The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Nice Mark I tried spending some time in Heliotropium,but Delos kept sending me back to Westworld LOL

14 May, 2020

Good morning all!

@Somnos has me in a Jazz mood so today's "Morning Music" comes to you courtesy of the great Art Blakey.

For today's shave I'm heading west for a soap with a scent that as dry as the city it's made in at 3pm on a sunny day in July; Phoenix Shaving's "Solstice".

Notes of Sage, Sweetgrass, Cedar & Rose Absolute along with Benzoin Resin.

Great shave. The CK-6 base is magic in a jar! Finished with a splash of Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage & Cedar.

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Solstice" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage & Cedar Aftershave Splash

View attachment 24033

YES! Lee Morgan out front on his horn!!!

19 May, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Today's "Morning Music" is brought to you by what is IMO one of the best bands you've never heard of; Shadowfax. I discovered these guys in the 80's and followed their career until the band disbanded after the death of founding member Chuck Greenberg in 1995.

It had been too long since I had a straight-up Bay Rum shave so today I remedied that! PAA's "Atomic Age Bay Rum" is IMO they best available! Hope everyone has a great day!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Afteshave Splash

IMG-3466.jpg

Nice post Mark! I have the cube, but I wanted to try the CK-6 formula without it. Man oh man what a soap! I have AA Bay Rum on deck for tomorrow, but off the puck it smells incredible. Thanks for recommending it!

Nice post Mark! I have the cube, but I wanted to try the CK-6 formula without it. Man oh man what a soap! I have AA Bay Rum on deck for tomorrow, but off the puck it smells incredible. Thanks for recommending it!
I agree, the soaps are fine on their own. But more is better, right?! Especially when talking about lather slickness. Plus, I'm a menthol addict as much as a Bay Rum / Barbershop addict so win-win!! 🥶

I appreciate the anti-screaming musical choice this morning. But you have to be in the right mood for that. How about a nice dirty funk selection?

19 May, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

Today's "Morning Music" is brought to you by what is IMO one of the best bands you've never heard of; Shadowfax. I discovered these guys in the 80's and followed their career until the band disbanded after the death of founding member Chuck Greenberg in 1995.

It had been too long since I had a straight-up Bay Rum shave so today I remedied that! PAA's "Atomic Age Bay Rum" is IMO they best available! Hope everyone has a great day!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Afteshave Splash

View attachment 24469
Great post! I was a big fan of several Windham Hills artists back in the day. They made some fantastic recordings, and really took advantage of the capabilities of digital recording back when so many DDD recordings were harsh and metallic. And bravo to PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum! It's my favorite scent, and I use their shaving soap, Aftershave and EdT often. I use the deodorant as well, when I use pretty much any Bay Rum. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Great post! I was a big fan of several Windham Hills artists back in the day. They made some fantastic recordings, and really took advantage of the capabilities of digital recording back when so many DDD recordings were harsh and metallic. And bravo to PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum! It's my favorite scent, and I use their shaving soap, Aftershave and EdT often. I use the deodorant as well, when I use pretty much any Bay Rum. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah I was a big fan of WH back then as well. Though Shadowfax was my fave, I also liked and listened to Will Akerman, Michael Hedges and others. I remember when the local VHS rental store got a copy of the WH live concert. I was in heaven!!!

Man...I missed out on the jam session going on in Mark’s thread?! Thank goodness it’s been recorded for posterity.

Funky jams brother! I like it!

20 May, 2020

Good morning Cadre!

For today's "Morning Music" I thought I'd add a little Latin flair. Grammy-award winning pianist / composer Michel Camilo. This song features my all-time favorite bassist, Anthony Jackson. Enjoy!!

Incredible shave this morning!! Love the scent of PAA's "Sun Down". Based on a short-lived Gillette aftershave called "Sun Up".

Notes of Talc, Oakmoss, Lemon, Petitgrain, Bergamot, Lavender, Rose, Animalic Musk, Clary Sage, Vetiver & Sandalwood.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / PAA "Sun Down" Shave Soap / PAA "Solar Flare" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / PAA "Sun Down" Aftershave Splash & Cologne

IMG-3480.jpg

Where's this morning's song? I'm ready to write my journal entry.

21 May, 2020

Good afternoon Cadre!

Sorry for the late post and my deepest apologies to @NurseDave for the lack of "Morning Music". I promise I'll have a good one tomorrow!! Up and out very early this morning, Out to the DMV / License Dept. to renew my DL. I don't think I need to explain what a special level of Hell that is.. After that banking and finally meetings with the lawyer who's handling the Estate / Probate issue. In the process of selling land that was part of the estate. Nothing is easy or fast with any of this.

The day started off great though! Stirling's "Royal" is based on Creed's Millesime Imperial and combines crisp fruit, sea salt, lemon, bergamot, mandarin, iris, musk, woody notes, & marine notes. First time using the "Weekend" aftershave. Very subtle but nice. Opens with a clean / soapy accord and morphs into green and leather notes reminiscent of Paco Rabanne and English Leather. Finished with a few sprays of CK One EdT.

Hope you're all having a great day!!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Stirling Soap Co. "Royal" Shave Soap / PAA "Green Ray" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Vintage Avon "Weekend" Aftershave / CK One EdT

IMG-3494.jpg

Nice Read and sorry about the "Devil's Mothers Vacuum" Hope the day got better

Yeah I was a big fan of WH back then as well. Though Shadowfax was my fave, I also liked and listened to Will Akerman, Michael Hedges and others. I remember when the local VHS rental store got a copy of the WH live concert. I was in heaven!!!

Thanks Mark. I had no idea. Truly an eye (ear) opener for me.

Back