The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Gorō Nyūdō Masamune (五郎入道正宗, Priest Gorō Masamune, c.1264–1343), was a medieval Japanese blacksmith widely acclaimed as Japan's greatest swordsmith. He created swords and daggers, known in Japanese as tachi and tantō, in the Sōshū school. However, many of his forged tachi were made into katana by cutting the tang (nakago) in later times. For this reason, his only existing works are katana and tantō. No exact dates are known for Masamune's life. It is generally agreed that he made most of his swords between 1288 and 1328. Some stories list his family name as Okazaki, but some experts believe this is a fabrication to enhance the standing of the Tokugawa family.

Masamune is believed to have worked in Sagami Province during the last part of the Kamakura period (1288–1328), and it is thought that he was trained by swordsmiths from Bizen and Yamashiro provinces, such as Saburo Kunimune, Awataguchi Kunitsuna and Shintōgo Kunimitsu. He was the father of Hikoshiro Sadamune, also a famous Sōshū master.

An award for swordsmiths called the Masamune Prize is awarded at the Japanese Sword Making Competition. Although not awarded every year, it is presented to a swordsmith who has created an exceptional work.
Thank you, Captain Google....I meant about the razor.

Yes, but this was interesting as well wasn't it? Never stop learning Steven. Never stop learning.
Ok....now you're channeling my Aunt Libby (who lived in San Francisco....ok, now I'm freaking out that you may have been possessed by my Aunt.......Libby....let Dave go......).

Mark, Steven doesn't want a google answer. Please could you expound on your personal connection with the razor, your journey with it, and the influence it's had on your life.

Oh....and yes....it was really interesting. Please never stop being Captain Google.

19 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some tunes going this morning with a couple the legendary Bob Dylan. While I understand that it was his earlier works that catapulted him into legendary status, I've more so been a fan of his later stuff. Sometimes I think artist like Dylan (Bowie too) are, in a way, victims of their early success in that, as time goes by, their later works aren't appreciated as much. So today I'm featuring a couple from his 1997 album Time Out of Mind. Hope you enjoy.

Day 2 of 3 in the "Bruce Solidarity Shaves" and this morning I went with the vintage Crabtree & Evelyn "Soap For Men" shave soap which, in the intervening years (think I figured out that it dates back from the late 80's) has all but become unscented. There's still a small hint of something there (maybe it's just the base), but I can't tell what its or what it was even supposed to smell like. Great lather though, built with the RazoRock "Chubby Extra" brush for two passes with the Blackland "Era" (+ touch-up) and I finished with a splash of ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" skin food from their "Pure Collection". No fragrance. Bruce / @Graybeard57 hope you're on the mend, brother! Continuing to hold you in my thoughts.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Crabtree & Evelyn "Soap for Men" Shave Soap / RazoRock "Chubby Extra" ST Badger / Blackland Razors "Era"
Gillette Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Clean" Skin Food Splash

IMG-2224.jpg

20 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Getting some tunes going with some more relaxing ambient music. Love just putting on some headphones and losing myself for a while. Hope you enjoy.

Day 3 of the "Bruce Solidarity Shaves" and for today I went with the vintage Colgate Cup Soap. Like the Crabtree & Evelyn soap yesterday, this soap has lost all of whatever scent it may have had. The lather though was incredible! More so than yesterday's. Two passes with the Tatara Masamune and I finished with some of the Duke Cannon "Ice Cold" ASB. Again, no fragrance today. Bruce / @Graybeard57 hope you're doing well, brother.

Colgate Cup Soap / Semogue SOC Mistura Badger Boar Mix Brush / Tatara Masamune
Polsilver /
Alum / Duke Cannon "Ice Cold" After Shave Balm

IMG-2233.jpg

21 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Some "Sunday" tunes for your listening enjoyment. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to begin the day. New soap arrived from Phoenix Shaving. "11235" is an homage to the venerable "4711", the original Eau de Cologne, and is a very good representation. I like the Fibonacci reference on the label too (4711: 4 + 7 = 11) and I'm guessing the guy is supposed to be Leonardo Bonacci. Great scent and lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with 4711 after shave splash and cologne.

Phoenix Shaving "11235" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST Badger / Blackland Razors "Era"
Alum / Muelhens "4711" After Shave Splash / Muelhens "4711" EdC

IMG-2246.jpg

22 May, 2023

Good morning everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Today is "Menthol Monday" and so I'm featuring some "cold" songs for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

A frightfully frigid, face-freezing foray this morning! Started off with PAA "The Cube" mentholated preshave soap and layered atop that a nice dollop of CO Bigelow shave cream with its nice, minty, eucalyptus blast. Very slick and cushioning lather produced with the Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" ST for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Tatara Masamune followed by a generous splash of Alt-Innsbruck for a superbly frosty finish and some Tom Ford "Beau de Jour" EdT. 🥶

PAA "The Cube" Mentholated Preshave Soap / C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" ST Brush
Tatara Masamune Razor / Polsilver /
Alum / Alt-Innsbruck EdC / Tom Ford Beau de Jour EdT

IMG-2250.jpg

Last edited:
23 May, 2023

Hello everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Some modern jazz for your listening pleasure this morning. Marko, the drummer in the rock band I'm in, sent me a couple of links to this band over the weekend and I immediately bought the album. Remy and Pascal Le Boeuf are twins and before the age of 18 they were already opening for top name acts such as Chick Corea. And so, here are a couple of cuts from their 2009 album, House Without a Door here are the Le Boeuf Brothers. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave to begin the day. Went back to @Dragonsbeard / Frank's ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Fresco" soap and skin food from his Italia Collection. Excellent lather built with the new Semogue SOC Premium Boar for two passes with the Blackland "Era" razor, and I finished with the matching skin food and AdP Colonia Essenza.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Fresco" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / Blackland Razors "Era"
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Fresco" Skin Food Splash / AdP Colonia "Essenza" EdC

IMG-2255.jpg

24 May, 2023

Good morning everyone! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®), and today I'm featuring a couple more from punk/goth rocker, Susan Janet Ballion aka Siouxsie Sioux. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went back to Stirling and their "Mountain Man" soap and splash. Excellent lather whipped up with the QED Select Manchurian ST for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Tatara Masamune and I finished with the matching splash and Creed's "Silver Mountain Water" EdP. 🗻

Stirling Soap Co. "Mountain Man" Shave Soap / QED Select Manchurian ST Badger / Tatara Masamune Razor / Polsilver
Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Mountain Man" After Shave Splash / Creed "Silver Mountain Water" EdP

IMG-2263.jpg

Fighting aging and memory loss one Wednesday at a time! He remembered again folks!

Great music set 😜

Siouxie is the original. She created the goth look and most of the punk fashion. Talk about being the first in everything. And that voice. One of the few I've never seen in concert that is near the top of my bucket list.

Once again....Mark wins wednesday.

Back