The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

From my research I found that Sphinx Beard and Alexandria Fragrances are owned by the same entity (who also owns Dua from what I understand)
Really?! It must be on the DL. He’s in my fragrance group and he only ever plugs Dua.

Really?! It must be on the DL. He’s in my fragrance group and he only ever plugs Dua.
I do find it weird that they don’t announce it - considering you could say each has their own primary audience. I started looking around Reddit and YouTube after I did the AS purchase. I realized that both were being shipped from the same area - and both had soaps made by A&E……basically the relationship between the two is that the owners of the two are brothers.

It’s the Dua part that is weird - because like you said - no one in any of the companies are announcing the relationship - but basically from what I‘ve ascertained - the owner of Alexandria was a minority owner of Dua.

Unfortunately had to scrub from Reddit which is never fun - because I was wondering the relationship of A&E and the two companies above - and then Dua came up - and one of the brothers was claimed to be a minority owner of Dua. Part of the issue in finding out just what the full extent of all the relationships is that (1) Reddit is a war zone and not really a reliable source to stand on its own, (2) some of the hostility was definitely only because people don’t like dupe houses, and (3) Neither Peter from A&E or Hany Hafez from Alexandria have the best reputation / business practices- and the poor perception is in part earned.

But I can say I spent quite a bit of time on it and went link to link to link to link - and the eventual sources seemed somewhat reliable along with tethering the relationship between Dua, Sphinx, and Alexandria with A&E. I’m sure there is probably a government website that I could look that lists business filings - but TBH - I already spent too much time looking it up and my mind feels so dirty by going on Reddit 😂

7 July 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some tunes rolling for your Thursday. Today we're going back to 1985 with the Songs From The Big Chair, the chart-topping second album from Tears for Fears. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Another new soap day with the delivery of "Inconceivable" from @CBLSoap.com. Fantastic lather and scent with delicious citrus notes. Three passes and, with Vaizzini being Sicilian, I had to go with Acqua di Parma Colonia splash and EdC to finish. Excellent! 🍋🍊

Hope you have a great day. :)

CBL Soaps "Inconceivable" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Doppler" Synth / Karve CBSS Razor
KAI SS / Alum / Acqua di Parma Colonia After Shave Splash / Acqua di Parma Colonia EdC

IMG-9579.jpg

7 July 2022

Getting some tunes rolling for your Thursday. Today we're going back to 1985 with the Songs From The Big Chair, the chart-topping second album from Tears for Fears. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Another new soap day with the delivery of "Inconceivable" from @CBLSoap.com. Fantastic lather and scent with delicious citrus notes. Three passes and, with Vaizzini being Sicilian, I had to go with Acqua di Parma Colonia splash and EdC to finish. Excellent! 🍋🍊

CBL Soaps "Inconceivable" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Doppler" Synth / Karve CBSS Razor
KAI SS / Alum / Acqua di Parma Colonia After Shave Splash / Acqua di Parma Colonia EdC

View attachment 88006
Props on the shave! Again - it’s like we’re sharing a brain 😂

That Album has great memories for me

8 July, 2022

David Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarists so for today's Morning Music segment I'm featuring his 2015 album, Rattle That Lock. Hope you enjoy!

Wonderful shave today! Went back to Phoenix Shaving's "Immortal Peach". Such a great summer soap. Three passes and I finished with the matching splash (plus skin food). Temps today are forecasted to be over 100° with heat indices 110° ~ 115° so a lighter frag is mandated. Went with Versace "Eau Fraiche" EdT. 🍑

Phoenix Shaving "Immortal Peach" Shave Soap / TG Shave Co. Synth / Karve CB SS Razor / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Immortal Peach" After Shave Splash / Versace Man "Eau Fraiche" EdT

IMG-9583.jpg

9 July, 2022

Hello Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Up since about 3:30 AM so I feel like I'm walking around in a daze. :sleep:

Wanted an old school scented shave today so I went back to Phoenix Shaving's "Sun Down". Three passes and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food). Excellent!

Phoenix Shaving "Sun Down" Shave Soap / Sorrentino Brushworks "Roll Tide" Synth / Karve CB SS Razor
Wizamet Super Iridium / Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Sun Down" After Shave Splash

IMG-9590.jpg

11 July, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Straight to the tunes for you. Today I'm featuring the instrumental music of the band Bend The Sky. This is one of my favorite albums, 2018's Expanse. Hope you enjoy!

Wonderful shave this morning! Another new soap day, this time Phoenix Shaving's "Old Salty". As the name implies, this is an oceanic scent and does a pretty good job at it. Salty sea spray notes, a lighter "driftwood" note and in the background, oakmoss and what seems like a very light floral note to my nose. All in all, it's a great summer scent. Excellent lather for three passes and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food) and a spray of Polo "Deep Blue" EdP. 🌊🏖️

Phoenix Shaving "Old Salty" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Phantom Aerolite" Synth / Karve CB SS Razor
Wizamet Super Iridium / Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Old Salty" After Shave Splash / Polo "Deep Blue" EdP

IMG-9604.jpg

Have a great day Mark!

Bend in the Sky is really cool! Listening to their first track - it is orchestral - almost move soundtrackish……but then the other tracks kinda bring in rock and roll. Really something different!

Have a great day Mark!

Bend in the Sky is really cool! Listening to their first track - it is orchestral - almost move soundtrackish……but then the other tracks kinda bring in rock and roll. Really something different!
Glad you like it! Check out another artist who goes by Plini. Another great musician.

Back