The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

10 May, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting your Friday kicked off with a couple from Tears for Fears. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave with which to close out the work week! Returned to Ariana & Evans and their excellent "Cuban Highball" shave soap. Great scent with incredibly slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Timeless TRBR38, and I finished with Murray & Lanman "Agua De Florida".

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: It's Friday! Wooo hoo!!!

Hope you've had a great day. :)

Ariana & Evans "Cuban Highball" Shave Soap / WWBW "Kokopelli" Sweet Spot Badger Brush
Timeless TRBR38 / Gillette Platinum / Alum / Murray & Lanman "Agua De Florida"

IMG_4732.jpg

11 May, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a playlist so you can get your Cyberpunk on. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to Martin de Candre and their excellent "Agrumes" shave soap. Great scent with wonderful lather built with the Paladin Falstaff in "Juma Mamba" 2-Band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S, and I finished with Acqua di Parma "Colonia" balm & EdC.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Man, I had so many plans for this weekend. Revamping my home studio, doing work in the back yard to set up a permanent grilling area, doing work in the garage, etc. But I awoke this morning with a weird muscle cramp in my lower back on the left side. Bad one too. It's the kind of pain that makes you gasp when you move a certain way. Spent a couple of hours alternating heat and cold on it. Even took a muscle relaxer. Finally, I felt good enough to at least jump in the shower. However, after squeegeeing and wiping down the shower walls and floor, it's aggravated again.

Martin de Candre "Agrumes" Shave Soap / Paladin Falstaff 2-Band Select Badger Brush / Timeless TRBR38
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" After Shave Balm & EdC

IMG_4743.jpg

Sorry Mark for the pain, however do the alternative. Have about 9 back surgeries. Your spine will be mostly stainless, titanium, and fake disks. No pain plus all these benefits:

…Fun at airport security
… jokes from your friends about being a terminator

…. 1000’s of years from now, when your are dug up, the archaeologists will state “Damn the Borg were real”

… put your entire nuerosurgeons family through college

… have folks exclaim “you’ve had HOW many back surgeries?”

…. Fusion has a whole new meaning

….. priceless!

(Don’t ask me how I know LOL)

Seriously…. Get well soon!

Sorry Mark for the pain, however do the alternative. Have about 9 back surgeries. Your spine will be mostly stainless, titanium, and fake disks. No pain plus all these benefits:

…Fun at airport security
… jokes from your friends about being a terminator

…. 1000’s of years from now, when your are dug up, the archaeologists will state “Damn the Borg were real”

… put your entire nuerosurgeons family through college

… have folks exclaim “you’ve had HOW many back surgeries?”

…. Fusion has a whole new meaning

….. priceless!

(Don’t ask me how I know LOL)

Seriously…. Get well soon!

So sorry for your back pain, Mark!! Feel better soon!!
Thanks gents. :)

12 May, 2024

Got a playlist from the excellent new series from Amazon Prime, Fallout. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and their excellent "Sun Down" shave soap & splash. Great old school / barbershop scent with super thick and slick lather built with the new Paladin Falstaff in "Satin Honey Noir" 2-Band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '58 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching after shave & EdP.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Back's feeling marginally better today. Was able to get a few things done on my to-do list from yesterday. Still giving me trouble though. Had to take many breaks after very limited movement. I'm kind of worried. This doesn't seem to be associated with the issues I have stemming from the car accident I was in. Hopefully it continues to improve. Have an appointment Wednesday with my doctor and I plan to bring it up to him is it's still not better.

I mentioned the show Fallout that's streaming on Amazon above. Something I've always loved is the "Atomic Age" / "Mid Century Modern" aesthetic from the late 40's into the early 60's that's featured heavily in the show. I have many, many books that deal with the architecture, industrial and commercial design, advertising, art, etc. from that period. Mad Men was another one of my favorite shows. Had I been able, I would have built myself an exact replica of the Vandamm house from Hitchcock's 1959 masterpiece, North by Northwest.

tumblr_lxvykpdFRg1qmoq77o1_1280.jpg

The house didn't actually exist in the real world, but only in film sets and matte paintings. But, to be able to pull it off the screen manifest it into reality would be simply incredible.

In fact, were I stupidly wealthy, I'd love to open an era-accurate restaurant / lounge similar to the Sky Terrace Playroom featured in the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Maybe an authentic "Tiki Bar" too! C'mon winning lottery ticket!! Pap's got dreams to fulfill!!

ezgif-5-a0ccd55ccc.jpg

PAA "Sun Down" Shave Soap / Paladin Falstaff 2-Band Select Badger Brush / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum / Alum / PAA "Sun Down" After Shave Splash & EdP

IMG_4749.jpg

Fallout has been great so far! As a big fan of the Fallout 4 game (which I’ve been inspired to play back through)…loving the campy retro sci fi with the perfect amount of dumb humor.

The house didn't actually exist in the real world, but only in film sets and matte paintings. But, to be able to pull it off the screen manifest it into reality would be simply incredible.
I loved that house. What a great view it had.

13 May, 2024

A couple featuring Phil Collins this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Went with Pedro Fiasco's "Santorini" shave soap made by Ariana & Evans. Great citrus / aquatic scent with super slick lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" HMW badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6, and I finished with Davidoff "Cool Water" after shave splash & EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Monday.. Blah!!! Had to go get blood work done this morning. Back is feeling much better. Not 100% but much improved over the last two days.

Pedro Fiasco's "Santorini" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie HMW Badger Brush / Edwin Jagger 3ONE6
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Davidoff "Cool Water" After Shave Splash & EdT

IMG_4760.jpg

14 May, 2024

A couple from Hoodoo Gurus this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Returned to the vintage Yardley shave soap. Incredibly slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Midnight Mint" Sweet Spot badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock "Mamba 70", and I finished with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Star Jelly" after shave gel & Giorgio Amani "Acqua di Gio" EdT.

The "Happy Hogan" Homefront Report: Dental cleaning appointment first thing this morning, hence the aroma-free shave. Got a small cavity that I'll go back next Thursday to get fixed, otherwise no issues. Spritzed a little AdG when I got to the office ( when I bought it, it came with a smaller "travel-size" bottle that I keep here at work).

Yardley Shave Soap / WWBW "Midnight Mint" Sweet Spot Badger Brush / RazoRock "Mamba 70"
Gillette Platinum / Alum / PAA "Star Jelly" After Shave Gel / Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG_4764.jpg

Back