The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

31 July, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Still riding the high from the meds received at the dentist this morning so you'll have to find your own music today. 🥴

Great shave this morning. Hardware setup is the same as yesterday (Rockwell + WWBW "REM Cycle") but software-wise I went back to Proraso Green shave cream and I finished with some ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" skin food splash from Frank's Pure Collection. No frag today.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Proraso "Refreshing" Shave Cream / WWBW "REM Cycle" ST Badger / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Skin Food Splash

IMG-2807.jpg

Last edited:
Hope all went well at the dentist. Looks like you took a different path than the more typical “make sure they can smell me through the double mask” approach that seems to be more typical around these parts.

Hope all went well at the dentist. Looks like you took a different path than the more typical “make sure they can smell me through the double mask” approach that seems to be more typical around these parts.
I'm unconscious with sharp instruments in my mouth. I didn't want to take the chance of offending them. 😁

1 August, 2023

Things are getting weird and complex today with a couple from Progressive Metal rocker, Animals as Leaders. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Colonia" soap and splash. Great scent and lather built with the Riva Brushes Manchurian badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with the matching skin food splash and Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Colonia" Shave Cream / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger / '56 Gillette Super Speed / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Colonia" Skin Food Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC

IMG-2812.jpg

2 August, 2023

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and I'm venturing into the Realms of the Obscure for today's selection with Detroit singer / musician, Lene Lovich. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Been a while since I last used "Mr. Taylor's" shave cream from TOBS so I remedied that today. Fantastic scent. Nice, fresh cologne-like fragrance and excellent lather built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with Pinaud Clubman" after shave splash and Dana "Canoe" EdC.

Taylor of Old Bond St. "Mr. Taylor's" Shave Cream / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Pinaud "Clubman" After Shave Lotion / Dana "Canoe" EdC

IMG-2819.jpg

Lene's album was one of the first ones I bought myself back in the day. She's amazing. In the New Toy video you can see her original keyboard player, a young, blond bespeckled bloke by the name of Thomas Dolby.

Lene's album was one of the first ones I bought myself back in the day. She's amazing. In the New Toy video you can see her original keyboard player, a young, blond bespeckled bloke by the name of Thomas Dolby.
A pretty strong argument can be made that New Toy is a Thomas Dolby song with a different singer. That's how I've always heard it. Of course, those arguments are annoying because it's ultimately not true literally, so I won't make it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

3 August, 2023

Getting some music going this morning with a couple from Peter Gabriel off his third solo album, commonly known as the "Melt" album. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Been a while since I last used "Sea Spice Lime" shave soap from Seaforth so I remedied that today. Great scent and excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Abalone" ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the RazoRock Game Changer .68-P and I finished with the matching splash and EdT.

Seaforth "Sea Spice Lime" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Abalone" ST Badger / RazoRock Game Changer
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Seaforth "Sea Spice Lime" After Shave Toner & EdT

IMG-2825.jpg

A pretty strong argument can be made that New Toy is a Thomas Dolby song with a different singer. That's how I've always heard it. Of course, those arguments are annoying because it's ultimately not true literally, so I won't make it.
Your argument would win ........as Thomas wrote the song New Toy. So in this case...you are literally correct.

Your argument would win ........as Thomas wrote the song New Toy. So in this case...you are literally correct.
Well, I was discounting my position because it's her name and voice, but if you're cool with it, then I am too.

I met him once, at an ATM in Baltimore. I also met John Waters at the same ATM, so if you're looking for celebrities in Baltimore, get cash at the Rotunda!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Well, I was discounting my position because it's her name and voice, but if you're cool with it, then I am too.
No need to discount it......you said you thought it was a Dolby song with a different singer.....and that's literally true. Can't get much more correct than that.

4 August, 2023

Closing out the workweek with a couple from Acoustic Alchemy. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Went back to the "Havana" shave soap from Moon Soaps. Great scent with notes of tobacco, vetiver, bergamot, musk and vanilla. Very nice! Nice lather as well built with the Semogue "Galahad" for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Supply SE razor and I finished with Czech & Speake "Cuba" AS & EdC.

First use of the Supply SE and I really liked it! Extremely close and comfortable shave. Best shave I've ever gotten with a SE razor.

Moon Soaps "Havana" Shave Soap / Semogue "Galahad" C3 Premium Boar / Supply SE
Alum / Czech & Speake "Cuba" After Shave splash / Czech & Speake "Cuba" EdC

IMG-2829.jpg

5 August, 2023

Got a couple from Elvis Costello & The Attractions for your Saturday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Mitchell's Wool Fat with its nice, clean, soapy, powdery fragrance and excellent lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Mint Chip" ST Badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with Epsilon "Amber" after shave splash and Penhaligon's "Sartorial" EdT. There's something abut the combination of MWF and Floid (dupe in this case but extremely similar) that just goes together for me and "Sartorial" was the perfect cherry on top.

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Wild West Brush Works "Mint Chip" ST Badger / Rockwell 6S
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Epsilon "Amber" After Shave Splash / Penhaligon's "Sartorial" EdT

IMG-2836.jpg

Back