The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

27 November, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Got a couple from one of my all-time favorite groups this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Phoenix Shaving and their excellent "Space Nog" soap & splash. Wonderful holiday scent with notes of Brown Sugar, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Light Cinnamon, West Indian Bay, Tonka Bean, Benzoin Resin & Spiced Rum along with incredibly slick lather built with the Wild West Brushworks ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching splash.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Space Nog" Shave Soap / WWBW HD ST Badger / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet /
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Space Nog" After Shave Splash

IMG_3615.jpg

28 November, 2023

Got a couple from Swedish guitar virtuoso, Yngwie Malmsteen this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Returned to Fine Accoutrements and their excellent "L'Orange Noir" soap & splash. Great dupe of Terre d'Hermes (practically identical). This is the original triple-milled puck so the lather was incredibly slick and cushioning. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the Aristocrat and I finished with the matching splash and Terre d'Hermes EdT.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Fine Accoutrements "L'Orange Noir" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Mistura Mixed / Gillette Aristocrat
Wizamet /
Alum / Fine Accoutrements "L'Orange Noir" After Shave Splash / Terre d'Hermes EdT

IMG_3620.jpg

29 November, 2023

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm featuring a couple from American rockers, Concrete Blonde fronted by singer / bassist Johnette Napolitano. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to ETHOS / @Dragonsbeard and his wonderful "Blue Note" soap and splash. Incredibly slick and fragrant lather built with the Riva Manchurian badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer and I finished with the matching splash and Maison Margiela "Jazz Club" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blue Note" Shave Soap / Riva Manchurian Badger Brush / RazoRock Game Changer
Wizamet /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blue Note" Skin Food Splash / Maison Margiela "Jazz Club" EdT

IMG_3628.jpg

I really like their version of Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows". I find it appropriate that artists seem to love his music so much they basically don't mess with the song's structure. Here's a Cohen cover I'm very fond of (bet you're familiar with it!):

30 November, 2023

Heading back to Japan today. No, not the country, the group. These guys really pioneered the early 80's Second British Invasion's New Wave / Synth Pop / Post Punk aesthetic, incorporating the high-fashion, androgynous look that would be copied later by bands such as Duran Duran, Dead or Alive, Eurythmics, etc. The band also featured one of my all-time favorite bassists, Mick Karn. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went with Noble Otter's "'Tis the Season" soap and splash. The soap is an evergreen bomb with notes of pine and cedar. There are other notes in there as well, but take a back seat to the green notes. Incredibly slick lather built with the Riva Manchurian badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Gillette Fat Boy and I finished with the matching splash and "CK One Shock" EdT.

Noble Otter "'Tis The Season" Shave Soap / Riva Manchurian Badger Brush / '61 Gillette "Fatboy"
Wizamet /
Alum / Noble Otter "'Tis The Season" After Shave Splash / CK One"Shock" EdT

IMG_3635.jpg

1 December, 2023

Closing out the workweek with a couple from the band, Styx. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Martin de Candre and their "Nature" shave soap. Not completely scent free. There's a light, "soapy" scent from the base (I assume) which is very nice. Incredibly thick & slick lather built with the Zenith B33 for two passes (+ touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Pierre Cardin ASL, ASB & EdC

Martin de Candre "Nature" Shave Soap / Zenith B33 Boar Brush / '56 Gillette "Super Speed"
Wizamet /
Alum / Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur ASL, ASB & EdC

IMG_3640.jpg

Hey! It's hard to compete with @heysi and all his concert going, but I saw this band at a county fair back in the day!
What???? I mean I'm going to see Depeche Mode tonight......so I guess that tracks.

(oh...I just checked my count....and I've been to 87 concerts....so tonight would be #88)

I'm going to see Depeche Mode tonight......so I guess that tracks.
giphy-downsized.gif

:(

Back