The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

4 March, 2023

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Spent a good portion of last night in the ER with my brother. He had a heart attack back in 2017 and thought he was having another one yesterday. Called me before I got out of work and I told him to dial 911 and that I would meet him there at the hospital. Thankfully (after seven hours in the triage room) we got the word that it wasn't a heart attack and the attending physician told him to follow up with his cardiologist. Got home about two this morning. Slept in and had a later than normal shower and shave which, along with some coffee, helped immensely. May skip tomorrow since I shaved so late but I'll reassess in the morning.

Great shave though! Got in my new brush from Wild West Brushworks yesterday and used it to whip up an incredible lather with Stirling's "Bay Rum" shave soap. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the "Fatboy" (shave #11 on the Wilkinson Sword blade and still going strong) and I finished with a splash of Clubman VIBR and a spray of Barberry Coast "Nature Isle" EdP.

Hope you're having a great day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / WWBW "Canyon" ST Badger / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" After Shave Splash /Barberry Coast "Nature Isle" EdP

IMG-1629.jpg

So relieved it wasnā€™t a heart attack! I hope it goes well for your brother with the cardiologist.

I was wondering when youā€™d break out the bay rum! Itā€™s been days!

So relieved it wasnā€™t a heart attack! I hope it goes well for your brother with the cardiologist.

I was wondering when youā€™d break out the bay rum! Itā€™s been days!
Thanks brother. :)

Yeah I put the bay rum on the back burner for a bit to try out some other items. Got in the Mondial "Bergamotto Neroli" today and brother, this is right up your alley! Beautiful scent!

Oh man! Glad things turned out to be not so bad!

Hope you get some good R&R today Mark!

In addition to todayā€™s shaveā€¦ā€¦.which seems to be missing - get on it Squidā€¦..may I commend you my brother on your latest frag acquisitions and of course - yesterdays frag of the day for you?

Thank you, guys. He's doing well. Spoke to him this morning and echoed the doctor's instruction that he keep that appointment with his cardiologist. Told him I'd drive him if he needed me to.
Glad he's doing well. He needs to have the cardiologist sort it all out. (y)

6 March, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Let's get things hopping around here with some good ol' Rock and Roll courtesy of Huey Lewis & The News. Hope you enjoy!

In need of another citrus fix this morning so I reached for the TOBS "Grapefruit" cream. Love this stuff! I foresee myself using it a lot this year as the weather warms. Excellent lather whipped up with the WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot badger and I finished with a splash of Master Splash Creations "Grapefruit Zest" AS and several sprays of Prada "Luna Rossa".

Hope you have a great day. :)

TOBS "Grapefruit" Shave Cream / WWBW "REM Cycle" Sweet Spot Badger / 61 Gillette Fatboy / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Master Splash Creations "Grapefruit Zest" After Shave Splash / Prada "Luna Rossa" EdT

IMG-1647a.jpg

Last edited:
7 March, 2023

Heading back to the 80's with today's music selection, or a modern, stylized interpretation thereof with "Blade Runner" skies and "Tech Noir" vibes. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. Broke out the Wholly Kaw "Cedrati". Wonderful citrus open with spices and woods and a base of cedar, oakmoss and musk. I've read that this is almost a direct clone of Mancera "Cedrat Boise" but I've never been able to compare them. Paired very well with the Mont Blanc "Explorer" EdT. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the 61 "Fatboy" and I finished with the matching splash and several prays of the aforementioned "Explorer" EdT.

Not much new to report on the home front. The wife is looking for a new job. She's just grown tired of working in the medical field. She's still going to physical therapy over the accident that happened in December. Never got around to mentioning it because of the trip to Florida for Christmas and my dad's death and funeral shortly thereafter (or maybe I did... can't remember :unsure: ). Max continues to be a little terror around the house. We had him fixed but it hasn't mellowed him out at all. I think he's a mutant and has a third testicle in there somewhere that the doctor missed. We can't keep toys because he destroys them! First, he kills the squeaker (I don't mind that so much, it gets annoying) and them rips them apart like a hyena would do to a gazelle on the plains of Africa. Total carnage! Stuffing everywhere! :rolleyes: No more puppies! I'm too old to keep up with them!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Wholly Kaw "Cedrati" Shave Soap / YAQI "Mojito" Two-band Badger / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Wholly Kaw "Cedrati" After Shave Splash / Mont Blanc "Explorer" EdT

IMG-1657.jpg

The wife is looking for a new job. She's just grown tired of working in the medical field. She's still going to physical therapy over the accident that happened in December. Never got around to mentioning it
I hope she finds something that makes her happyā€¦..I know that the medical field can be so drainingā€¦ā€¦Sorry about the accident, I hope the PT helps! I donā€™t remember hearing about that. - we need to send the MarkB family to the people who did the $6 million man - the family needs a revamp!

We had him fixed but it hasn't mellowed him out at all.
If someone tried to ā€fixā€ me by removing parts of my unit down there - Iā€™d be a terror too. Just sayinā€™

Heading back to the 80's with today's music selection, or a modern, stylized interpretation thereof with "Blade Runner" skies and "Tech Noir" vibes. Hope you enjoy!
Greatā€¦now Iā€™ll be wanting to play Cyberpunk 2077 all day! šŸ˜‚

Max continues to be a little terror around the house.
With a name like that, whoā€™d have guessed? šŸ¤”
13FFB992-6F30-4B0F-8BE1-874304360D99.gif

8 March, 2023

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" and today I'm diving into the Realms of the Obscure with a couple from producer/composer Mad Madam Em who performs under the moniker "Plike". Hope you enjoy.

Absolutely fantastic shave this morning! The temps, which had been in the 70's for the last few days, dropped to more seasonal levels so I reached for the jar of "Vanilla Safi" from @Dragonsbeard . Incredible lather whipped up with the WWBW "RosƩ Noir" ST badger for two passes (+ touch-up) with the "Fatboy". Also, the Wilkinson Sword blade is still going strong. Shave 15 in the books with it and no sign of tugging or edge loss. Finished with a splash of Clubman "Classic Vanilla" and several sprays of Cremo's "Spice and Black Vanilla" EdT.

Auditioned a guitarist for the country band last night. Young kid. 21 years old, but boy can he make a guitar sing! Walked in a broke out a vintage Ampeg "Telecaster" style guitar from the 70's which sounded incredible through Peavey "Classic 30" tube amp. The music wasn't spot on, but there was a good vibe in the room which gives me hope this could be the guy we're looking for. He has eclectic tastes in music like I do and had a good time toward the end of the night talking music and introducing each other to different bands artists. Hope he decides to come onboard.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Vanilla Safi" Shave Soap / WWBW "RosƩ Noir" ST Badger / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Clubman "Classic Vanilla" After Shave After Shave Lotion / Cremo "Spice and Black Vanilla" EdT

IMG-1663.jpg

Last edited:
Back