The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Scent sounds good, even if it was light! I have to imagine it’s just the soap company? I haven’t smelled a Tom Ford yet that wasn’t pungent…fleeting maybe, but definitely always pungent.

“Bonus Woman” Thursday 😂

14 April, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had pleasant evening.

It's Friday finally! w00t! Ending the workweek with a few cuts from Boston rockers, The Cars. Two videos but four songs total because you can't just listen to "Bye Bye Love" on its own. You MUST listen to it, "Moving In Stereo" & "All Mixed Up" back to back as the universe intended. Hope you enjoy!

Back to Stirling Soap Co. for my Friday shave, this time going with their homage to Armani "Acqua di Gio", "Dunshire". The weather's slowly warming up and I'm starting to incorporate more of my "warm weather" scents into my shave rotation. Unlike my last two shaves, I do have this frag and Stirling did a great job replicating it. Great scent strength both off the soap itself and when lathered. Thick, slick, yogurt-like lather built with the Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" 26mm ST badger brush. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Dunshire" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Dunshire" After Shave Splash / Giorgio Armani "Acqua di Gio" EdT

IMG-1979.jpg

I regret never trying Dunshire before switching to Unscented. It was on the list to try. The Cars are one of my favorite Boston bands - thanks for the music!

17 April, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had great weekend.

In a Bowie mood today so here are a couple of his 80's best. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. Went back to Phoenix Shaving and their "Shave Chaser" soap. This is an homage to "Skin Bracer" of course. One of my all-time favorite splashes. Great scent and lather built with the QED Select Manchurian ST badger brush. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with a splash of Mennen "Skin Bracer" and a several sprays of PAA "Shave Chaser" EdP

Phoenix Shaving "Shave Chaser" Shave Soap / QED Select Manchurian ST Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Polsilver / Alum / Mennen "Skin Bracer" After Shave Splash / Phoenix Shaving "Shave Chaser" EdP

IMG-2004.jpg

A little Bowie is sure to improve anyone’s Monday! And an excellent shave setup!

Have a good one Mark!

18 April, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had pleasant evening.

Let's get groovy! Let's get funky! Chaka Khan for your listening enjoyment today with a couple from her 1980 album, Naughty (which also features my all-time favorite bass guitarist, Anthony Jackson). Hope you enjoy

I guess this would be a 66.6% Italian appreciation shave since four of the six artisans represented originate from there (the razor handle was made in Raleigh NC and the RazoRock head in Canada). New soap day as well with the Mondial 1908 "Zagara" soap arriving over the weekend. Medium-strong scent strength both off the soap itself and when lathered with a nice mix of floral and light citrus. Thick, slick, yogurt-like lather built with the Zenith Manchurian 26mm ST badger brush. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with RazoRock's "Blue Barbershop" splash and a spray of Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC.

Mondial 1908 "Zagara" Shave Soap / Zenith Manchurian ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE / Gillette Platinum
Alum / RazoRock "Blue Barbershop" After Shave Splash
/ Acqua di Parma "Colonia Essenza" EdC

IMG-2009.jpg

Hi Mark, you’ve piqued my interest in the Mondial soaps. As chance would have it, the two that interest me are Bergamotto/Neroli and Zagara. Could I ask you to please comment on the scents and the differences between them?

Hi Mark, you’ve piqued my interest in the Mondial soaps. As chance would have it, the two that interest me are Bergamotto/Neroli and Zagara. Could I ask you to please comment on the scents and the differences between them?
Between them, Bergamotto/Neroli is my favorite. This is based totally on scent as both soaps produced a great lather.

Bergamotto/Neroli - The bergamot is very forward in this soap. Sharp, tart and refreshing on a bed of the sweeter neroli. Great summer soap.

Zagara - Not as strongly scented as the other (to my nose). Floral forward (but not overpowering) with light petitgrain citrus sweetness. Perfect for spring!

Both soaps have the same base with that unmistakable Italian artisan soap aroma in the background. A little hard to describe as it's not that normal almond/marzipan scent, but something else that I've detected in other Italian soaps.

You can't go wrong with either one IMO. Just comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps.

19 April, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you pleasant evening.

Some Dave Matthews Band this morning for your listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Got a dental cleaning later on this morning so I borrowed a page from the playbook of @Graybeard57 and used low scent / no scent products. Definitely a "Bruce approved" soap with great lather but no scent whatsoever with the vintage Colgate Cup Soap. Great lather though, built with the 22mm Shavemac 120 ST brush. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the Proraso "Refreshing" ASB. No frag applied yet. Will wait until after my appt.

Vintage "Colgate Cup Soap" Shave Soap / Shavemac 122 ST Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Polsilver / Alum / Proraso "Refreshing" After Shave Balm

IMG-2016a.jpg

Back