The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Let's keep the party going here!! How 'bout some Morris Day and the Time?!?! Let me hear you say "OH-E-OH-E-OH"!!

I think you've nailed it, Ben. For me, I love all barbershop scents; they just smell good IMO.

Your musical tastes run the gamut, Mark. Not surprising, being that you're a musician.
I've always tried to listen to as much music as possible, Bruce. Music was ALWAYS present in my house growing up. My dad's from Puerto Rico so Salsa, Latin Jazz and Merengue along with 50's hits and Country music. I learned about harmony from growing up in a Baptist church. My own musical tastes, as you said, run the gamut! You name it, I probably listen to it! LOL!

As a musician, I wanted as big a "musical vocabulary" as possible!

I mentioned earlier that the bass player I lived with in Philly back in the early 90s practiced playing James Jamerson parts for hours on end. His other main influence was Bootsy Collins. You've sent me spiraling down memory lane this week. Interestingly, the members of the band all eventually became lawyers and programmers. Not the bass player. 25 years later, George is a full time NYC studio session player, living the dream. And according to his wife, he still puts in 6 hours of practice every day, without fail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I mentioned earlier that the bass player I lived with in Philly back in the early 90s practiced playing James Jamerson parts for hours on end. His other main influence was Bootsy Collins. You've sent me spiraling down memory lane this week. Interestingly, the members of the band all eventually became lawyers and programmers. Not the bass player. 25 years later, George is a full time NYC studio session player, living the dream. And according to his wife, he still puts in 6 hours of practice every day, without fail.

Wow! I would have loved to be able to make a living that way!

Glad you enjoyed the music! :)

19 June, 2020

Happy Friday, Cadre!!

Well the band reassembled last night for our first practice together since March and it wasn't the dumpster fire I thought it might be! Went very well in fact! Roger, our lead guitarist brought his pedal steel and it added a whole new element to our sound! I've always loved the sound of the instrument. We also have a piano/keyboardist who has expressed interest in joining. If we could get him, the sky's the limit!! So for today's edition of WMRK's "Morning Music", here's Marty Williams & the Ain't Half Bad Band performing the Brooks & Dunn song, You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! The RazoRock "Label" series soaps are great! I've yet to use one that didn't provide an incredibly smooth and close shave!

As always, thanks for reading!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / RazoRock "Gold Label" (AdP Colonia) Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 Brush / Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette Silver Blue Blade / Alum / RazoRock "xXx" Aftershave Splash / AdP Colonia EdC

IMG-3786.jpg

Whenever I go to the Grand Ole Opry I'm fixated on the pedal steel player. I play piano and bass, and I guess to some people, using all 10 fingers on a keyboard is magical - I've been doing it since I was 6, so it's no big deal. But to me, the pedal steel is the most formidable instrument I've ever seen. Both hands, knees, and feet - changing intervals, and the precision required to be on pitch. I just don't think I could ever learn to play one!

I just ordered the four pack of the label soaps. I have a few pucks of the old What the Puck orange and lime. Great value soaps. The scents could be stronger for my liking but the shave is great. And the price is awesome.

22 June. 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Hope everyone had a great weekend and, for all the dads here, a wonderful Father's Day!

For today's edition of WMRK's "Morning Music", I wanted to feature a band that most have probably never heard of. Pop, Jazz, Funk, Fusion and excellent musicians! They're from Stockholm, Sweden and are called Dirty Loops!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Doppelganger Green Label (Paco Rabanne)" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Paco Rabanne Aftershave Splash / Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

IMG-3822.jpg

Back