The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Ya, still waiting on that picture.
giphy.gif

4 May, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some tunes going for you this morning with a couple from what IMO is one of the GREATEST Americana / American Roots albums recorded. Ever! They're the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and the album is Will The Circle Be Unbroken. Hope you enjoy.

Nothing fancy or flashy about today's shave, but the results were stellar. Actually had a whole other shave planned but before jumping in the shower I grabbed the tub of RazoRock's excellent "P.160 Special Shaving Soap" and went with it instead. Excellent lather whipped up with the Semogue SOC Super Badger for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with some Nivea Men "Sensitive" ASB and some Tome Ford "Oud Wood" EdP.

Hope you have a great day. :)

RazoRock "P.160" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC "Super Badger" Brush / Karve SS Christopher Bradley Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Nivea Men "Sensitive" After Shave Balm / Tom Ford "Oud Wood" EdP

IMG-2130.jpg

No, but No One, plays Doc Watson. That's a deep cut if ever there was one. I love The Dirt Band, and have this album. I cannot even remember all of the musicians on this record, but wasn't Doc Watson on it, with many others, including Earl Scruggs and son or sons, if memory serves me right. I think I need to put the disc in my car. :)

No, but No One, plays Doc Watson. That's a deep cut if ever there was one. I love The Dirt Band, and have this album. I cannot even remember all of the musicians on this record, but wasn't Doc Watson on it, with many others, including Earl Scruggs and son or sons, if memory serves me right. I think I need to put the disc in my car. :)

Yeah that's Doc on there. It was literally an "all star cast" on that album.

5 May, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Like his movies or not, you can't deny that Quentin Tarantino's films feature some the most righteous & eclectic soundtracks in cinema. So today I'm featuring a couple of mixes of various tunes from his films. Be advised however, the second link does have some excerpts from the movies they were featured in and contain some "colorful" language. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave today. Went back to Stirling for the final shave of the workweek and their boozy, menthol-cooled "Gin & Tonic on the Rocks". Great lather built with the Badlands Shaving ST badger brush for two passes (+ touch-up) with the "Black Beauty" and I finished with a splash of Clubman Reserve "Gent's Gin" AS and Demeter Fragrances "Gin & Tonic" EdC.

Stirling Soap Co. "Gin & Tonic on the Rocks" Shave Soap / Badlands Shaving ST Badger Brush / 70's Gillette Black Beauty / Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Alum / Clubman "Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin" After Shave Splash / Demeter Fragrance "Gin & Tonic" EdC

IMG-2136.jpg

6 May, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.
Some easy-going tunes for your Saturday with a couple from Woodstock, NY rock band, Orleans. Hope you enjoy

Another "Salute to Italy" shave today. My package from Cella arrived yesterday so, of course I had to use it today. I haven't used the soap in years. Had a tub long ago and finished the entire thing off. It was one of my favorites, but I wanted to explore other soaps and scents aside from the traditional (and wonderful, I might add) Italian "almond / marzipan" scent. And so, it's been a long time since I last used it. Same great scent and boy, what a wonderful lather built with the Zenith Manchurian badger brush. I was afraid that in the time between I last used it, the formulation might have changed and it wouldn't be as good. But, I felt nothing that would lead me to believe that's the case. Excellent results and wonderful post shave face feel. I also used the after shave lotion, which I had not used in the past. Very soothing, but a little on the "tacky / sticky" side. The scent seemed very similar to something else I've smelled before but I can't think of what it is. :unsure:

Anyway, great shave and since it was a relatively "late" one, I'll likely be observing "No Shave Sunday" tomorrow.

Cella Shave Cream / Zenith Manchurian ST Badger Brush / Karve SS Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Cella After Shave Lotion / Creed "Viking Cologne" EdP

IMG-2143.jpg

Ahhh Cella…such a great scent! I haven’t tried the AS either…if you do remember what it smells like, do tell! I understand it’s at least not almondy?

Back