The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

8 April, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Some classic rock for your Saturday listening pleasure with a couple from The Who. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. It's "The Masters" weekend in Augusta GA so I broke out the Denton Majik "Masters of the Green". Wonderful scent. Kinda similar to Creed GIT but not a full-on dupe. Wonderful lather built with the new RazoRock "Chubby" ST! Slick, thick, yogurt-like consistency with lots of cushion. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with a splash of Pinaud Clubman ASL and and several sprays of Tom Ford "Beau de Jour" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Denton Majik "Masters of the Green" Shave Soap / RazoRock "Chubby" ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion / Tom Ford "Beau de Jour" EdT

IMG-1926.jpg

9 April, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

A couple from English rockers XTC for your listening pleasure today. Hope you enjoy!

An Italian themed shave today and to say I was impressed with my choice of soap today would be an understatement. This soap absolutely blew me away! I had heard of P.160 but had never tried it in its old incarnation. Bought a tub or RazoRock's version when I ordered the Mamba razor head. Nice scent with a classic almond / marzipan aroma, but the quality of the lather was the star here! Thick, slick and provided a great post-shave face feel. For eight bucks, you can't beat it! Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with some Proraso ASB and a spray of Maison Margiela "At The Barbers".

RazoRock "P.160" Shave Soap / Zenith Manchurian ST Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Polsilver /
Alum / Proraso After Shave Lotion / Maison Margiela "Replica At the Barbers" EdT

IMG-1936.jpg

10 April, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

It's "Hair Metal Monday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®) and today I'm featuring a couple from 80's rockers, Y&T. I saw these guys live back in the 80's open for Mötley Crüe. Y&T blew them off the stage! Hope you enjoy!

Back to @Dragonsbeard and his Island Collection for today's shave. Love his "Bay Rum" soap. It's become one of my favorites! Thick, slick lather that provides a great base and post-shave face feel. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the "Tortola" (hope he ends up making a soap with this scent) skin food splash and a spray of Sean John "Unforgivable" EdT.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Rosé Noir ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Tortola" Skin Food Splash / Sean John "Unforgivable" EdT

IMG-1942.jpg

@MarkB I hope your face is okay. That handle looks like it would be slippery as all get out.

Bingo players, get out of here there is no call.

giphy.gif

11 April, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had pleasant evening.

Going with some classic 80's ZZ Top for your Tuesday morning listening pleasure. Hope you enjoy.

Went back to Saponificio Varesino for this morning's shave. Love their "70th Anniversary" soap / splash set. Great any time of year but IMO it really shines when the weather start warming up. Had to wait a bit before using it again, though. I had put it in a plastic bin last fall while rotating in some of my autumn soaps & splashes. Well, at some point the box was jostled and the cap on the ASL cracked which caused all of it's contents to leak out. All of it! Big mess, but boy, did my bathroom smell nice for a while! The Beta 4.1 formula provides a thick, slick lather with a lot of cushion and post-shave face feel. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching ASL and a spray of Acqua di Parma "Cipresso di Toscana" EdT.

Saponificio Varesino "70th Anniversary" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed / Polsilver
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "70th Anniversary" After Shave Lotion / Acqua di Parma "Cipresso di Toscana" EdT

IMG-1961.jpg

Well, at some point the box was jostled and the cap on the ASL cracked which caused all of it's contents to leak out.
Must have been quite a jostle! Those caps feel pretty sturdy! Are you sure the missus wasn’t upset at you for something? 😜

12 April, 2023

Going back to the 60's/70's today with a couple from one of the greatest rock bands (and guitarists) of all time, The Allman Brothers Band. Hope you enjoy!

New soap day with Barrister and Mann's "Fougere Classique" soap and splash. Inspired by Houbigant "Fougere Royale", it's a beautiful aromatic fougere with a lovely rich, green scent and a touch of talc (to my nose anyway) which pushes it ever so slightly into barbershop territory. Wonderful! I've never tried the frag so I can't speak to its accuracy, but, I foresee a bottle of this wonderful elixir in my future. A decadently thick, slick lather built with the Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" ST which provided a lot of cushion and the post-shave face feel was wonderful. Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Nicolai "New York Intense" EdP.

Barrister and Mann "Fougere Classique" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Pit Viper" ST Badger / Imperium Shaving + RazoRock DE
Alum / Barrister and Mann "Fougere Classique" After Shave Splash / Nicolai "New York Intense" EdP

IMG-1966.jpg

Last edited:
13 April, 2023

So today is "Women of Rock Wednesday... but on a Thursday" since I was apparently having mini-strokes yesterday and completely forgot. :rolleyes:

Today I'm featuring the dynamic duo of Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson, vocalists for The B-52's. It's also "Bonus Woman Thursday" with female bassist Sara Lee who recorded the groovy / funky lines to the album Cosmic Thing from which these songs come. She can also be seen in the videos I posted. Hope you enjoy!

New soap day with 345 Soap Co. "Den Of Thieves" soap and splash. This set is an homage to Tom Ford's "Rive D'Ambre", with a nice blast of citrus atop a bed of warm amber and light green notes. As with yesterday's set, I have never tried the frag it's based on so I can't comment on its accuracy. The scent is very light. Not sure if I got an older tub but even face lathering didn't seem to make the notes any more pronounced than directly off the soap. The real star here was the lather which was built with the new "Underground Pool" 26mm ST badger brush from Badlands Shaving. Superb slip and cushion with great post-shave face feel. Wonderful! Two passes (+touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Tom Ford "Tom Ford for Men" EdT.

345 Soap Co. "Den Of Thieves" Shave Soap / Badlands Shaving "Underground Pool" ST Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Polsilver / Alum / 345 Soap Co. "Den Of Thieves" After Shave Splash / Tom Ford "Tom Ford for Men" EdT

IMG-1973.jpg

Back