The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

25 August, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Surf's up! Time to hit the waves and hang ten with a couple from The Beach Boys. Hope you enjoy! ☀️🏖️

Great shave this morning! Swapped the Treet blade out for a Gillette Platinum and I got a much better shave today. Went back to "Good Vibrations" from Phoenix Shaving this morning. Wonderfully fragrant and slick lather! Three passes for a DFS+ result and I finished with the matching after shave splash (+ skin food), and EdP.

🌊🏄‍♂️

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Good Vibrations" Shave Soap / ShoreShave Classic Custom Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Good Vibrations" After Shave Splash / Phoenix Shaving "Good Vibrations" EdP

IMG-9943.jpg

26 August, 2022

It's finally Friday and so I'm finishing up the week with some musical fireworks courtesy of drummer extraordinaire, Simon Phillips. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! I had a different one lined up and ready to go, but changed at the last minute to Stirling's "Weekend in Malibu". Great summery scent and phenomenal lather! Three passes and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food) and a spray of Chanel Platinum Égoïste (hold-over from the previously planned shave). Excellent!

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Weekend in Malibu" Shave Soap / WWBW "Sun Dog" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Weekend in Malibu" After Shave Splash / Chanel Platinum Égoïste EdT

IMG-9948.jpg

29 August, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

We're Classic Rockin' it here today with Billboard's Hot 100 Songs of 1970. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. I observed "No Shave Sunday" yesterday so today's shave was extra nice!! Wanted an old school shave so I went with a Clubman theme. Great lather and scent from Fine's "Clubhouse" shave soap. Three passes and I finished with a splash of OG Pinaud Clubman and a spray of Dana "Canoe" EdC.

Fine Accoutrements "Clubhouse" Shave Soap / WWBW 'Antique" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Pinaud "Clubman" After Shave Lotion (+ Skin Food) / Dana "Canoe" EdC

IMG-9961.jpg

Ahhh Billboard…not quite as prolific as they used to be, but I still appreciate their charts!

Have a great Monday Mark!

30 August, 2022

Past and present collide with today's music selection. I'm dipping back in the realm of New Retro Wave with the 2017 album from the band, The Midnight. Here they are with Nocturnal. Hope you enjoy.

Another situation this morning where I had one shave already planned but changed after the arrival of some new shave goods yesterday. Been on a bit of a Bay Rum kick recently and I wanted to revisit my T.W.S. roots with a couple of products I used back when I first started this journey. I remembered the Col. Conk soap not lathering well in the day but I was very surprised with the incredibly slick and cushioning lather I got from it. However, it did leave my face feeling a bit dry and tight. Next time I'll use some of the ETHOS First Lather. Three passes followed by a splash of Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" after shave lotion (+ skin food). The VIBR splash didn't burn nearly as bad as I remember it did. Finished with a spray of Hemingway Accoutrements "Nature Isle" EdP. Excellent!

Col. Conk "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / YAQI "Surf" 22mm Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" After Shave Lotion / Hemingway Accoutrements "Nature Isle" EdP

IMG-9978.jpg

Last edited:
I used Col Conk's Bay Rum and also the Lime to prove to my son you didn't need expensive soaps to get good shaves. I quickly abandoned them for the wealth of flavors offered by Mama Bear. I eventually gravitated to tallows. I can still smell Conk's Bay Rum, very strong and distinctive.

I used Col Conk's Bay Rum and also the Lime to prove to my son you didn't need expensive soaps to get good shaves. I quickly abandoned them for the wealth of flavors offered by Mama Bear. I eventually gravitated to tallows. I can still smell Conk's Bay Rum, very strong and distinctive.
I had the matching splash years ago. I need to get another bottle. Love the scent!

l-2322_800x.jpg

31 August, 2022

Going back to 1990 for today's music with one of the greatest rock albums of all time IMO. Here is Queensrÿche and the platinum-selling album Empire. Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful end-of-the-month shave today. Went back to Saponificio Varesino and their "Cubebe" soap and after shave. Fantastic citrus, spicy woods scent and the lather rivals the best tallow soaps out there. Three passes and I finished with the matching after shave lotion and a spray of "Rive Gauche".

Saponificio Varesino "Cubebe" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Cubebe" After Shave Lotion / Yves Saint Laurent "Rive Gauche" EdT

IMG-9988.jpg

1 September, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Welcome to September!

Jeez, it'll be Hallowe'en before you know it! But before that, it's college football season! Looking forward to some great games. SEC play begins tonight. May watch the Tennessee / Ball State game. SWAC action on tonight as well with Alabama A&M vs. the University of Alabama Birmingham Blazers. 🏈

Going back to 1986 for today's music selection with Peter Gabriel and his 5X platinum-selling album, SO. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! New soap arrived yesterday so I had to use it this morning. Great, spicy bay rum scent and wonderful lather. Three passes and I finished with a splash of Ogallala "Bay Rum, Limes, & Peppercorns" splash (+ skin food) and a spray of Tommy Bahama "St. Barts" EdT.

Talent Soap Factory "Cayman Express" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Star Wisp" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Ogallala "Bay Rum, Limes, & Peppercorns" After Shave Splash / Tommy Bahama "St. Barts" EdC

IMG-9998.jpg

Last edited:
Back