The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

8 May, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Gettin' weird this Monday morning with a couple from El Sombrante, CA Alt / Funk / Prog / Unclassifiable rockers, Primus. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! Skipped yesterday so today's shave was especially nice. The "muggies" are returning, along with temps in the mid and upper 80's so I went with a nice, refreshing citrus theme today. Grabbed the tub of TOBS "Grapefruit" shave cream but before building the lather I used the PAA mentholated Cube preshave soap for a nice, icy kick. Great lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Tatara Masamune and I finished with a splash of ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage De Citron" skin food splash and several sprays of Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

PAA "The Cube" Mentholated Preshave Soap / Taylor of Old Bond Street "Grapefruit" Shave Cream / Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST Badger
Tatara Masamune / Polsilver /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage De Citron" Skin Food Splash / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" EdC

IMG-2149.jpg

9 May, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some tunes rolling this morning with four-time academy award nominee, Danny Elfman and his quirky, New Wave rock band, Oingo Boingo. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. The new brush from Riva Brushes arrived yesterday so, of course I had to take it for a spin this morning. Great lather whipped up with the Cooper & French "Old Goat" shave soap for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Karve and I finished with a splash of vintage Shulton "Old Spice" ASL and a spray of P&G "Old Spice" cologne.

Cooper & French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes ST Badger Brush / Karve SS Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-2156.jpg

I saw Oingo Boingo on one of their last performances. My wife was supposed to go, but her grandmother (who raised her) got sick and she flew back to Santa Monica to take care of her....so she missed the concert. I've always said if they do a reunion tour...we're going. Seems like Danny isn't up for that. Boo on him.

9 May, 2023

Getting some tunes rolling this morning with four-time academy award nominee, Danny Elfman and his quirky, New Wave rock band, Oingo Boingo. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. The new brush from Riva Brushes arrived yesterday so, of course I had to take it for a spin this morning. Great lather whipped up with the Cooper & French "Old Goat" shave soap for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Karve and I finished with a splash of vintage Shulton "Old Spice" ASL and a spray of P&G "Old Spice" cologne.

Cooper & French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Riva Brushes ST Badger Brush / Karve SS Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

View attachment 110686
The word "quirky" you used in reference to Elfman's music really struck me, because I've always heard Oingo Bingo in my head when I hear that word! He is the Bach of quirk. If his staccato/string madness/horn freneticism could name a style, it should be called quirk.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

10 May, 2023

Getting some tunes going for you this morning with some Paul Simon and his 5 X Platinum selling album, Graceland. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Went back to @Dragonsbeard / ETHOS Grooming Essentials and his wonderful Tribute Series, "Shave MD" soap and splash. Excellent lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Tatara Masamune (I was in a rush this morning and just realized I used the wrong razor for the SOTD 🤪 ) and I finished with the matching skin food splash and a spray (or four) of Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT. Excellent!

In other news, it looks as if we're moving right on into summer here so it's time to break out the warm weather scents. 😎

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Shave MD" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" ST Badger / Tatara Masamune
Polsilver /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Shave MD" Skin Food Splash / Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG-2162.jpg

Paul Simon and his 5 X Platinum selling album, Graceland.
He stopped in Pittsburgh on the Graceland tour. His international band filled the stage, and proceeded to fill the Civic Arena with the most amazing music I've heard live. An aural delight. (y) (y)

11 May, 2023

Rocking it out this morning with a couple from Seattle, WA rockers, Queens of the Stone Age. Hope you enjoy.

Visit to the dentist first thing this morning so I went back to some low-scent-strength wares. Excellent results though. Great lather from the CO Bigelow cream built with the new Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" 24mm SHD ST brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Blackland Razors "Era" and I finished with Proraso "Green" ASB and a spray of Creed "Erolfa" (once I was out of the dentist office).

CO Bigelow Premium Shave Cream / Rich Yuengel "Copper Ore" ST Brush / Blackland Razors "Era"
Gillette Wilkinson Sword / Alum / Proraso "Green" After Shave Balm / Creed "Erolfa" EdP

IMG-2167.jpg

Visit to the dentist first thing this morning so I went back to some low-scent-strength wares.
Too considerate! I don’t know if I’d have thought to do that…probably would have chalked it up as the cost of doing business with me 😂

12 May, 2023

It's "Fusion Friday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®) and today I'm featuring a couple from the late, great Chick Corea and his "Elekrtic Band". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! After yesterday's shave with its muted scents, I wanted to use something that "screamed" this morning. Hendrix Classics "Citrus Bomb" fits that description perfectly! Enormous grapefruit blast right off the top, with orange and tangerine notes backing it up. Great lather produced with the new Rich Man Shaving ST brush for two passes with the Tatara Masamune (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT. Great wat to finish out the workweek.

Hendrix Classics & Co. "Citrus Bomb" Shave Soap / Rich Man Shaving ST Badger / Tatara Masamune
Polsilver /
Alum / Hendrix Classics & Co. "Citrus Bomb" After Shave Splash / Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT

IMG-2172.jpg

12 May, 2023

It's "Fusion Friday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®) and today I'm featuring a couple from the late, great Chick Corea and his "Elekrtic Band". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! After yesterday's shave with its muted scents, I wanted to use something that "screamed" this morning. Hendrix Classics "Citrus Bomb" fits that description perfectly! Enormous grapefruit blast right off the top, with orange and tangerine notes backing it up. Great lather produced with the new Rich Man Shaving ST brush for two passes with the Tatara Masamune (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT. Great wat to finish out the workweek.

Hendrix Classics & Co. "Citrus Bomb" Shave Soap / Rich Man Shaving ST Badger / Tatara Masamune
Polsilver /
Alum / Hendrix Classics & Co. "Citrus Bomb" After Shave Splash / Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT

View attachment 110883

I love the color of your brush. (y)

Back