The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

My brother had an album by this band. I always thought it was nice music. I think it was blue, with seagulls flying on the cover.

I saw A Flock Of Seagulls opening for Thomas Dolby at the Lisner Auditorium in D.C., back around 1989 or so. I was in college, but couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I went alone, parked in front of Tower Records, got stoned, as was my practice in the day, and enjoyed a great show. The Seagulls were really great! Dolby was too into funk.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

8 June, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Got a couple from Contemporary Jazz greats Fourplay for your listening pleasure this morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today.. Revisited the "Havana" soap and balm from Moon Soaps. You'd think, on first glance, the scent would be a tropical-scented bomb. However, to my nose it's closer to a classic Barber Shop scent with notes of tobacco, vetiver, bergamot, musk and vanilla. Very nice! Nice lather as well built with the RazoRock "Chubby Extra" for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Aristocrat and I finished with the matching balm and Czech & Speake "Cuba" EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Moon Soaps "Havana" Shave Soap / RazoRock "Chubby Extra" ST Badger / Aristocrat / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Moon Soaps "Havana" After Shave Balm / Czech & Speake "Cuba" EdC

IMG-2395.jpg

After using my Aristocrat for 100+ shaves.....I'm now spoiled. The other day I used my favorite frankenTech and it....wasn't as great a shave as the Aristocrat (I rolled a small tear for the Tech).

9 June, 2023

Rounding out the workweek with a couple from "The 8th Wonder of the World", the one and only Stevie Wonder. Hope you enjoy.

Ahhhh! It's finally Friday and today I wanted to go with @Dragonsbeard / Frank's wonderful "Blood Orange" soap and splash from his Italia Collection. Excellent lather built with the Semogue SOC "Mistura" boar/badger mix brush. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching skin food splash and some Chanel "Allure Homme Sport" EdC.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC "Mistura" Boar-Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Gillette Platinum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Skin Food Splash / Chanel "Allure Homme Sport" EdC

IMG-2404.jpg

When I was a young starving keyboardist, I would've given my left nut for an OBX. I got a DX-7 instead, and doomed myself to sound like Tina Turner's keyboardist on "What's Love Got To Do With It."

DX-7s weren’t all bad. Other than that certain, criminally over-used piano sound that is.

DX-7s weren’t all bad. Other than that certain, criminally over-used piano sound that is.
Don't get me wrong. That keyboard fed, housed, and clothed me for three years. What it needed, that I couldn't afford at the time, was some effects like a stereo reverb and chorus. The harmonica and bass were two other ubiquitous patches from those days. My band mainly required the clavinet and organ.

When I left the band to finish college, they found a guy with a B3 and a church sized Leslie speaker, so they stepped quite a bit up!

Don't get me wrong. That keyboard fed, housed, and clothed me for three years. What it needed, that I couldn't afford at the time, was some effects like a stereo reverb and chorus. The harmonica and bass were two other ubiquitous patches from those days. My band mainly required the clavinet and organ.

When I left the band to finish college, they found a guy with a B3 and a church sized Leslie speaker, so they stepped quite a bit up!

Load ins / outs must have been a b****!! Or did they have roadies?

Load ins / outs must have been a b****!! Or did they have roadies?
Nope, it was a five man, whole band and hopefully the sound guy job unloading that monstrosity, but man, when that Leslie kicks in, there's no other sound like it. They had one in the church I was taken to as a youth, and I still get goosebumps at the seeming omnidirectional sound when that speaker starts spinning!

10 June, 2023

Getting some tunes going for your Saturday and because of my conversation with @fhalden , I'm featuring a trio of hits that feature the much loved (and much maligned), highly utilized keyboard, the Yamaha DX7. The keyboard can be heard right from the jump on these songs. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today.. Went back to Mitchell's Wool Fat with its light scent and excellent lather quality. Glad I have a couple of the old, tallow-based pucks in reserve. Not sure I'll ever need more because this stuff lasts a very.... long... time... Two passes (+ touch-up) with the Aristocrat and I finished with some Chanel "Bleu De Chanel" after shave balm and parfum.

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / Aristocrat / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Chanel "Bleu De Chanel" After Shave Balm / Chanel "Bleu De Chanel" Parfum

IMG-2417.jpg

Back