The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

I’ve found that a number of Chris’ more recent scentings to be fairly light, at first, but as I use them more either my nose adjusts to pick up the scent better or the scent seems to be further revealed. Probably not ideal conditions for a sample or folks who like strong scents from the get-go.

I also have one of Ben Franklin full of Tai Winds splash also
I read an exhaustive Franklin biography years ago. He was quite an interesting fellow, and quite the rogue with women. He had girlfriends on two continents. His son left no heirs, so there are no Franklin's with a direct link alive today.

I read an exhaustive Franklin biography years ago. He was quite an interesting fellow, and quite the rogue with women. He had girlfriends on two continents. His son left no heirs, so there are no Franklin's with a direct link alive today.
Yeah he was a colorful character without a doubt. I read a biography on him also. Can't remember the name of it but it was a very interesting and insightful read.

7 February, 2020

My bottle of Avon "Brisk Spice" landed yesterday. Used it this morning and liked it very much! Definitely an Old Spice vibe to it. Couldn't get it in the pic though. These oddly-shaped bottles are difficult to arrange.

IMG-2883.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Soap - Charcoal & Lime
Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice" Soap
Stirling Soap Co. High Mountain White Badger Brush
1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum Blade
Alum
Phoenix Shaving's Unscented Star Jelly
Vintage Avon "Brisk Spice" Splash

Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice" EdT

I just love the classic look of your brush, Mark. It seems to be a favorite of yours.
Thanks! Yeah it's one of the best I've used, IMO ranking right up there with the Kent and Shavemac brushes I've used. In fact I'd put it ahead of the Kent H8 I have based on comfort level. The Kent is a "Best Badger" brush. The Stirling one is very soft.

Thanks! Yeah it's one of the best I've used, IMO ranking right up there with the Kent and Shavemac brushes I've used. In fact I'd put it ahead of the Kent H8 I have based on comfort level. The Kent is a "Best Badger" brush. The Stirling one is very soft.
Great to know!

8 February, 2020

GREAT shave today!!! Really impressed with the Yaqi syntetic brush. Soft with backbone but with enough break for effective face lathering. Another show tonight. New venue so I'm really excited! Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2884.jpg

Proraso Preshave Cream
Phoenix Shaving's "AGHARTA" Shave Soap
Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum
Alum

Phoenix Shaving's "AGHARTA" Splash

Unnnnnnnnnnnn.... 😵🥴

Late night. Great show though. Really nice venue with a nice stage set up. Played until midnight and didn’t get home until close to 2am. Takes me a while to “come down” after a show so I didn’t get to bed until after 3 this morning. So I’m dragging today.

Preshave: RazoRock Preshave soap - Charcoal & Lime
Soap: Phoenix Shaving’s “High Jump 47”
Brush: Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: 1964 Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Super Platinum
Post shave: Alum
Aftershave: Phoenix Shaving’s “High Jump 47”

10 February, 2020

Good morning all! If some of you have the time to spare, can you come to my house and lend a hand please? My neighbors and I have started building an ark.. We have the gopher wood and pitch but the animals coming in two-by two are starting to get out of hand.. Why can't they all be like the sloths.. Those guys are always super chill...

giphy.gif

Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2890.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Soap - Charcoal & Lime
Phoenix Shaving's "Sacré Bleu" Shave Soap
Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
1966 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Alum

Williams Aqua Velva Splash

Yesterday was the anniversary of the day I almost died. I was out on a call late in the day and was coming back to my office when a truck travelling in the opposite direction swerved over into my lane and hit me head-on (he was drunk and on drugs at the time). Spent over a month in the hospital. Had four surgeries then spent a month inpatient at a physical therapy / rehabilitation center. Was in a wheel chair for a while then graduated to a modified walker, then a cane and after almost a year was able to walk again unassisted.

wreck1.jpgwreck2.JPGwreck3.jpgwreck4.jpg

Back