The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

13 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

It's after 8pm here so I'm featuring some nice, relaxing, chill-out music for your Saturday evening listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Busy day today so a late post but it started out with a great shave with both a new brush and soap/splash set. The new brush from Riva Brushes, Italy arrived yesterday and it is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I love the asymmetrical design. Very organic and just a beautiful brush to simply look at. And the performance was on par with its looks, whipping up a fantastic lather from the Eleven "Lime and Basil" soap. The soap base is fantastic, producing a lather that was thick, rich and very aromatic. A nice combination of tart lime and spice basil with some light floral notes hovering around in the background as well. Very cushioning with excellent slip. Two passes with the Blackland Era and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Aramis "Havana".

Hope you have a great evening. :)

Eleven Shaving "Lime and Basil" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Heather Briar ST Brush / Blackland Razors "Era"
Gillette Wilkinson Sword / Alum / Eleven Shaving "Lime and Basil" After Shave Splash / Aramis "Havana" EdT

IMG-2180.jpg

Last edited:
14 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're continuing to have a great weekend.

Got some nice, relaxing jazz for your Sunday listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Another great shave this morning! Went back to @Dragonsbeard / Frank and his excellent "Bergamoto" soap and skin food splash from the Italia Collection. Great lather built with the Rich Man Shaving brush for two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching skin food splash and a spray of Acqua di Parma Colonia "Essenza"

Hope you have a great day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bergamotto" Shave Soap / Rich Man Shaving ST Badger / Tatara Masamune / Polsilver
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bergamotto" Skin Food Splash / Acqua di Parma Colonia "Essenza" EdC

IMG-2188.jpg

15 May, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting all exotic here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®) with a couple featuring Indian guitarist Sandeep Mohan. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Decided to go with an "orange" theme today. Great scent and lather from the Grooming Dept. "Valencia" shave soap built with the Badlands Shaving "Underground Pool" ST for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Blackland "Era", and I finished with a splash of The Goodfellas' Smile "Orange Empire" after shave and a couple of sprays of "Terre d'Hermes" EdT

Hope you have a great evening. :)

Grooming Dept. "Valencia" Shave Soap / Badlands Shaving "Underground Pool" ST Brush / Blackland Razors "Era"
Gillette Wilkinson Sword / Alum / The Goodfellas' Smile "Orange Empire" After Shave Splash / Hermes "Terre d'Hermes" EdT

IMG-2197.jpg

16 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great day.

Late post. Up at four this morning to pick up my brother at five and head to the hospital for a procedure he had to put an internal heart monitor in. Took a little longer than expected. Everything went fine and I'm hoping this will help them get a better idea of how to deal with the problems he's experiencing. No SOTD pic because I didn't want to wake the wife by turning on the light but here's the shave..
  • PAA "The Cube" Mentholated Preshave Soap
  • Stirling Soap Co. "Bay Rum" Shave Soap
  • Wild West Brushworks "Belfour" Sweet Spot ST Badger Brush
  • Tatara Masamune Razor
  • Polsilver
  • Alum
  • Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" After Shave Lotion
And here's some tunes for your listening enjoyment. Hope you're having a great day. :)

Late post. Up at four this morning to pick up my brother at five and head to the hospital for a procedure he had to put an internal heart monitor in. Took a little longer than expected. Everything went fine and I'm hoping this will help them get a better idea of how to deal with the problems he's experiencing.
Glad it went well for your brother. Hope they get the answers they're looking for. Early hospital mornings are rough, but I like being first case, too. (y)

Glad it went well for your brother. Hope they get the answers they're looking for. Early hospital mornings are rough, but I like being first case, too. (y)
Yeah I’ll second that. Nearly everyone I know who works in healthcare (myself included) want to be either first or second case of the day (depending on the procedure).

17 May, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®)., and today I'm going with a couple from the band Scandal featuring Patty Smyth. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. The extra hour and a half of sleep helped as well (I'm really NOT a morning person). Haven't used La Toja in many years. So I thought I'd go with it this morning. Great lather and mild scent from the soap stick for two passes with the Blackland Razors "Era" for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching ASL and some Creed "Tabarome".

"La Toja" Shave Soap Stick / Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST Brush / Blackland Razors "Era"
Gillette Wilkinson Sword / Alum / "La Toja" After Shave Lotion / Creed "Tabarome" EdP

IMG-2209.jpg

Patty was almost the singer in Van Halen after Dave left. Eddie liked her voice and thought the male fans would find her attractive. Some PR person talked him out of it because they figured they would lose all of the female fans and about half of the male fans......record industry people are dumb. Patty kicks *ss.

Patty was almost the singer in Van Halen after Dave left. Eddie liked her voice and thought the male fans would find her attractive. Some PR person talked him out of it because they figured they would lose all of the female fans and about half of the male fans......record industry people are dumb. Patty kicks *ss.
Agreed!!

I had also read the she felt some reluctance to join because of all the boozing, etc. going on in VH. She was reportedly eight months pregnant at the time she was asked so I'm sure that played into her decision as well

She was reportedly eight months pregnant at the time she was asked so I'm sure that played into her decision as well
I hadn't heard that. That would make sense thou. Skipping the invite didn't hurt her at all.

18 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some tunes going this morning with a couple from Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson and his new band, Envy of None. This band is completely different from what he's done in Rush for the past four decades, going into a more Alt Rock / Synth Rock / Experimental direction. And so, from their 2022 eponymous debut album, here's "Never Said I Love you" & "Look Inside". Hope you enjoy.

Taking part in the "Bruce Solidarity Shave" this morning. Not completely scent free, but the MWF soap is very lightly scented and could almost pass (depending on your sensitivity), as unscented. Great lather built with the Riva Brush 26mm brush and the Manchurian knot has plenty of backbone for a sufficient load. Two passes with the Tatara Masamune (+ touch-up) and I finished with a splash of Floid Vigoroso and a spray of Prada "Prada L'Homme" EdT. Will continue the solidarity shaves through Saturday and will get things more scent-free for the next two. Bruce / @Graybeard57 you're in my thoughts, brother! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Riva Brushes Manchurian Badger / Tatara Masamune / Polsilver
Alum / Floid Vigoroso After Shave Splash / Prada "Prada L'Homme" EdT

IMG-2217.jpg

Hang on....hold the phone....wait just a goul darn minute.....is your razor named Tatara Masamune????? My wife's cousin calls his Tesla Masamune. I need more info.

I need more info.
Gorō Nyūdō Masamune (五郎入道正宗, Priest Gorō Masamune, c.1264–1343), was a medieval Japanese blacksmith widely acclaimed as Japan's greatest swordsmith. He created swords and daggers, known in Japanese as tachi and tantō, in the Sōshū school. However, many of his forged tachi were made into katana by cutting the tang (nakago) in later times. For this reason, his only existing works are katana and tantō. No exact dates are known for Masamune's life. It is generally agreed that he made most of his swords between 1288 and 1328. Some stories list his family name as Okazaki, but some experts believe this is a fabrication to enhance the standing of the Tokugawa family.

Masamune is believed to have worked in Sagami Province during the last part of the Kamakura period (1288–1328), and it is thought that he was trained by swordsmiths from Bizen and Yamashiro provinces, such as Saburo Kunimune, Awataguchi Kunitsuna and Shintōgo Kunimitsu. He was the father of Hikoshiro Sadamune, also a famous Sōshū master.

An award for swordsmiths called the Masamune Prize is awarded at the Japanese Sword Making Competition. Although not awarded every year, it is presented to a swordsmith who has created an exceptional work.

Back