The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

RazoRock "Blue Barbershop" splash (closest splash scent-wise to original Floid Blue to my nose)
Never tried Floid Blue. When I came into wet shaving, people were lamenting its recent discontinuance. I was new to the game, and was happily trying everything that sounded good, so I never missed it, though you could find it on ebay at the time (at a markup, of course). Captain's Choice Co9T came out shortly after I came aboard. I was a big fan of all the Captain's AS splashes.

Never tried Floid Blue. When I came into wet shaving, people were lamenting its recent discontinuance. I was new to the game, and was happily trying everything that sounded good, so I never missed it, though you could find it on ebay at the time (at a markup, of course). Captain's Choice Co9T came out shortly after I came aboard. I was a big fan of all the Captain's AS splashes.
I’ve never tried anything from Captain’s Choice. I need to remedy that. :unsure:

6 October, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Closing out the workweek with a couple from The Psychedelic Furs. Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful Friday shave! Returned to Stirling Soap Co. and their excellent "British Leather" shave soap. Great scent & lather built with the Riva Brushes ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Mamba 70 and I finished with Dana "English Leather" splash & EdC.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "British Leather" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes ST Badger / RazoRock Mamba 70 / Polsilver
Alum / Dana "English Leather" After Shave Splash / Dana "English Leather" EdC

IMG-3287.jpg

7 October, 2023

Some Lite Jazz for your Saturday. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Taylor of Old Bond Street and their "Oud" shave cream. Wonderfully warm, woody and spicy with a touch of rose. Excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch up) with the Timeless Razor TRBR38 and I finished with Czech & Speake "No.88" after shave splash and EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Taylor of Old Bond Street "Oud" Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore HD ST Badger / Timeless Razor TRBR38
Polsilver / Alum / Czech & Speake "No.88" After Shave Splash / Czech & Speake "No.88" EdC

IMG-3294.jpg

8 October, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Some Kansas for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave today. The "Vetyver" soap from MdC arrived yesterday so I used it this morning. I've had a rocky road with vetiver-scented products but I love this one. Wonderful lather built with the Zenith B28 boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Supply Co. SE and I finished with Brut after shave splash and Special Reserve EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Martin de Candre "Vetyver" Shave Soap / Zenith B28 Boar / Supply SE
Alum / Brut After Shave Splash / Brut Special Reserve EdC

IMG-3308.jpg

How might you describe this vetiver? Is it fresh and grassy or is it more of a cologne?

How might you describe this vetiver? Is it fresh and grassy or is it more of a cologne?
I'd say it's more cologne like. A very nice soft, green accord with earthy notes Not as "dry" as other vetiver scents I've smelled, nor overly perfumy. I used one in the past, I want to say it was the Royall Vetiver and I used it once and never again. Horribly perfumy and I couldn't get it off fast enough. There also seems to be a light powdery note to the MdC Vetyver which I like because it moves the scent slightly into "barbershop" territory.

Hope this helps.

So, more VET-y than IVER-y then?
:unsure:

giphy.gif

9 October, 2023

Got a couple from British rockers The English Beat. Hope you enjoy.

Excellent shave this morning! I've had this soap / splash set for a while but was waiting for cooler weather to break it out. Great scent! Very deep, very rich with notes of oud, sandalwood, vanilla, & rum. Incredibly slick lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Mamba 70 and I finished with the matching splash & ALT. Fragrances "Saxophone" EdP (very good dupe of "Jazz Club").

Wholly Kaw "Tim Jr." Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" Super Badger / RazoRock Mamba 70 / Polsilver
Alum / Wholly Kaw "Tim Jr." After Shave Splash / ALT. Fragrances "Saxophone" EdP

IMG-3309.jpg

10 October, 2023

A couple of live cuts today from Australian guitarist / composer, Plini. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. New soap day with the Antica Barberia "Original Talc" croap. Nice, light Italian barbershop / talc scent, but it was the lather that blew me away! Very slick, very thick and very cushioning. Quality wise, the lather reminded me of Saponificio Varesino. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the '69 Gillette Super-109 and I finished with Paul Sebastian after shave splash & EdC.

Antica Barberia "Original Talc" Shave Cream / Semogue Mistura Mixed Badger / Gillette Super Adj. 109
Polsilver /
Alum / Paul Sebastian After Shave Splash / Paul Sebastian EdC

IMG-3316.jpg

Back