The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

25 June, 2020

Good morning all!

Let's ease into this Thursday morning with a track from the early 80's. That was a magical time to me. Disco was in its last throes and pop music hadn't gone to the full-on synth wash it would develop into as the decade progressed. Here's one from that time that has been a favorite of mine to this day. The song is "Hearts" by Marty Balin. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today! Needed an "Old Spice" fix so I went with the Barrister's Reserve "Spice". Went a little off script in the finish though. Went to grab the bottle of Stirling Spice and saw the bottle of Fine's "American Blend" EdT and grabbed it instead. It actually pairs quite well with the (Indian) Old Spice splash.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Brush / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black / Alum / Indian Old Spice Aftershave Splash / Fine "American Blend" EdT

IMG-3851.jpg

26 June, 2020

Good morning all!

In a Bowie mood this morning so for your "Morning Music" here's a David Bowie two-fer with "Loving the Alien" & "Nite Flights"

Hope you have a great Friday.

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Gondolier" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" Brush / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black / Alum / Floid Vigoroso / John Varvatos EdT

IMG-3863.jpg

Went online and checked them out. Really nice looking watches! Says they were the official supplier to the Soviet Union Ministry of Defense back in the 80's.

Two great Bowie selections! I had Loving The Aliens on a cassette in college, and primarily know Night Flights from the Walker Brothers original. I'm a big Scott Walker fan. Only years later did I come across the Bowie cover. I like them both!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Two great Bowie selections! I had Loving The Aliens on a cassette in college, and primarily know Night Flights from the Walker Brothers original. I'm a big Scott Walker fan. Only years later did I come across the Bowie cover. I like them both!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I too had Loving The Alien on cassette back in the day. Listening to "Black Tie White Noise" (the album the other song is from) always makes me think of my Navy days and being stationed in Orlando where I went for technical training after boot camp.

Brothers from another mother, apparently! Got another couple around here: a Mike Lull (RIP) modern Jazz 4, and a Fender special edition P bass. Also, numerous 6 strings (acoustic and electric), a mando, and a uke! Have fun making music!!

View attachment 28226
Sadowsky!!! NICE!!! 🤩

The builder of the basses at the beginning of my journal were made by Anthony Valenti who worked at Roger's shop. I'd like to get a Modern 5 someday. I'm really liking the Satin Series Roger has now.

7267_s_lg.jpg

Sorry, had to go out on my own for the music today. I couldn't get into the retro thing again.

Awesome! I spent about a year in Milan on a job assignment in 2010-11. This reminds me of a small cafe/restaurant (Il Kaimano) in the Brera district by the esteemed art school. It was pedestrian only, cobblestones, you get the idea. Every weekend there was a guy who played guitar on the streets for tips. Such a beautiful feeling. Il dolce far niente! Ciao!

Back