The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

22 May, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Noisy morning here in Alabama. A wave of storms moving through. Right now it's coming a "frog strangler" here, as the saying goes.. Sun's supposed to come out later and then we're in for a taste of that deep south humidity and temps pushing 90° throughout the holiday weekend.

Off work again today.. I have close to 600 hours of vacation built up and dang it, I'm gonna use some of it!! Unlike yesterday, I don't have anything that I "need" to do today. Just gonna play it by ear. Gonna run out later to Lowes and get some mulch and gonna look at dishwashers while I'm there. It's time that we upgraded. The one we have is over 20 years old!

For today's "Morning Music" I went with something easy-going and low-key. Kinda like the day I plan to have. This song is called "Big Sky" by The Rippingtons. I discovered this band back in the 90's and they've really become a favorite of mine when I travel.. Something about long, open stretches of highway (to me) BEGS for music like this. They have their detractors. Being included in genre categories like Smooth Jazz & Jazz Pop puts a lot of people (especially Jazz purists) off. But, you can't say they're not talented musicians and their success speaks for itself. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave today! Replaced the blade in my razor this morning and decided to go with a Voskhod. Haven't used one in a while and thought I'd revisit them for the next round of shaves. I had forgotten how good they were! Smooth, effortless DFS+ shave with no irritation!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Pineapple Bay Rum" Shave Soap / PAA "Starcraft" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Voskhod / Alum / PAA "Pineapple Bay Rum" Aftershave Splash / PAA "Pineapple Bay Rum" EdP

IMG-3506.jpg

Last edited:
For those interested here's the brine recipe I use.

Also picked up a NATO style strap for the Seiko 5 Diver.. Like it a LOT better than the silicone rubber one that came with it.

View attachment 24758
I have a white face Seiko 5 and I like it except that the second hand runs even when the stem is pulled out. Makes it impossible to set it to the second. I've always been a little obsessive about having my watches be right to the second. I like it otherwise. It's one of two Seikos I own, and my only automatic. I love the look of yours!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Getting a lot of instances of lag time with the the page loading and sometime saying the site can’t be reached. Checked other sites and no issues. Did a speed test a getting over 300K upload and download on my phone.

Back