The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

6 September, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Closing out the workweek with a couple of Van Halen classics. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to the setup I've been using of late; TOBS Lime Zest, Paladin, Super Speed, Shulton "Fresh Lime" and Old Spice EdC

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Not the best night's sleep but I'll make ie.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Have you seen a physiotherapist Mark? I know it's all individual, but there are some things I do to help keep the back pain at bay.
I've had PT many times over the last 24 years. In patient rehab / PT after the initial car accident (2000), as well as after my 2013 hip replacement and at various times in between. PT only goes so far because of all the trauma to my lower back & hip.

Hey Mark, not to be labor the point, but after nine back surgeries and other types of modalities, you may want to talk to your doctor about spinal decompression. That’s something that wasn’t really available back when I had my surgeries done, and also I would strongly suggest having a referral to a neurosurgeon just for a consultation that doesn’t mean you’re gonna get surgery but Neuro know the back better than anybody, just my opinion good luck and I hope you start feeling better

Hey Mark, not to be labor the point, but after nine back surgeries and other types of modalities, you may want to talk to your doctor about spinal decompression. That’s something that wasn’t really available back when I had my surgeries done, and also I would strongly suggest having a referral to a neurosurgeon just for a consultation that doesn’t mean you’re gonna get surgery but Neuro know the back better than anybody, just my opinion good luck and I hope you start feeling better
I'll do that. Thanks!!!

9 September, 2024

Getting the workweek started with a couple from Kool & the Gang. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their Aqua Velva homage, "Sacré Bleu" shave soap. Great old school scent with phenomenal lather built with the Paladin "Marley" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super speed and I finished with Williams "Aqua Velva" AS and vintage Pierre Cardin "Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Great weekend. Just not long enough. Back / leg seems to be slowly improving. Hoping the trend continues. With all the issues going on last week I failed to mention that we're currently having out master bath renovated. That's another reason I haven't been posting any SOTD pics lately. All the prep work has been done and the contractor should begin laying tile this week. Can't wait! The wife and I are currently sharing the second, smaller bathroom with a typical tub/shower combo which leaves a lot to be desired.

9 September, 2024

Getting the workweek started with a couple from Kool & the Gang. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their Aqua Velva homage, "Sacré Bleu" shave soap. Great old school scent with phenomenal lather built with the Paladin "Marley" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super speed and I finished with Williams "Aqua Velva" AS and vintage Pierre Cardin "Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Great weekend. Just not long enough. Back / leg seems to be slowly improving. Hoping the trend continues. With all the issues going on last week I failed to mention that we're currently having out master bath renovated. That's another reason I haven't been posting any SOTD pics lately. All the prep work has been done and the contractor should begin laying tile this week. Can't wait! The wife and I are currently sharing the second, smaller bathroom with a typical tub/shower combo which leaves a lot to be desired.

Hope the bathroom renno goes smoothly. In the meantime just pretend you're living in a fancy city in Europe.

10 September, 2024

A nice chill mix for your Tuesday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Basically the same setup as Monday except that I finished with Yves Saint Laurent "Rive Gauche" EdT.

PAA "Sacré Bleu" / Paladin "Marley" / Gillette Super Speed / Williams Aqua Velva / YSL "Rive Gauche"

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Almost fell again last night after my leg gave out from under me. Luckily was able to catch myself on the sink.

Good excuse to buy yourself a pimp cane.
Me walking into work tomorrow.

giphy.gif

10 September, 2024

A nice chill mix for your Tuesday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Basically the same setup as Monday except that I finished with Yves Saint Laurent "Rive Gauche" EdT.

PAA "Sacré Bleu" / Paladin "Marley" / Gillette Super Speed / Williams Aqua Velva / YSL "Rive Gauche"

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Almost fell again last night after my leg gave out from under me. Luckily was able to catch myself on the sink.

ahh the ever present foot drop, sciatica shuffle. Feel for you, Happy, hope you get relief soon!

12 September, 2024

Going with a couple from Canadian rockers, Saga today. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Basically the same setup except that I finished with vintage Avon "Deep Woods" EdC. Mmmmmmmmmm! Smells like the 70's!!

PAA "Sacré Bleu" / Paladin "Marley" / Gillette Super Speed / Williams Aqua Velva / Avon "Deep Woods" EdC

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Work on the master bath is coming along. Can't wait til it's finished. Wind and rain coming through today and tomorrow from the remnants of Francine. Not complaining. We need the rain!

13 September, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple from English rockers, Fastway. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to the lime-a-licious combo of TOBS "Lime Zest" & Shulton "Fresh Lime" AS. Great lather built with the Brad Sears "Gus" select badger brush for two passes with the Gillette Red Tip. Finished with vintage Shulton "Old Spice" EdC

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report:

5088-jpg.135941

Attachments

• 5088.jpg
    5088.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 17
15 September, 2024

It's "Synthwave Sunday" so here's a live stream for you. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to the TOBS "Lime Zest" cream. Great lather built with the Paladin "El Dorado" for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Red Tip and I finished with vintage Shulton Old Spice "Fresh Lime" AS and "Old Spice" EdC

TOBS "Lime Zest" / Paladin / Gillette / Wizamet / Quinn's / Shulton

IMG_5510.jpg

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Work coming along on the bathroom renovation. Should be finished this coming week (hopefully).

16 September, 2024

Getting the workweek kicked off with a couple of classics from Phil Collins. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their excellent "Desert Vetiver" soap and ASL. Great scent and fantastic lather built with the Paladin "El Dorado" for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Red Tip and I finished with the matching after shave lotion and a spritz of Tom Ford "Beau de Jour" EdP

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Not much to report. Great shave and great coffee this morning. Don't need much more.

Saponificio Varesino / Paladin / Gillette / Wizamet / Quinn's / Tom Ford

IMG_5513.jpg

Back