The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

I see Keith Richards is a Jeff Beck fan. How old is bassist Tal Wilkenfeld? She looks too young to tour! Thank you for featuring Jeff Beck. Haven't listened to him in years. Boy, has his music matured, and perhaps my ears have as well. On the second video, a gentle, subtle song, watching him sweat and seeing the sweat dripping off his guitar neck as he coaxes the sweetest sounds from his guitar was amazing. ☺️
Believe it or not, Tal is 36 years old. At the time of those vids she was 24 / 25.

23 February, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Talking Heads Thursday" and so, for your listening enjoyment, here is a triple play of some of their hits.

Fantastic shave this morning. Been a while since I last used this soap/splash combo and I had forgotten both what a nice scent and lather it has. The new Semogue SOC Super Badger blew my mind! One of the best brushes I've ever used. The tips were extremely soft right out of the box and no funky scent that I could detect. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the Fatboy and I finished with the matching splash and Creed's "Royal Mayfair". The frag complemented the soap and splash nicely, with an added boozy, spicy, juniper gin note added to the interplay of the woody. citrus, rose notes from the soap & splash.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Declaration Grooming "Yuzu | Rose | Patchouli" Shave Soap / Semogue SOC Super Badger / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Declaration Grooming "Yuzu | Rose | Patchouli" After Shave Splash / Creed "Royal Mayfair" EdP

IMG-1558.jpg

Well, all I can say is Once in a Lifetime, you get a shave that really shows that you’re Burning Down the House. This Must Be The Place for just rocking your shave!

Well I Found a Job that will Take Me to The River so I’m off, but I bid you a shave well done and have a fantastic day my brother!

24 February, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Frank Friday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time™)! "Frank" meaning Frank Zappa of course. So here are a couple of live vids from 1984 featuring "Be In My Video" and Dancing Fool / Whipping Post". Hope you enjoy!

Great end-of-the-workweek shave today! Temps have moderated and are closer to normal for this time of year so I went with something a little bolder with First Line Shave's "Illustrious Oud". Fantastic soap and scent! Homage to INITIO Perfumes "Oud for Greatness". Haven't tried the frag but the soap/splash/EdP smells wonderful! Excellent lather whipped up with the new Wild West Brushworks "Sweet Spot" badger for two passes (+ touch-up) with the EJ 3ONE6 and I finished wither the matching splash and EdP.

First Line Shave "Illustrious Oud" Shave Soap / WWBW "Sweet Spot" Badger / Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 / Gillette Platinum
Alum / First Line Shave's "Illustrious Oud" After Shave Splash / First Line Shave's "Illustrious Oud" EdP

IMG-1568.jpg

Last edited:
Love the artwork on the soap and splash. Here's a memorable offering from Mr Zappa:
sheik_1e7ea307-9e30-4026-bc41-b514128af215.jpg

I DJ'd on my ship's live radio station. AFRTS sent us most of this album, though I forget which songs it included. We had a decent range of Zappa's songs in our music library, which was extensive.

Little know fact, Bruce’s music was so good there was a group of 6 close “friends” on the ship that just couldn’t help dancing to it. They later became known as The Village People and their memories of Bruce inspired the hit “In the Navy”.
Actually, I was active duty when that was a hit. One idiot public affairs officer in San Diego wanted the Navy to use it as a recruiting and promotional tool. Someone must have set him straight, and that talk quickly died down.

27 February, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Featuring one of my all-time favorite guitarists / composers this morning, Plini Roessler-Holgate, also known mononymously as "Plini". Here he is live with his band performing "The Glass Bead Game". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Tried out another new soap/cream this morning, Modial's "Mandarino E Spezie" (Mandarin & Spices). This soap IMO is the perfect rendition of a true "croap". Similar in character to Cella's soft soaps, I was able to easily press it into a spare soap container for use and storage. Lightly scented but great-smelling with mandarin with peppery cinnamon being the primary notes. The lather was less dense than I prefer, but I chalk that up to being more my fault than the soap's. Some soaps, as I'm sure you have also found, take a bit of time to learn the proper water-to-soap ratios. Still, the lather was very slick and did provide an acceptable amount of cushion. Two passes with the Fatboy and I finished with a splash of Floid "Vigoroso" and a generous spray of Creed "Tabarome".

Modial "Mandarino E Spezie" Shave Cream / Semogue SOC "Caravela" Boar-Badger / 61 Gillette "Fatboy" / Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Floid "Mentolado Vigoroso" After Shave Splash / Creed "Tabarome" Millésime

IMG-1587.jpg

Sounds like a delightful soap! Great shave today Mark. Hope Monday treats ya well!

I need to check out that soap! Fantastic shave and may you have a fantastic start to your week!
Thank you, gentlemen! Hope you have a great day as well. @Scuttlesoap I think I have some small sample containers (like the ones used by Maggard). I'd be more than happy to send to a sample to try.

Back