The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

20 October, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Today I'm featuring one of the best bands / albums that came out of the 90's. Admittedly, I didn't like the 90's very much musically. I only half joke when I say that I listened to more Jazz in the 90's that at any other point in my life. But there were some bright spots in those early days of Grunge. This was one of them. Turning 30 this year, here is Alice in Chains - "Dirt". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! New soap / splash set from Phoenix Shaving arrived and had to try it. "Black Shroud" is an homage to "Woodhue" by Fabergé. Admittedly, I've never heard of it but the scent tree seemed right up my alley so I chanced a blind buy. Woody, powdery, spicy Oriental with some green notes in there as well. Don't know how close this is to the juice it's paying respects to, but it's right in my "Old Man" wheelhouse and I love it! Great, slick & cushioning lather for three passes with the '58 Super Speed and I finished with the matching splash and a spray (or three) of vintage Avon "Tai Winds".

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Black Shroud" Shave Soap / RazoRock "Big Bruce" Synth / 1958 Gillette Super Speed / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Black Shroud" After Shave Splash / Vintage Avon "Tai Winds" EdC

IMG-0449.jpg

Last edited:
21 October, 2022

Rocking it out this Friday with the debut album from Boston! Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. When I swapped out my soaps / splashes a couple of weeks ago (transition from summer scents to Autumn / Halloween), I was anxious to use this soap but held off until I used others. Used it this morning and it was wonderful! "Illustrious Oud" has become one of my favorite scents / soap & splash combos. Great lather and incredible scent! I have the FLS frag but I'd love to try "Oud for Greatness" which this scent is inspired by. Three passes for a DFS+ result and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food) and EdP.

Hope you have a great day. :)

First Line Shaving "Illustrious Oud" Shave Soap / DS Cosmetics Kensurfs Synth / 40's Gillette Aristocrat / Polsilver
Alum / First Line Shaving "Illustrious Oud" After Shave Splash / First Line Shaving "Illustrious Oud" EdP

IMG-0457.jpg

Trippy, bold cover for a debut album!
Such were the 70's, my friend! ✌️:cool:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

24 October, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

I have a little "Bourbon Blues" for your Monday morning (wish I had some bourbon right now 🥃). Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave this morning! First use of the Cooper and French "Old Goat" shave soap and it was excellent! Probably one of the best smelling and performing "Old Spice Type" soaps I've used. Incredibly thick and slick lather for three passes and I finished with a splash of Indian "Old Spice" after shave and a spray of P&G "Old Spice" cologne. 🐐

Cooper and French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Doppler" Synth / 1958 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Indian "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / Procter and Gamble "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-0506.jpg

24 October, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

I have a little "Bourbon Blues" for your Monday morning (wish I had some bourbon right now 🥃). Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave this morning! First use of the Cooper and French "Old Goat" shave soap and it was excellent! Probably one of the best smelling and performing "Old Spice Type" soaps I've used. Incredibly thick and slick lather for three passes and I finished with a splash of Indian "Old Spice" after shave and a spray of P&G "Old Spice" cologne. 🐐

Cooper and French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Doppler" Synth / 1958 Gillette Super Speed
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Indian "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / Procter and Gamble "Old Spice" EdC

View attachment 96398
Are you saying you’re old or that you are the Greatest of All Time? I vote for the latter! You rock my friend- have a fantastic day!

Although they came out a few years before I could appreciate it fully (I didn't truly start listening to them until the late 90s when my older cousin would pass along mixed tapes, much to my mother's dismay) Dirt from AiC and Siamese Dream from SP continue to be two of the most played albums year-in and year-out on Spotify. There's just something about those early years of grunge. Guarantee my kids will be like "why do you subject us to this music" once they're old enough to voice music opinions in the car!

I miss being able to source that Indian OS flask-style stuff. It was much closer to the Shulton-era juice I have in a couple of decanters. Don't think they've made it in a while, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places on eBay??

Although they came out a few years before I could appreciate it fully (I didn't truly start listening to them until the late 90s when my older cousin would pass along mixed tapes, much to my mother's dismay) Dirt from AiC and Siamese Dream from SP continue to be two of the most played albums year-in and year-out on Spotify. There's just something about those early years of grunge. Guarantee my kids will be like "why do you subject us to this music" once they're old enough to voice music opinions in the car!

I miss being able to source that Indian OS flask-style stuff. It was much closer to the Shulton-era juice I have in a couple of decanters. Don't think they've made it in a while, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places on eBay??
I haven't tried to source it in quite a while. I bought some of the original and Fresh Lime (supposedly from the same maker) that was in original style (though smaller) glass bottles and it was horrible! Almost no detectable scent whatsoever. Since then I've just used what I had and hadn't chanced any more buys of the stuff.

25 October, 2022

Getting some music going this morning and, with as much grief that I give 90's music in general, I thought I'd feature a couple that I did like from that decade. These two selections were enjoyable to me due to their time signature changes (The Toadies) and chord changes / progressions (New Radicals). And how can you NOT love seeing the mall in the second video? Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning. Went back to Southern Witchcrafts "Autumn Ash" soap. The scent was a little off-putting when I first smelled it because out of the tub, mostly what I got was smoke. Once lathered however, the other scent notes begin to appear. Three passes with the 1970 Black Beauty for a DFS result. I got a little too aggressive on my left cheek and left a little razor rash next to my mouth. I'll dial the level back a little (from 8 to maybe 5/6 for the next session). Finished with a splash of Pinaud Reserve "Whiskey Woods" after shave splash (+ skin food) and a spray of Stetson EdC.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Southern Witchcrafts "Autumn Ash" Shave Soap / WWBW "Candy Corn" Synth / 1970 Gillette Black Beauty / Wizamet
Alum / Pinaud Reserve "Whiskey Woods" After Shave Splash / Coty "Stetson Original" EdC

IMG-0518.jpg

Back