The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Went to see the doc. Test were run and results are in... It's..

COVID 2: Electric Boogaloo!!!

I haven't lost my sense of smell or taste like last time so maybe it wont be too bad. Waiting on the pharmacy to get my scripts filled (Paxlovid, etc.)

28 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Rocking out to Metallica today. Hope you enjoy.

Feeling better today than I did yesterday. Still not great though. I did feel well enough for a shower and shave. Barely left the bed yesterday. Returned to RazoRock's "P.160" shaving soap. Fantastic lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Breakwater" HD ST badger brush! Two passes (plus touch-up) with the Fatboy and I finished with Epsilon 03 "Amber" after shave splash.

Hope you have a great day. :)

RazoRock "P.160" Shaving Soap / Rich Yuengel "Breakwater" HD ST Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Epsilon 03 "Amber" After Shave Splash

IMG_4024.jpg

29 January, 2024

A couple from English rockers, The Damned today. Hope you enjoy.

Slowly improving but I went ahead and stayed home from work today. Feel bad because now the wife has it. Just got back from picking up her scripts so hopefully they'll help her as well as they've helped me. Great shave this morning. Returned Mitchell's Wool Fat today. Fantastic lather built with the Paladin "Falstaff" 2-band badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Fatboy and I finished with Lustray "Spice" after shave splash.

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap / Paladin "Falstaff" 2-Band Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Lustray "Spice" After Shave Splash

IMG_4031.jpg

30 January, 2024

A couple today from L..A. rockers, Drab Majesty. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. My order of Frank's new "Tortola" shave soap arrived yesterday so, of course I had to use it today. Fantastic lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching skin food splash and Barberry Coast "Souks of Morocco" EdP cologne.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Tortola" Shaving Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Tortola" Skin Food Splash / Barberry Coast "Souks of Morocco" EdP

IMG_4037.jpg

And?! How is it?
giphy.gif

31 January, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time™), and today I'm featuring a couple from "The Godmother of Rock'n'Roll" Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Hope you enjoy.

Decided to close out the month with a vintage Shulton "Old Spice" shave. Fantastic scent and lather built with the Zenith B33 boar brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching after shave lotion and Divine "L'Homme Sage" EdP.

Shulton "Old Spice" Shaving Soap / Zenith B33 Boar Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / Divine "L'Homme Sage" EdP

IMG_4047.jpg

1 February, 2024

Featuring a cut by Aussie rockers, Caligula's Horse from their new album, Charcoal Grace. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. My order of "Spiced Fougère" arrived yesterday so I used it this morning. Not 100% sold on the scent at the moment. I was expecting a more green component. Very spicy. A tonka bean bomb with its herbaceous, hay-like scent notes anchored by earthy patchouli. The lather was phenomenal! Super thick, super slick and very cushioning. The post shave face-feel was great as well. Great colder weather soap splash set IMO. Not gonna give up on it. I plan to shave with it more to see if the scent grows on me more. Two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with the matching after shave splash and Halston "Z-14" EdT.

Tallow + Steel "Spiced Fougère" Shaving Soap / WWBW Rosé Noir ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Tallow + Steel "Spiced Fougère" After Shave Splash / Halston "Z-14" EdT

IMG_4053.jpg

Give it a chance Mark, if Fougere makes you think of things like Brut, yeah, it's totally different. The 'orignal' fougeres were actually more like this fwiw. Think Caron pour une Homme?
At least the lather and face feel were ok for you, that's what got me hooked on the brand.

Give it a chance Mark, if Fougere makes you think of things like Brut, yeah, it's totally different. The 'orignal' fougeres were actually more like this fwiw. Think Caron pour une Homme?
At least the lather and face feel were ok for you, that's what got me hooked on the brand.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I don't like it or that it's a "bad" scent. Not the case at all. Yes, it's not what I was expecting but I think it could be one of those scents that I could grow to really like over time.

2 February, 2024

Featuring a couple from Massachusetts rockers, The J. Geils Band today. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to the Arko shave stick with its fabulous lather and synthetic soapy, citrus-floral scent. Great gobs of thick and super slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Midnight Mint" ST badger brush for to passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with Clubman after shave cologne and vintage Avon "Tai Winds" EdT.

Arko Shaving Stick / WWBW "Midnight Mint" ST Badger Brush / RazoRock Mamba 70 / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Clubman "Musk" After Shave Cologne / Avon "Tai Winds" EdC

IMG_4060.jpg

3 February, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" and so here is Liverpool based producer and musician, Lee Blanshard who records and performs under the moniker "Kalax". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Nothing really exceptional about today's software choices. Just a collection of great products which, in concert, produced a superb shave. Great scent and lather from the TOBS cream built with the Rich Yuengel "Voodoo King" HD high mountain white badger brush for to passes (plus touch-up) with the '49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue after shave splash and Bond No.9 "Chez Bond" EdP.

TOBS "Mr. Taylor's" Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Voodoo King" HD HMW Badger Brush / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Platinum / Alum / AV Classic Ice Blue After Shave Splash / Bond No.9 "Chez Bond" EdP

IMG_4070.jpg

4 February, 2024

It's "Mellow Jazz Sunday" so here is a playlist for what I hope is a super chill and relaxing day. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to the new formula Kent shave soap. Again, this soap is a winner in my book. Great scent and lather built with the Riva Brushes Italian heather briar badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Lustray's soapy-floral "Draggon Noir" EdT.

Kent Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Italian Heather Briar Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Lustray "Draggon Noir" EdT

IMG_4075.jpg

5 February, 2024

Need a Monday musical pick-me-up and no one does that better than Al Di Meola. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to MDC and their excellent "Vétyver" shave soap. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Mint Chip" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Fine Accoutrements "Green Vetiver" after shave splash and Maison Margiela's "At the Barber's" EdT.

Martin de Candre "Vétyver" Shave Soap / WWBW "Mint Chip" ST Badger Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Wizamet / Alum / Fine "Green Vetiver" After Shave Splash / Maison Margiela "At The Barber's" EdT

IMG_4081.jpg

6 February, 2024

A couple today from Swedish Neo-Classical shred-meister, Yngwie Malmsteen. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning! Returned to the vintage Yardley shave soap. Incredibly thick and slick lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Coty "Aspen" after shave gel and EdC.

Vintage Yardley Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" ST Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Wizamet / Alum / Coty "Aspen" After Shave Gel / Coty "Aspen" EdC

IMG_4086.jpg

Back