the section of the Occipital lobe responsible for the feeling of euphoria.

Last edited:
Back