The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

2 April, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Some early 80's awesomeness from Portland, OR rockers, Quarterflash. Hope you enjoy.

Been looking forward to using this soap for a couple of weeks now, but was participating in the "Budget Friendly" themed shaves. "Bergamotto & Neroli" soap from Mondial 1908 is one of the nicest smelling soaps I've ever used. A fresh, tart bergamot on a base of sweet neroli that produces an incredibly slick, fragrant and cushioning lather. Much better quality lather than when I first used the "Mandarin & Spices". This time I added water in smaller amounts. Gonna get another shave with the M&S sometime this week and see how it goes. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with some AdP "Colonia" ASB and a spray of AdP "Essenza" EdC.

Hope you're having a great day. :)

Mondial 1908 "Bergamotto & Neroli" Shave Soap / QED Select Manchurian ST Badger / Imperium + RR Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Acqua di Parma "Colonia" After Shave Balm / Acqua di Parma "Essenza" EdC

IMG-1879.jpg

3 April, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Let's get some music going for your Monday (Blah!) with a couple from 90's Alt Rock icons R.E.M. Hope you enjoy.

Today is the 49th anniversary of the infamous 1974 Tornado Super outbreak. I was in 1st grade but still remember to this day the sirens going off and all of us huddling in the hallway. One came over the school and damaged the roof and an old chimney. This multi-day storm system, until 2011, held the record for the largest outbreak for a singe 24 hour period (148 confirmed tornadoes). Thankfully, nothing like that happening today. Just wet & rainy. Perfect for a Monday.

Thought a nice fougere shave would be good for today since everything's budding out and starting to grow. Decided to go with West Coast Shaving and their "Fougere" soap / splash set from their house line. Nice spicy, green scent a good lather built with the WWBW "Canyon" ST brush. Two passes and I finished with the matching splash and a thorough dousing of Penhaligon's "English Fern" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

West Coast Shaving "Fougere" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Canyon" ST Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Wilkinson Sword /
Alum / West Coast Shaving "Fougere" After Shave Splash/ Penhaligon's "English Fern" EdT

IMG-1885.jpg

4 April, 2023

Let's get some music going and today we're going back to the 80's with a couple from Scottish rockers, Simple Minds. Hope you enjoy.

Sorry for the late post. Had an impromptu meeting called, all hands on deck which, in the end, had nothing to do with either me or my department. Honestly, it could have been handled with a simple company wide email but, whatcha gonna do?

Great shave this morning. Went with Phoenix Shaving's Doppelganger Gold Label soap and splash set. This is an homage to Creed's Royal Mayfair which is one of my all-time favorite scents. Excellent lather from the CK-6 base built with the Simpson "Chubby" 2 for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and a couple of sprays of Creed "Royal Mayfair" EdP (don't need much, it's strong).

Phoenix Shaving "Gold Label" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Super Badger / Imperium Shaving - RR Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Gold Label" After Shave Splash/ Creed "Royal Mayfair" EdP

IMG-1894.jpg

5 April, 2023

Venturing into deep cuts territory today for "Women of Rock Wednesday". Actually today I'm going with "Women of Soul, Funk, R&B and Disco Wednesday" with a couple from Leland, Mississippi singer, Thelma Houston. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Gonna be in the 80's today with "feels like" temps in the low 90's. We're getting a little taste of summer so I decided to go with an orange theme for today's shave. Grooming Department's "Valencia" is an excellent soap with notes of (you guessed it) orange! Orange juice, orange peel, and orange blossom with additional notes of lemon, petitgrain and cedar. Smells delicious and the lather is phenomenal! Thick, yogurt-like consistency and extremely slick. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with a splash of The Goodfellas' Smile "Orange Empire" AS (decanted into an antique Preston & Merrill's Extract of Orange bottle) and several sprays of Hermes "Terre d'Hermes" EdT.

Grooming Dept. "Valencia" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Super Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed TV Special
Polsilver /
Alum / The Goodfellas' Smile "Orange Empire" After Shave Splash/ Hermes "Terre d'Hermes EdT

IMG-1903.jpg

6 April, 2023

Some good ol' British hard rock for you this morning with a couple from the band UFO. Hope you enjoy

Great shave this morning. Like the Mondial 1908 "Bergamot Neroli", I've been looking forward to using this soap for a couple of weeks now. But, as before, I was participating in the "Budget Friendly" themed shaves. Had to transfer this soap into a larger container before first use. I ordered the 50g size to try since the full-size jars aren't cheap. It arrived in a tiny, narrow jar which, while perfect for holding this particular amount of soap, was too narrow to load from directly. Here you see it compared to a standard sized TOBS tub.

IMG-1916.jpg

If I used a bowl / scuttle to build my lather then the size wouldn't be an issue. Just scoop out a little and have at it. But I face lather and prefer to load the brush directly from the soap / cream. So I transferred the contents into a spare, empty jar I got from Stirling. Not the best looking setup, but it makes loading / lathering much easier. This stuff was worth the wait! Great scent and lather built with the new Wild West Brushworks "Lagoon" ST. Thick, slick and very cushioning. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with a splash of ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage De Citron" skin food splash and a several sprays of Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT.

Martin de Candre "Agrumes" Shave Soap / WWBW "Lagoon" ST Badger / Imperium Shaving - RR Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Nuage De Citron Skin Food Splash/ Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT

IMG-1911.jpg

Wacker Chevalier 6/8
TSC/Sorrentino Annv Brush/Badger
Pannacrema Nuavia Verde shave soap
Pannacrema Nuavia Verde aftershave balm
Georgio Armani Acqua di Gio EdT

View attachment 108666
Darn near the perfect overall combo in software with the PcN and the Gio. Now with the balm from PcN. It now has that missing piece. Personally I think this combo is the freshest overall scent in the library, very bright and the quality of the products in definitely top tier

You cannot help but feel great after using this stuff

Temps are finally going to be in tie 80’s with milder overnight temps and “hooray” our 1st 90 degree temp will be here on Easter Sunday. Melted bunnies everywhere!!!

Have a good day folks
Uh oh I think someone got lost in their hurry to get to the shop 😂

Wacker Chevalier 6/8
TSC/Sorrentino Annv Brush/Badger
Pannacrema Nuavia Verde shave soap
Pannacrema Nuavia Verde aftershave balm
Georgio Armani Acqua di Gio EdT

View attachment 108666
Darn near the perfect overall combo in software with the PcN and the Gio. Now with the balm from PcN. It now has that missing piece. Personally I think this combo is the freshest overall scent in the library, very bright and the quality of the products in definitely top tier

You cannot help but feel great after using this stuff

Temps are finally going to be in tie 80’s with milder overnight temps and “hooray” our 1st 90 degree temp will be here on Easter Sunday. Melted bunnies everywhere!!!

Have a good day folks
Well hello there, @BarberDave ! Thanks for dropping in! 😁

7 April, 2023

Featuring the cosmic music of Vangelis for today. I first remember hearing his work through the old PBS series "Cosmos" hosted by Carl Sagan. Loved that theme. Later he scored the incredible film "Blade Runner". Don't think that movie would have been the same had anyone else done it. Hope you enjoy.

Off work today for Good Friday but had some errands to run so later than usual post. Great shave though! Went back to Saponificio Varesino and "Manna de Sicilia" soap and splash. Fantastic lather from the soap built with the Semogoe SOC Premium Boar brush for two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching ASL and a couple of sprays of Creed "Himalaya".

Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Badger / '58 Gillette Super Speed
Polsilver /
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" After Shave Lotion / Creed "Himalaya" EdP

IMG-1919.jpg

Last edited:
Later he scored the incredible film "Blade Runner".
You mean there’s film scores that aren’t composed by John Williams or Hans Zimmer? Amazing!

Guess I’ve never really given thought to who did Blade Runner…good to know! I’ll be looking that one up later!

Back