The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

29 June, 2020

Good morning all!

Apologies for my lack of participation this past weekend. On call with the job and the wife and I were doing a lot of things around the house. Didn't really have time for anything more than lurking. I would like to take a moment for a quick shout-out to @Patelliott for sending me some samples of the Stirling "Baker Street" shave soap and balm. Used it Saturday and really liked the scent. So, thanks, again brother!! Definitely gonna have to snag some!

In a Shadowfax mood this morning so for today's "Morning Music" segment, from the album The Odd Get Even, here is Shadowfax with "Oasis" & "Her Dress Hangs There"

Great shave today. I can tell I'll need to swap the blade out tomorrow though. Lots of tugging and a couple of weepers this morning. But the alum block fixed it up and everything's right as rain.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Black Bot" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" Brush / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette 7 O'Click Black / Alum / PAA "Black Bot" Aftershave Splash & EdP

IMG-3875.jpg

30 June, 2020

Good morning!

For today's edition of "Morning Music" on WMRK Internet Radio, I thought I'd feature both one of my favorite bassists and favorite bands. The bassist is Mark King and the band is Level 42. Here they are with "Something About You" & "Love Games". Hope you enjoy!

Closing out the month with some menthol goodness. High 90's here today with heat indices at or above the century mark. Also wanted to close out with a June Themes shave. I've actually been participating all month as I only use Stirling Bath Soaps. My alum block is from Stirling as well. ;)

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Stirling Soap Co. "Glacial Satsuma" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. "Kong" synthetic / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Stirling "Satsuma" Aftershave Splash w/ Menthol / Roger & Gallet "Bois D'Orange"

IMG-3885.jpg

1 July, 2020

Good morning all!

For today's "Morning Music" I decided to pull out something from the "quirkier" side of things. The band is called "Gizmodrome" and features some musical heavy-hitters. Mark King on bass (Level 42), Stewart Copeland on Drums (The Police, Film & Video Game Composer), Adrian Belew on guitar (Frank Zappa &, King Crimson along with his solo music) & Vittorio Cosma on keyboards (Jazz, fusion and rock from Varese, Italy). Now they could have gone with either Belew or King on lead vocals and it would have been a very good album.. But what really pushes this album over the line into greatness is that Copeland sings on it! Slightly off key and atonal in places, it adds a lightness that shows that all involved were ultimately wanting something that musically could compete with anything out there but showed that they don't take themselves too seriously. It's a fun album! Hope there's more!

Great shave today! Went with the A&E "Kaizen" soap and was blown away with its scent and performance. Very floral-forward to my nose with only hints of the other notes. Also tried and new sample I received with my last Phoenix Shaving order, a Star Jelly sample with a scent called "Garden of Bali" which was heavy floral as well and went nicely with the scent of the soap. Had to get a little spicy green in the mix so I finished with some vintage Avon "Tai Winds" EdC.

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / A&E "Kaizen" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" Brush / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette Nacet / Alum / PAA "Garden of Bali" Star Jelly / Avon "Tai Winds" EdC

IMG-3894.jpg

IMG-3895.jpg

Last edited:
Back