The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

I once got to see Pat DiNizio, the lead singer/songwriter for the Smithereens, play a solo acoustic show that was attended by less than 25 people. He sat at the edge of the stage, with his feet up on our table, and told us some of the greatest stories I've ever heard. The best moment was when he was in the middle of a story about the girl from the song A Girl Like You (I asked who she was) and he stopped mid sentence....looked away for a second and just smiled....obviously leaving out a part of the story he wanted to keep to himself. It was one of those moments when the goosebumps on my arm had goosebumps. You could sense the memories swirling around in the momentary silence. It was electric.

21 July, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Closing out the workweek with a couple of hits from The Police from their 2007 - 2008 reunion tour. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Ariana & Evans "Limoncello" shave cream. Nice crisp, boozy, lemon scent with excellent lather built with the Rich Man Shaving badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Custom Collection - Sicilian Lemon EO" skin food splash & Clubman "Citrus Musk" EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Ariana & Evans "Limoncello" Shave Soap / Rich Man Shaving ST Badger / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Sicilian Lemon EO" Skin Food Splash / Clubman "Citrus Musk" EdC

IMG-2738.jpg

Ahhhh....The Police. My first band obsession. Saw them twice during the Reunion tour, once at the start of the tour in Denver (3rd show of the tour) and again near the end of the tour in Vegas. The Denver show was full of so many good moments. You could feel the band having a great time playing together. The Vegas show was another thing all together. You could feel Sting being pissed at Stewart. You could feel Andy just wanting to be anywhere else. It was like seeing the band at the beginning and at the end of their careers. I only wish I hadn't gone to the Vegas show. It kinda ruined it for me.

22 July, 2023

We lost another great one yesterday with the sad news of Tony Bennett's passing. And so today I'm featuring a video of what is my favorite performance by him. You can really get a sense of his ability and singing prowess from this video. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today. Went back to limes, this time with Phoenix Shaving's "Sci-Fi Lime" soap and splash. Great scent! Nice tart lime but there's an added element, a depth that pushes it slightly away from just citrus and more toward "barbershop" territory. Fantastic lather too built with the QED Select Manchurian badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Phoenix Shaving "META-4" and I finished with the matching after shave splash.

Busy day so far. On call this weekend and we had strong storms move through the area last night. There was even a possible tornado touch-down about eight miles north of me. So, lots of calls but the OT will look nice on the next check.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

PAA "Sci-Fi Lime" Shave Soap / QED Select 26mm Manchurian Badger / PAA "META-4" Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Shulton Old Spice "Fresh Lime PAA "Sci-Fi Lime" After Shave Splash

IMG-2743.jpg

The Tony Bennet version of Fly Me To The Moon was the "first dance" song at my wedding reception. It's a bittersweet memory, unfortunately, but it's a special version to me, so thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

23 July, 2023

Going with a couple from the English band, XTC for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Late post but I started the day with a fantastic shave. The new two-tone '56 Gillette Super Speed arrived yesterday and I used it this morning. What a great razor! VERY smooth shaver. So smooth in fact that I actually opened it up to make sure I had the blade in it. Went back to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and Frank's excellent "Blood Orange" soap and skin food from his Italia Collection. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST brush for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching skin food splash & lotion and a spray of Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Shave Cream / WWBW "Canyon" ST Badger / '56 Gillette Super Speed / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Skin Food Splash & Lotion / Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG-2750.jpg

Last edited:
24 July, 2023

Well, it's Monday again (blech!). But, let's all try to get though it together with dignity. Starting your morning off with a couple from a group I used to listen to quite a bit back in the day. Here is the English Mod Revival/Punk band The Jam. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Stirling's excellent "Bay Rum" shave soap. Nice spicy/citrus scent with excellent lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and I finished with Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" after shave splash & P&G "Old Spice" EdC.

Stirling Soap Co. "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST Badger Brush / Rockwell 6S / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" After Shave Splash / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-2757.jpg

The Jam is so underrated. They deserve to be Hall candidates. It's almost criminal that they don't get more love....especially when you consider how many bands they influenced. Really wish I had gotten to see them live back in the day.

25 July, 2023

A couple from 80's greats Duran Duran this morning. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today. Went back to RazoRock and their great "P.160" shave soap. Great classic Italian almond / marzipan scent with fantastic lather built with the Semogue SOC Premium Boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Phoenix Shaving "META-4" and I finished with Epsilon "Amber" after shave splash and some Dior "Sauvage" parfum.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

RazoRock "P.160" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / PAA "META-4" Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Epsilon "Amber" After Shave Splash / Dior "Sauvage" Parfum

IMG-2765.jpg

Duran Duran was the coolest band of the decade. They weren't my favorite band, but I loved their singles, Rio is a top tier album of my generation, and there's nothing more uncomfortable than riding home from school in the back seat as your mom is driving, when Hungry Like The Wolf comes out of the radio and into her Southern Baptist ears.

John Taylor, Pino Palladino, Mark King, Tony Levin. Those names define that era for me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I'm going to see Duran Duran next month here in Vegas (saw them previously back in the late 80's). Very much looking forward to it.

26 July, 2023

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday". Linda Ronstadt.... 'Nuff said.. Enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to TOBS "Grapefruit" shave cream. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" ST brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the '56 Gillette Super Speed and I finished with Master Soap Creations "Grapefruit Zest" after shave tonic and some Clubman "Citrus Musk" EdC.

Taylor of Old Bond St. "Grapefruit" Shave Cream / WWBW "REM Cycle" ST Badger / '56 Gillette Super Speed / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Master Soap Creations "Grapefruit Zest" After Shave Tonic / Clubman "Citrus Musk" EdC

IMG-2773.jpg

Back