The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

18 January, 2024

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Some classic Foreigner for you on this cold Thursday. Hope you enjoy.

Still cold but not as cold this morning. Current temp is 25° F (17° wind chill). Working remotely again today and likely tomorrow as we have rain moving in later today which will refreeze overnight. I'm ready for spring!

Great shave to start the day. Returned to Antica Barberia and their "Original Talc" shave cream. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S and I finished with Pinaud Clubman after shave lotion & Dana "Canoe" EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Antica Barberia "Original Talc" Shaving Cream / WWBW "Lagoon" ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion / Dana "Canoe" EdC

IMG_3960.jpg

19 January, 2024

Closing out the workweek with a couple of classics from Blues Traveler. Hope you enjoy.

Still cold.. Still working from home. Haven't left the house since Monday.. Current temp is 32° F (24° wind chill) and DROPPING! Again, I'm ready for spring!

Great shave to start the day. Went with Wholly Kaw and their "Fougère Bouquet" shave soap. Great scent! A nice, fresh floral, spicy green with wonderful lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Mint Chip" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with Skin Bracer Original after shave splash & Rogue Perfumery "Mousse Illuminee" EdT.

Wholly Kaw "Fougère Bouquet" Shaving Soap / WWBW "Mint Chip" ST Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Skin Bracer Original After Shave Splash / Rogue "Mousse Illuminee" EdT

IMG_3967.jpg

20 January, 2024

It's "Synthwave Saturday" so here's a mix from ThePrimeThanatos. Hope you enjoy.

Last day (and night) of frigid temps before the warm-up next week. They're giving lots of rain the next ten days, but that's fine. I'll gladly take rain and temps in the 60's over this cold crap!

Great shave to start the day. Returned to Mike's Natural Soaps and his excellent "Lemongrass & Eucalyptus" shave soap. Great scent! Very green, citrusy with a light medicinal herbalness. Wonderful lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the RazoRock Mamba 70 and I finished with Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue after shave splash.

Mike's Natural Soaps "Lemongrass & Eucalyptus" Shaving Soap / Rich Yuengel "Blue Meanie" ST Badger Brush
RazoRock Mamba 70 /
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue After Shave Splash

IMG_3978.jpg

21 January, 2024

It's "Soft Jazz Sunday". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to start the day. I had been looking for a couple of extra pucks of the old, tallow formula Fat, but none of my searches proved fruitful. So I finally broke down and got a puck of the new, non-tallow soap to try (Kent label). Used it this morning and I was pleasantly surprised! Guys, this stuff is still great! I could detect no drop in quality of either lather slickness or cushion. If anything, it seemed a little easier to build the lather compared to the original version. Shavepocalypse averted? Possibly. The mere presence of tallow doesn't guarantee a great soap (Czech & Speake's shave soap proved that). At the same time, the absence of tallow doesn't mean that a soap is bad / not as good (Martin de Candre & Saponificio Varesino have proven that).

Two passes (plus touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Lustray "Blue Spice" after shave splash.

Kent Shaving Soap / Zenith B33 Boar Brush / '56 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Lustray "Blue Spice" After Shave Splash

IMG_3982.jpg

22 January, 2024

Featuring the inimitable David Bowie for your Monday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Martin de Candre and their excellent "Nature" shave soap. Excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" ST badger brush for two passes (plus touch-up) with the '61 Gillette Fatboy and I finished with vintage Skin Bracer "Cool Spice" after shave splash and Chanel "Platinum Égoïste" EdT.

Martin de Candre "Nature" Shaving Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" ST Badger Brush / '61 Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Skin Bracer "Cool Spice" After Shave Splash / Chanel "Platinum Égoïste" EdT

IMG_3987.jpg

The mere presence of tallow doesn't guarantee a great soap (Czech & Speake's shave soap proved that). At the same time, the absence of tallow doesn't mean that a soap is bad / not as good (Martin de Candre & Saponificio Varesino have proven that).
Why, why, this is sacrilege! It is heresy! Everyone, grab your pitchforks and torches and meet me at the airport! We’re all going to Texas! See you there.

Back