The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

All Caught up Mark, Like to hear the rib method
Yeah, the 3-2-1 method is really very simple..
  1. Prep the ribs the night before by removing the "silverskin"and seasoning with whichever rub you like. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave in fridge overnight.
  2. Next day. Get you smoker up to temp. For ribs I go for 225°.
  3. Place ribs on rack bone-side down and smoke for three hours using whichever variety of wood you like. For ribs I typically use hickory although I do use apple at times. I put the smoke to them heavily for the first hour. IME that's where most of your smoke flavor will come from anyway. Go ahead and prep for the next step by getting enough sheets of aluminum foil to wrap the ribs.
  4. After three hours remove the ribs and wrap tightly in the foil. At this point some people will add honey, fruit juice, agave, etc. in the foil with the ribs so they'll baste. This past weekend I put a dollop of peach preserves in with mine. Return the ribs to the smoker, meat-side down, and cook for two hours.
  5. Once the two hours have passed, open the foil to vent the steam and cook for an additional hour. The ribs will then be ready to serve.

Step 5 is where I diverge from the way a lot of people I know finish their ribs. Many will apply BBQ sauce at this point and then finish the last hour of the cook. I don't like to do this. I've found that the BBQ sauce gets very thin and watery. I like my ribs when sauced to be thick and sticky. So I don't add anything at this point. Once the final hour has elapsed, I turn on the burners on my gas grill and get it up to ~350°. Once up to temp I turn off all burners except one which I keep on low to maintain temp. I move the ribs to the grill, meat side down and then apply the BBQ sauce. Close the lid and let the sugars in the sauce caramelize. I usually leave mine for four minutes, flip 'em bone-side down and apply sauce to the meat side. After another four minutes they're done and ready. The sauce is thick and sticky and really causes you to make a mess when eating.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 3-2-1 method is really very simple..
  1. Prep the ribs the night before by removing the "silverskin"and seasoning with whichever rub you like. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave in fridge overnight.
  2. Next day. Get you smoker up to temp. For ribs I go for 225°.
  3. Place ribs on rack bone-side down and smoke for three hours using whichever variety of wood you like. For ribs I typically use hickory although I do use apple at times. I put the smoke to them heavily for the first hour. IME that's where most of your smoke flavor will come from anyway. Go ahead and prep for the next step by getting enough sheets of aluminum foil to wrap the ribs.
  4. After two hours remove the ribs and wrap tightly in the foil. At this point some people will add honey, fruit juice, agave, etc. in the foil with the ribs so they'll baste. This past weekend I put a dollop of peach preserves in with mine. Return the ribs to the smoker, meat-side down, and cook for two hours.
  5. Once the two hours have passed, open the foil to vent the steam and cook for an additional one hour. The ribs will then be ready to serve.

Step 5 is where I diverge from the way a lot of people I know finish their ribs. Many will apply BBQ sauce at this point and then finish the last hour of the cook. I don't like to do this. I've found that the BBQ sauce gets very thin and watery. I like my ribs when sauced to be thick and sticky. So I don't add anything at this point. Once the final hour has elapsed, I turn on the burners on my gas grill and get it up to ~350°. Once up to temp I turn off all burners except one which I keep on low to maintain temp. I move the ribs to the grill meat side down and then apply the BBQ sauce. Close the lid and let the sugars in the sauce caramelize. I usually leave mine for four minutes, flip 'em bone-side down and apply sauce to the meat side. After another four minutes they're done and ready. The sauce is thick and sticky and really causes you to make a mess when eating.
Damn! Now that is a process! Might have to try this soon!

27 May, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope everyone's having a wonderful day. Gotta admit, I'm really excited for the SpaceX launch today! Hopefully it'll go off without a hitch.

For today's "Morning Music" I went with some good ol' Rock n Roll. I love the band The Cars and it seems you can't listen to them and feel sad or be in a bad mood. I always wished I could have seen them live. Two classics today. Hope you enjoy!

Today's shave brought to you by Stirling Soap Co. Glacial Satsuma!! COOOOLD!!! 🥶 ❄ Is it odd that I detest cold weather but at the same time I'm a menthol addict?? :unsure: That's me.. A walking contradiction.. 😁

Hope everyone has a great day!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Stirling Soap Co. "Glacial Satsuma" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" Brush / 1964 Gilltte Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Satsuma" Aftershave Splash w. Menthol / AdP Colonia EdC

IMG-3559.jpg

I LOVE THE CARS!!! Yeah...grew up to them and just loved their music. I just never could understand how Rick Ocasek (Lead Singer for the Cars)...

View attachment 25205

Could be married to Paulina Porizkova...

View attachment 25206
No kidding!!

Of course I can't hear "Moving in Stereo" without thinking about Phoebe Cates... :love:

200w.gif

28 May, 2020

Good morning all! Hope everyone's having a wonderful day!

For today's "Morning Music" let's go back to the 1960's and "swingin' bachelor pads".. I stumbled onto the Ultra Lounge label years ago and loved it! Released by Capitol Records, the albums feature music predominantly from the 1950's and 1960's in genres such as exotica, space age pop, mambo, television theme songs, and lounge. Here's a couple of cuts from the "Mondo Exotica" album.

image.jpg

Today's shave brought to you by Phoenix Shaving's "Gondolier". Notes of Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Oakmoss, Coumarin, Citronella, Juniper & Cedar.. Finished with a splash of Floid and some AdP Colonia.

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Gondolier" Shave Soap / PAA "The Solar Flare" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Floid Vigoroso Aftershave Splash / AdP Colonia EdC

IMG-3565.jpg

I'll wait over here while you get your swingin' out of your system ;)

That Tesla has hepa filters for the AC correct? Good call.
Note, I don't have the option below.
Model S & X also have an acid gas filter, an alkaline gas filter & a carbon monoxide detector that autoswitches car to recirc mode. We should prob tell people about this more. Filters are giant, so too big to fit in Model 3.

Naming the feature as ‘Bioweapon Defense Mode’ was seen as a marketing move, but after releasing those results, Tesla argued: “Bioweapon Defense Mode is not a marketing statement. You can literally survive a military grade bio attack by sitting in your car.”

We had that type of system in our tanks. NBC system. Don’t think the smog in the Bay Area justifies the added expense. Unless you have allergies 🤔

29 May, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope everyone's morning is going well!

Let's head to the beach today with Phoenix Shaving's "Good Vibrations". Scent Profile: Rich, late spring tree blossoms such as horse chestnut. Sandalwood, mahogany & rosewood, a light vanilla muskiness, a pinch of rosemary, a soft lavender & amber talc underneath, and oakmoss holding it all together at the base. Such a "Tubular!" soap requires the appropriate soundtrack. You could listen to the known greats like Dick Dale, The Surfaris or The Beach Boys. But I try to introduce you good folks to new stuff. Things you may have never heard before. And so...

Today's "Morning Music" is brought to you by The MelTones! Frm their 2006 album "Surf! Spy! Space!" Here's "Wave Runner" & "Bull In My China Shop"!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Good Vibrations" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / PAA "Good Vibrations" Splash / PAA "Good Vibrations" Solid Cologne

IMG-3584.jpg

Alright Mark, I'm going to have to put you on unpaid leave as my personal DJ if you keep this crap up! ;)

Back