The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

6 July, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Summer has arrived in full force and sunglasses have become invaluable in these 14+ hours of daylight. And so, here are a couple of "sunglasses" songs for your Thursday. Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave today! Went back to Abbate y la Mantia "Verbena Toscana" shave soap. Wonderful citrus floral scent and excellent lather whipped up with the Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Gillette Super Adjustable 109 and I finished with some Proraso after shave splash and Montblanc "Explorer" EdT.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Abbate Y La Mantia "Verbena Toscana" Shave Soap / Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" Boar / Gillette Super Adj. 109
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Proraso After Shave Splash / Montblanc "Explorer" EdT

IMG-2647.jpg

The pout on Corey Hart's face in that video was the finest of his generation of heartthrob singers. When he tells me he wears his sunglasses at night, I believe him. I remember the first time I saw this video very well - an example of a song I heard first on MTV - because he starts out by saying that he wears his sunglasses at night, and I immediately wanted to know why. It grabbed my attention, so I listened to the lyrics. MTV was a neat thing that happened.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The pout on Corey Hart's face in that video was the finest of his generation of heartthrob singers. When he tells me he wears his sunglasses at night, I believe him. I remember the first time I saw this video very well - an example of a song I heard first on MTV - because he starts out by saying that he wears his sunglasses at night, and I immediately wanted to know why. It grabbed my attention, so I listened to the lyrics. MTV was a neat thing that happened.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
This music memory was brought to you by the TSC and 80s hair bands.

6 July, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Summer has arrived in full force and sunglasses have become invaluable in these 14+ hours of daylight. And so, here are a couple of "sunglasses" songs for your Thursday. Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave today! Went back to Abbate y la Mantia "Verbena Toscana" shave soap. Wonderful citrus floral scent and excellent lather whipped up with the Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Gillette Super Adjustable 109 and I finished with some Proraso after shave splash and Montblanc "Explorer" EdT.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Abbate Y La Mantia "Verbena Toscana" Shave Soap / Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" Boar / Gillette Super Adj. 109
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Proraso After Shave Splash / Montblanc "Explorer" EdT

View attachment 114607
Great songs, Mark. And from the long-forgotten Timbuk 3:

7 July, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's finally Friday! And although Independence Day has passed, I'm closing out the workweek with some musical fireworks courtesy of Liquid Tension Experiment. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Phoenix Shaving and their 4711 homage, "11235". This may be heretical to some, but IMO the vegan CK-6 base provides a lather that's right up there with Saponificio Varesino and Martin De Candre in quality. All three can go toe-to-toe with the best tallow-based soaps out there. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the 60's "Psycho Tech" and I finished with Muelhens "4711" after shave splash and cologne.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "11235" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST Badger / 60's Psycho Tech
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Muelhens "4711" After Shave Splash / Muelhens "4711" EdC

IMG-2653.jpg

I'm 95% sure one guy was playing a fence board.
I have a CT tech who plays “the stick”
Which is what I think is the fence board with strings. As far as I can tell it is
1. Difficult
2. Not widely known
3. Used exclusively for producing music along this vein

8 July, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Got a couple from Brit rockers The Smiths for your listening pleasure today. I like some of their songs but Morrissey's voice can become quite annoying after while.

Another wonderfully lime-a-licious shave today. My order of GFT "Limes" arrived so I used it today. Great lather built with the Shavemac 177 ST badger brush. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 and I finished with the matching skin food and some Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

Hope you're having a great weekend. :)

Geo F. Trumper "Limes" Shave Cream / Shavemac 177 ST Badger / Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Geo F. Trumper "Limes" Skin Food / Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG-2661.jpg

Back