The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

17 August, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a live stream for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week this morning! Returned to my vintage Shulton "Old Spice" shave soap, splash & cologne. Great old school scent with incredible lather built with the Paladin "El Dorado" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed, and I finished with the matching aftershave splash & EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Busy day. On call this week and we had fairly strong storms move through last night. Hope the rest of the weekend's better

Hope you have a great day. :)

Vintage Shulton "Old Spice" / Paladin / Gillette Super Speed / Wizamet

IMG_5443.jpg

19 August, 2024

Going with a couple from Australian rockers, Men at Work today. Hope you enjoy.

A relatively late shave Saturday so I decided to give my face a break yesterday, which set things up for an extra nice shave this morning. Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Bay Rum" shave soap & splash. Great old school bay rum scent with incredible lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Fatboy, and I finished with the matching skin food splash & Hemingway Accoutrements "Nature Isle" EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Blah! Rough night. One of those night where it seemed like I was waking up every thirty minutes. A great shave and coffee are helping. At least I'm not on call this week.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials / Paladin / Gillette / Wizamet / Hemingway Accoutrements

IMG_5451.jpg

20 August, 2024

Going with a couple from Irish rockers, U2 today. Hope you enjoy.

Contender for best shave of the week this morning. Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their excellent "Dolomiti" shave soap & ASL. This is by far my favorite SV soap. The mineral clay used in this soap provides a fantastic post-shave face feel. The scent it light with a citrus top but, to me, morphs into and almost medicinal / incense type scent thanks (I believe) to the sage note. Incredible lather built with the SV 2.0 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed, and I finished with the matching aftershave lotion & Czech & Speake "No.88" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Another break from the typical southern August weather over the next few day. Could have lows in the 50's tomorrow morning. I'm loving it!

Saponificio Varesino / Gillette Super Speed / Wizamet / Czech & Speake

IMG_5458.jpg

21 August, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm going with a couple from Queen Latifa who, in the early 2000's, began releasing albums of jazz and R&B covers under her birth name, Dana Owens. So I'm featuring a couple of cuts from those albums. Truly worth checking out. Hope you enjoy.

Another fantastic shave this morning. Returned to my vintage Crabtree & Evelyn "Mysore Sandalwood" shave soap. Great lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Bisbee" Sweet Spot badger brush. The scent it light but there's still some of the sandalwood when lathered. I finished with D.R. Harris "Sandalwood" aftershave splash & Arden for Men "Sandalwood" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: So nice walking out this morning to come into work. Refreshing! I want more!

Crabtree & Evelyn / Wild West Brushworks / Gillette Aristocrat / Wizamet / D.R. Harris

IMG_5462.jpg

22 August, 2024

Going with a couple today from American guitarist and composer, Pat Metheny. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their Yardley Black Label homage, "The Watcher" shave soap & splash. Excellent old school scent with great lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the 30's Gillette New, and I finished with the matching aftershave splash & Dana "Canoe" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Finally got around to watching "The Last of Us" and I'm loving it. Never played the game, but the show is excellent! From the same people who made "Chernobyl".

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements / Simpson / Gillette New / Wizamet / Dana "Canoe"

IMG_5469.jpg

23 August, 2024

Kicking of this Friday with a couple from 90's Seattle Alt. Rockers, Pearl Jam. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave with which to close out the workweek. Returned to Saponificio Varesino and their excellent "Manna Di Sicilia" shave soap & ASL. Fantastic scent with superb lather built with the SV 2.0 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed, and I finished with the matching aftershave lotion & Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Well the heat is returning for next week. Forecasting 100°+ ambient temps next Wednesday and Thursday. The humidity is supposed to be low however. That should keep it from being as oppressive. Prepping a nice four pound chuck roast to put on the smoker tomorrow. I've heard it called the "Poor man's brisket". First time trying one so we'll see how it turns out.

Saponificio Varesino / Gillette Super Speed / Wizamet / Acqua di Parma

IMG_5476.jpg

26 August, 2024

As a fan of the World Music genre, 1986's Graceland album from Paul Simon was right in my wheelhouse. Featuring (at that time) unknown musicians and vocalists from Johannesburg, South Africa, it introduced many to the cultural, Zulu-rooted vocal and music styles of isicathamiya & mbaqanga. So today I'm going with a couple of tracks from that album. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Bay Gum" shave soap & AS. Fantastic bay rum / fruity bubble gum scent with superb lather built with the Paladin "High-rise Beehive" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Gillette Super Speed, and I finished with the matching aftershave splash.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Busy weekend hence the missing post Saturday. Skipped yesterday so today's shave was extra nice. Tweaked my back yesterday and it's quite painful. All I did was bend over to take some clothes out of the dryer. Getting old is so much fun!! 😣

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements / Gillette Super Speed / Wizamet

IMG_5484.jpg

All I did was bend over to take some clothes out of the dryer. Getting old is so much fun!! 😣
I think I’ve tweaked my neck nerves more in the last couple months than the rest of my life combined! 😂

Hope you get some relief.

Sorry to hear you’re ailing. Back pain sucks. Hope you get relief soon.
On a lighter note, I saw Paul Simon on his Graceland tour here in Pittsburgh. What a band! It was a large ensemble of musicians from around the world, and they were great, super tight, and every note sounded perfect, even when I had no clue what odd instruments they played.

No shave today. Not working today. May be a no shower day. In a LOT of pain. Barely slept last night. Beginning to think I may have a ruptured disc.
ugh as a person who has had 9+ back surgeries, I felt your pain feel free to call to comiserate

Back