The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

19 August, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

In a Led Zeppelin mood this morning so here are a few tracks to get your Friday kicked off.

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to Phoenix Shaving's "Hotel Cecil" with which to end the workweek. Patterned after the old Burma Shave, it has a great old school scent. I guess you'd call it an Aromatic Fougère. Very nice, albeit light scent. Great lather! Three passes and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food) and a spray of Calvin Klein "Eternity" For Men EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Hotel Cecil" Shave Soap / RajonCajon "Burgundy Velvet" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Hotel Cecil" After Shave Splash / Calvin Klein "Eternity For Men" EdT

View attachment 91734
Love that a soap is named after that "interesting" place. Great artwork, too. Have a great Friday, Mark! :)

22 August, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Some Hall & Oates for you this morning. Hope you enjoy!

Doctor appointment first thing this morning. He had changed my blood pressure med and he wanted me to come back in for a follow up. All good!

Yesterday wad "No Shave Sunday" to today's shave was extra nice!! Went back to Phoenix Shaving's "CaD" for some Barbasol / Rive Gauche goodness! Three passes and I finished up with the matching splash and EdP.

Phoenix Shaving "CaD" Shave Soap / WWBW "Gold Coast" Synth / EJ 3ONESIX + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "CaD" After Shave Splash / Phoenix Shaving "CaD" EdP

IMG-9907.jpg

23 August, 2022

I went with an Old School "English Leather" shave this morning and what goes better with English Leather than a good dose of British Steel!!! Here are metal masters, Judas Priest!

Wonderful shave this morning! The Stirling soap isn't an exact match to my nose but does succeed in capturing the essence of English Leather. I really don't get much of the citrus off the soap but there's a lot of wood and leather going on. Superb lather! Three passes and I finished with English Leather after shave splash (+ skin food) and a spray of the same cologne.

Stirling Soap Co. "British Leather" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Atomic Rocket" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Dana "English Leather" After Shave Splash / Dana "English Leather" EdC

IMG-9914.jpg

24 August, 2022

I'm taking the "WABAC Machine" (those of a certain age should get that ;) ) all the way to 1976 with the release of the sixth studio album from the band Return to Forever, the fusion group comprised of Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White. Here is the album, Romantic Warrior.. Hope you enjoy!

Tried a new blade this morning. It was a Treet Silver and it really wasn't much of a treat. Didn't seem very sharp and though I got a serviceable shave with it, I had to touch up quite a few spots. Live and learn.. Tomorrow I'll go back to what I normally use. The rest of the shave was fantastic! Got in a puck of the ETHOS "Greenfresh" Body Shave Soap and used it this morning. Great lather and scent! Normally I keep the box and use it for SOTD photos, but I accidentally left it where Max could reach it and it was soon in 100 pieces scattered all over the floor. :rolleyes: And so, all you'll be seeing today is the lovely green plastic tub the soap's stored in. Three + passes for a DFS result and I finished with a splash of Brut Splash On (+ skin food) and a spray of Brut Special Reserve EdC.

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Greenfresh" Body Shave Soap / Moon Soaps "Green Zebra" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska
Treet Silver / Alum / Brut "Classic" Splash On (+ Skin Food) / Brut Special Reserve EdC

IMG-9922.jpg

I'm taking the "WABAC Machine" (those of a certain age should get that ;) ) all the way to 1976 with the release of the sixth studio album from the band Return to Forever, the fusion group comprised of Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White.
OK, OK, I am of that certain age. To my recollection, this band occupied the upper stratosphere of the FM broadcasters' playlist. I listened to an FM rock station out of Boston shortly before this album's release, and the station would play fusion and extended prog rock cuts late at night. I could never quite figure out if it was jazz or rock, which I guess means I was hearing it correctly, so to speak. Was Herbie Hancock ever in this band? I recall he did collaborate with some, or perhaps all, of these musicians at some point.

OK, OK, I am of that certain age. To my recollection, this band occupied the upper stratosphere of the FM broadcasters' playlist. I listened to an FM rock station out of Boston shortly before this album's release, and the station would play fusion and extended prog rock cuts late at night. I could never quite figure out if it was jazz or rock, which I guess means I was hearing it correctly, so to speak. Was Herbie Hancock ever in this band? I recall he did collaborate with some, or perhaps all, of these musicians at some point.
I don't recall Herbie ever being in the band. As always, I could be wrong...

To clarify, I meant that those of a certain age may get the "WABAC Machine" reference. ;)

Casey Kasem, on America's Top 40, if memory serves. He and Dick Clark were icons back then. Oh, and Howling Wolf too. Radio was king then.

Back