The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

The weather may be a sign of ”Stranger Things”……..

All I know is that Penn State (who is 2-0) is finally ranked but under Texas (who lost and was not ranked last year), Wake Forest (I didn’t know they had a football team), Baylor (does the Big 12 even have 12 teams?), Utah (must be a safety school), Florida (state known for oranges but not football), and Ole Miss (doesn’t their schedule include the Little Sisters of the Blind?).

Oh yeah - and Alabama out ranks us and they almost got beat by an unranked Texas team - Life isn’t fair.😂

Rankings don't really mean anything at this point other than helping inter-team fan stimulation / interaction. 😄

But yeah, Bama didn't even look like a Top 10 team last weekend.

Rankings don't really mean anything at this point other than helping inter-team fan stimulation / interaction. 😄

But yeah, Bama didn't even look like a Top 10 team last weekend.
How will I determine my self worth if there are not rankings - that is just crazy talk brother! 😂

14 September, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Another Fall-like morning. Upper 50's as I left the house but today's the last one until the next cold front comes through. Humidity returns with temps in the high 80's.

It's "Women of Rock" Wednesday! Something new I'm starting and for the inaugural episode I'm going with rocker Pat Benatar. Hope you enjoy!

Another great shave this morning. Went back to some old school Colgate cup soap. Remarkably slick and cushioning lather. No scent left but lather quality more than makes up for it. Three passes with the Tech for a DFS++ result and I finished with a splash of Imperial Leather № 1 Aftershave Lotion (+ skin food) and a spray of Mont Blanc "Presence" EdT.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Vintage Colgate Cup Soap / YAQI "Surf" Synth / Gillette Fat Handle Tech / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Imperial Leather № 1 Aftershave Lotion / Mont Blanc "Presence" EdT

IMG-0116.jpg

15 September, 2022

For today's music selection we're journeying into the Realms of the Offbeat with guitar phenom Ron Jarzombek and his band Spastic Ink. Here are a couple from their 2004 album Ink Compatible. Hope you enjoy!

Wonderful shave this morning. Went back to ETHOS Grooming Essentials and their "Blood Orange" soap and splash from the Italia Collection. Great all around! Scent, lather, slip and cushion. Three passes with the Tech and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Shave Soap / WWBW "Majesty" Synth / Gillette Fat Handle Tech / Gillette Platinum
Alum / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Blood Orange" Skin Food Splash / Chanel "Allure Homme Sport" EdC

IMG-0128.jpg

This shave has been approved by the United Citrus Lovers Association. Well done.

Also - how can Anyone not love a song that is called Words for Nerds, has a Dickensian child asking about a word processor to do page breaks, and discusses the importance of backing up both hard drives? Doubly Approved!

1663250647252.gif

16 September, 2022

It's Fusion Friday so for today's music I'm featuring a couple from the band Weather Report. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic end-of-the-workweek shave. Great shave from the new Aristocrat! It coupled with the stellar lather from the "Shave Chaser" soap resulted in a DFS++ result. Finished with a splash of "Skin Bracer" and a spray of PAA's "Shave Chaser" EdP.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Shave Chaser" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Prismatic" Synth / Gillette Aristocrat / Wizamet
Alum / Mennen "Skin Bracer" After Shave Splash / Phoenix Shaving "Shave Chaser" EdP

IMG-0142.jpg

19 September, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Getting things rolling this morning with a little Lite Jazz to ease back into Monday. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! Skipped yesterday (No Shave Sunday) so today's shave was extra nice! Went back to a soap I haven't used in quite a while. RazoRock's "Black Bay" is a great performing and smelling soap. It's unique in that it derives its scent primarily from bay laurel and less from added spices, producing a soap that IMO has a more natural vibe. It's peppery and slightly sweet with spicy notes and a noticeably more "green" vibe overall. Three passes and I finished with a splash of Ogallala "Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar" after shave splash (+ skin food) and a spray of Barberry Coast "Bay Rum" EdP. Excellent start to the week!

Hope you have a great day. :)

RazoRock "Black Bay" Shave Soap / Moon Soaps "Green Zebra" Synth / 40's Gillette Aristocrat / Wizamet
Alum / Ogallala "Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar" After Shave Splash / Barberry Coast "Bay Rum" EdP

IMG-0171.jpg

Back