The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

A Christmas-themed brush handle. You take the prize from @Scuttlesoap for matching gear!
giphy.gif

30 November, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's "Women of Rock Wednesday" again and today I'm featuring a couple more from The Bangles (think I had featured them before but not sure.. :unsure: ). Hope you enjoy!

Eggnog + Bay Rum.....

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first heard it. But after some online investigating and watching some video reviews, my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the soap / AS set. And you know what? As crazy as it sounds, it works! Kinda gourmand, but the bay rum keeps it from straying to far there. Brown Sugar, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Light Cinnamon, West Indian Bay, Tonka Bean, Benzoin Resin & Spiced Rum combine for a delicious beginning but dries down to a nice bay rum. I love it! So much so that I'm thinking of springing for the matching EdP! Two passes + touch-up and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Burberry "London for Men" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Space Nog" Shave Soap / WWBW "Jolly" Synth / Gillette Tech / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Space Nog" After Shave Splash / Burberry "London for Men" EdT

IMG-0939.jpg

Last edited:
1 December, 2022

Getting some music going this morning and today I'm featuring Rush's masterpiece, Moving Pictures. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! Finally got around to getting all my colder weather scents out of storage. Been looking forward to this soap / splash combo because it reminds me of Christmas! Superb lather for two passes + touch-up and I finished with the matching splash and spray of Terre d'Hermes EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Barrister and Mann "Nordost" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Amber Aerolite" Synth / Phoenix Shaving "Meta-4"
Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow / Alum / Barrister and Mann "Nordost" After Shave Splash / Terre d'Hermes EdT

IMG-0946.jpg

2 December, 2022

Rounding out the workweek with some Police. From 1981 here is Ghost In The Machine. It was years before I realized the digital image on the cover was their "pictures" (L to R - Andy Summers, Sting, Stewart Copeland). Hey, I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning. Cooper & French is rapidly becoming one of my favorite soap houses. Their base always provides a super slick, super cushioning lather. Today I went with "Santa's Workshop", a great addition to my ever-growing seasonal collection. Light florals, sweet vanilla and orange and a whiff of pipe tobacco along with what is to my nose, a leather note although it's not listed on the website as being there. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with the matching balm and a spray of YSL "La Nuit de L'homme" EdT. And no you're not hallucinating, that is indeed a badger brush! It was my b'day present to myself last year and I'm going to start using it more often. It's one of the softest badger knots I've ever used.

Hope you have a wonderful day. 🎅

Cooper & French "Santa's Workshop" Shave Soap / WWBW "Rosé Noir" ST Badger / 40's Gillette Aristocrat / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Cooper & French "Santa's Workshop" After Shave Balm / Yves Saint Laurent "La Nuit de L'homme" EdT

IMG-0953.jpg

Last edited:
5 December, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Moving slowly wthis morning so I need something to pick me up. So for today's Morning Music, we're going back to 2008 and Metallic's ninth studio album, Death Magnetic. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning. Went with Barrister and Mann's "Vespers". Great lather from the Omnibus base and the scent evokes images of bright lights and warm, festive drinks against a starry, snowy backdrop. Two passes + touch-up and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of John Varvatos for Men EdT.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Barrister and Mann "Vespers" Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 Noir SE Synth / PAA META-4 / Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
Alum / Barrister and Mann "Vespers" After Shave Splash / John Varvatos "John Varvatos for Men" EdT

IMG-0980.jpg

I’ve always wondered - Will from B&M has used Mousse de Saxe in a few of his soaps - but I have no idea what it smells like - seems like it is a deeper note base - based on looking up. What say you?

How’s your back been by the way my friend?

Have a great one!

I’ve always wondered - Will from B&M has used Mousse de Saxe in a few of his soaps - but I have no idea what it smells like - seems like it is a deeper note base - based on looking up. What say you?

How’s your back been by the way my friend?

Have a great one!
MdS to me smells leathery / earthy / (almost petrichor accord) with subtle vanilla / sweetish characteristic. It's a very interesting scent and one that took em a while to appreciate.

Back's doing okay. I seemed to have found a balance of prescription pain meds and OTC ibuprofen that let's me get through most days relatively pain free. This week's gonna be rough. We have a stalled front draped over us and the constant shifting pressure gradients will likely make things interesting.

Hope you have a great one too!

MdS to me smells leathery / earthy / (almost petrichor accord) with subtle vanilla / sweetish characteristic. It's a very interesting scent and one that took em a while to appreciate.

Back's doing okay. I seemed to have found a balance of prescription pain meds and OTC ibuprofen that let's me get through most days relatively pain free. This week's gonna be rough. We have a stalled front draped over us and the constant shifting pressure gradients will likely make things interesting.

Hope you have a great one too!
Here’s to you getting through the weather in at least relative pain free brother!

Back