The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

There was a guy in town who had a Metal only record shop, who also happened to repair turntables. There was a period of time where he got quite a few repair jobs from Preachers and Sunday School Teachers who had burned out their motors, spinning records backwards, seeking evil messages.
Don't knock the technique. After all, that is how we learned that Paul is dead.

17 June, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

A couple of soulful, southern gospel-tinged songs from the husband and wife duet known as "The War and Treaty" . Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Went back to ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" soap and splash. Huge grapefruit bomb and and excellent lather built with the Rich Man Shaving ST badger. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching skin food splash. Got ribs on the smoker so I'm wearing some mesquite EdC. 😁

Hope you have a great day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" Shave Soap / Rich Man Shaving ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Gillette Platinum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Mélange d'Agrumes" Skin Food Splash

IMG-2484.jpg

18 June, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you having a great weekend and a Happy Father's Day to all the dads here.

In a Vangelis mood today so here's a greatest hits compilation for your Sunday listening enjoyment.

Great Sunday shave to round out the weekend. New shave cream arrived yesterday so I (of course) had to use it this morning. Ariana & Evans "Limoncello" shave cream is based on the popular European liqueur and on first sniff I was IMMEDAITELY transported back to my Navy days and port visits in Italy and Spain. Fantastic! Wonderful, sweet lemon citrus scent with boozy undertones. Nice strength out of the tub which only grew more strong on lathering. The lather quality was excellent as well! Plenty of cushion and slip for two passes with the Aristocrat and I finished with some ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage de Citron" skin food splash and Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

In other news, I went and sowed some grass seed on my parent's graves today. It was looking rather spotty in coverage so hopefully it'll take and look more even. Also my ribs turned out great yesterday.

Ariana & Evans "Limoncello" Shave Cream / Simpson "Chubby 2" Super Badger / Gillette "Aristocrat" / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage de Citron" Skin Food Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG-2497.jpg

19 June, 2023

A few cuts from seminal punk rockers The Clash for your Monday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Went back to Stirling's "Deep Blue Sea" soap and splash. Fantastic scent. Very close dupe of Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" as well as excellent lather built with the Semogue Super Badger. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and some Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" Parfum.

Stirling Soap Co. "Deep Blue Sea" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Super Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Gillette Platinum / Stirling Soap Co. "Deep Blue Sea" After Shave Splash / Chanel "Bleu de Chanel" Parfum

IMG-2507.jpg

A few cuts from seminal punk rockers The Clash for your Monday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.
At first I dismissed The Clash as just another punk band, like so many in the late '70s - early '80s. There were a slew of punkers that were long on attitude, but woefully short on talent. Then my brother convinced me to listen to London Calling. I enjoyed it so much that I got a vinyl copy then, and have it on CD now. Good music, Mark. (y)

20 June, 2023

A couple from one of my all-time favorite bands, Rush. These are live cuts of two songs off their 1984 album, Grace Under Pressure. Hope you enjoy.

Returned to Mike's Natural Soaps "Lime" shave soap today. Fantastic soap! Can't believe it took me so long to get a tub. Delicious, tart, natural EO lime scent and superb lather built with the QED Select Manchurian. Plenty of cushion and slip for two passes with the Aristocrat and I finished with some RazoRock "Evil Eye Lime" after shave tonic and Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP.

Mike's Natural Soaps "Lime" Shave Soap / QED Select Manchurian ST Badger / Gillette "Aristocrat" / Gillette Platinum
Alum / RazoRock "Evil Eye Lime" Aftershave Tonic / Etat Libre d'Orange "Cologne" EdP

IMG-2514.jpg

p/g is a special album for me because it was my first Rush concert. And Between The Wheels is about as Dark as they got. Good choices!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

21 June, 2023

Got a trio of "summer" songs for you today, including one from Bananarama because @GearNoir will deduct points if I don't feature a female group on Wednesday. ;) Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Been a while since my last bay rum shave so I remedied that this morning, going with Phoenix Shavings "Pineapple Bay Rum". Great lather built with the new Rich Man Shaving brush for two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and EdP.

Phoenix Shaving "Pineapple Bay Rum" Shave Soap / Rich Man Shaving ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Gillette Platinum / Phoenix Shaving "Pineapple Bay Rum" After Shave Splash / Phoenix Shaving "Pineapple Bay Rum" EdP

IMG-2524.jpg

I will admit that at several points in my youth to being in love with each of the members of Bananarama....all at separate times, of course. Varied and wide ranging was my taste in women.

Three excellent summer songs. I am partial to "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry (with a name like Mungo, it's got to be good).

22 June, 2023

A couple of hard rockers from Deep Purple for your Thursday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today.. Went back to Eleven Shaving and their "Sicilian Lemon" soap and splash. Nice, bright, tart lemon scent which is perfect for summer! The lather was excellent as well, thick and cushioning with excellent slip. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the 60's "Psycho Tech" and I finished with the matching after shave splash and Calvin Klein "CK One" EdT.

Eleven Shaving "Sicilian Lemon" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" ST Badger / 60's Psycho Tech
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Eleven Shaving "Sicilian Lemon" After Shave Splash / Calvin Klein "CK One" EdT

IMG-2532.jpg

Back