The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

23 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

A couple of classics from Aussie rockers, INXS today. Hope you enjoy.

Outstanding shave this morning! Returned to Wholly Kaw and their excellent "Fougère Bouquet" shave soap. Excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" HD ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with Guy Laroche "Drakkar Noir" after shave lotion and EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Wholly Kaw "Fougère Bouquet" Shaving Soap / Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" HD ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Guy Laroche "Drakkar Noir" After Shave Lotion and EdT

IMG_3994.jpg

24 January, 2024

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from one of my all-time favorite bassists, Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads & TomTom Club). Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning! Returned to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their excellent "Oud" shaving cream. Lovely oud, rose amber and saffron fragrance with excellent lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the 49 Gillette Aristocrat and I finished with Czech & Speake "No.88" after shave lotion and EdC.

TOBS "Oud" Shaving Cream / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Manchurian Badger Brush / '49 Gillette Aristocrat
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Czech & Speake "No.88" After Shave Lotion and EdC

IMG_4002.jpg

25 January, 2024

Gettin' funky this morning with a couple from Oakland, CA greats, Tower of Power. Hope you enjoy.

Best shave of the week (thus far) this morning! Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Blue Note" shaving soap & splash. Great scent! Practically identical to Maison Margiela's Replica - Jazz Club. Excellent lather built with the Riva Manchurian badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching skin food splash and Maison Margiela "Replica - Jazz Club" EdT.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blue Note" Shaving Soap / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blue Note" Skin Food Splash / Replica - Jazz Club EdT

IMG_4008.jpg

Returned to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Blue Note" shaving soap & splash. Great scent! Practically identical to Maison Margiela's Replica - Jazz Club.
Huh, I’d heard that they were miles apart, but I guess they’re kind of the same. 😌

26 January, 2024

Some "doctor-centric" tunes this morning as I'm not at work but home sick. Got an appointment at 10:30. Hope you enjoy.

Despite not feeling great, today's shave actually edged out yesterday's as the best of the week (thus far). Returned to the vintage Yardley shaving soap and this time I REALLY got how good this soap's lather is. Had been having difficulty with initial loading so I took one of my wife's wooden cuticle pushers and scored the top of the soap in a crosshatch pattern, thereby creating channels for the water to get into the soap rather than just floating atop it. Excellent lather built with the Semogue SOC super badger brush! Super slick and thick! Two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with vintage English Leather after shave splash.

Vintage Yardley Shaving Soap / Semogue SOC Super Badger Brush / RazoRock Mamba 70
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Vintage English Leather After Shave Splash

IMG_4015a.jpg

Back