The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

15 March, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today we're hopping across the big pond to the Land of the Rising Sun. The band is called Band Maid and these gals can rock! Hope you enjoy.

No practice with the band last night. The drummer had to work over and the fiddle/piano player couldn't make either. So, we contacted the new guitarist and gave him the option of coming on out but he said he'd wait until next week and work on the songs more.

Had a different shave planned for today but yesterday's thread by @Shave&Butcher made me want to break out my jar of MWF and use it today. Grabbed the Zenith boar and whipped up a wonderfully slick and cushioning lather for two passes with the "Fatboy" (+ touch-up) and finished with some Epsilon Amber AS and several sprays of Pascal Morabito "Or Black" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap / Zenith "Chubby Scrubby" Boar Brush / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Epsilon "Amber" After Shave Splash / Pascal Morabito "Or Black" EdT

IMG-1721.jpg

Kept thinking all day yesterday that there was something special about it... Racked my brain all day trying to figure it out and late last night it hit me! It was the 26th anniversary of the "Phoenix Lights" event. Had I remembered I would have broke out this soap/splash set again.

Did anyone ever watch those documentaries I had mentioned?

IMG-1638.jpg

Kept thinking all day yesterday that there was something special about it... Racked my brain all day trying to figure it out and late last night it hit me! It was the 26th anniversary of the "Phoenix Lights" event. Had I remembered I would have broke out this soap/splash set again.

Did anyone ever watch those documentaries I had mentioned?

Not yet! It’s on the docket, if it’s to be easily found!

Great shave today! Have a good one Mark!

16 March, 2023

I'm rocking it out this morning with London's Punk Rock / New Wave greats, The Clash. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! Went back to Phoenix Shaving's "Lo Haiku", an homage to the infamous Hai Karate. This soap/splash is a "musk monster" that makes a statement and doesn't care what you think about it! Backing this beast is a collection of churlish cohorts including oakmoss, amber, tonka bean, lavender and cedar among others. Incredibly slick, yogurt-like lather whipped up with the YAQI "Moka Express" brush. Two passes with the 61 "Fatboy" and I finished with the aforementioned matching splash and a spray of Amouage "Imitation Man", an homage to New York City of the 70's with floral notes (mainly violet and iris to my nose), with a base of leathery vetiver. There's also (to my nose anyway) a slight metallic note. This was a blind buy for me and at first I was offput with it but over time it has grown on me and now I really like it. It's unique. Never smelled anything else quite like it. Also, this is the last shave I'm doing with the Wilkinson Sword. Gotta say, I was very impressed with this blade. I could probably squeeze out a few more shaves with it but I can tell that the edge is deteriorating quickly, necessitating extra ATG buffing this morning for the desired result.

Phoenix Shaving "Lo Haiku" Shave Soap / YAQI "Moka Express" Two-Band Badger / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Lo Haiku" After Shave Splash / Amouage "Imitation Man" EdT

IMG-1726.jpg

Aah, Hai Karate. 😃
an homage to New York City of the 70's
I spent some holidays at my parents' on Staten Is. in the '70s, and I remember subway smells, bus exhaust, hot dogs with sauerkraut on the ferry, underground smells at subway stops with vendors. I don't think I want to smell like that!

17 March, 2023

It's St. Patrick's Day and so I thought I'd feature the Irish band U2 in honor of the day. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. I of course had to recognize the day (I do have a little Irish in me per Ancestry DNA) and chose to go with Phoenix Shaving's "Irish Springs" Smells exactly like the soap I used for years. Great lather produced with the WWBW "REM Cycle" brush. Broke out my old Merkur Futur. Hadn't used it in years and I had forgotten what great shave it gives. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Creed "Green Irish Tweed".

Hope you have a great day (and remembered to wear something green)! :) 🍀🇮🇪

Phoenix Shaving "Irish Springs" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Badger / Merkur Futur / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Irish Springs" After Shave Splash / Creed "Green Irish Tweed" EdP

IMG-1746.jpg

Irish Spring was also used quite a bit in my parents’ home when I was growing up. Fun scent for sure!

Hope it’s a great close to the work week for ya!

18 March, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Early Saturday evening journal post but there must be music! Let's get dark with some swanky, twangy vocals. Here's some Danzig for you!

Great "Old Spice" shave this chilly March morning. Used the new Semogue boar and was blown away with its softness and ability to whip up a thick and slick lather. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell Model T and I finished with a splash of Shulton "Old Spice" ASL.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Cooper & French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / Rockwell "Model T" Razor
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion

IMG-1760.jpg

18 March, 2023

Great "Old Spice" shave this chilly March morning. Used the new Semogue boar and was blown away with its softness and ability to whip up a thick and slick lather. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the Rockwell Model T and I finished with a splash of Shulton "Old Spice" ASL.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Cooper & French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Premium Boar / Rockwell "Model T" Razor
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion

View attachment 107627
I need to check if this soap maker is infringing on my rights. I thought I was the original old goat. :mad:

19 March, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Some music for you Sunday listening enjoyment so here's a couple from English rockers Echo & the Bunnymen. Hope you enjoy!

Late post. Busy day, but it started with a great shave! Hadn't used the Wholly Kaw "La Supérieure Dulci Tobacco" cream in a while and wanted to remedy that today. This is more of a "hard cream" than something along the lines of say TOBS, GFT, etc. It produces an incredible slick and cushioning and the scent it very strong (like I like it). Sweet tobacco, but not so much along the lines of TF "Tobacco Vanille". More earthy and spicy with less sweetness (though that is there with the vanilla), along with light fruit notes. Two passes with the Futur and I finished with a splash of Clubman Reserve "Brandy Spice" and a few sprays of Creed "Tabarome Millesime".

Went grill shopping this afternoon. Looked at a couple at my local Lowes and found one in particular that I really liked. Gonna do some research online before I commit.

Wholly Kaw La Supérieure "Dulci Tobacco" Shave Cream / Shavemac 177 Silver Tip / Merkur Futur / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Clubman Reserve "Brandy Spice" After Shave Lotion / Creed "Tabarome Millesime"

IMG-1773.jpg

Looking for a specific kind of grill or just seeing what your options are?
I definitely want a gas grill. I prefer them over traditional charcoal. I know to some that's heresy but I like the convenience. I began using them back when I was doing the "every other week on-call" thing at my job. If I was cooking and had to go out on a call, it's simpler (and safer) having the option to just turn it off than having to worry about going off and leaving a hot charcoal grill unattended. I really don't need anything with a side burner and since it's just the wife and I, a two or three burner model is fine. I'm interested in the infrared grills. Seems safer since there's less possibility of flare-ups. One "must have" is that I want one with porcelain-coated, cast iron grates.

Back