The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

14 February, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Gotta say the more I use the Yaqi synthetic brush, the more I like it! What I've found though is that it really shines with bowl lathering. Perhaps that's why no synths have ever really worked for me before. Anyone else find this to be true? New piece of gear for today's shave. I picked up one of Phoenix Shaving's travel scuttles and used it for the first time this morning. As I've said, I shave in the shower so not a great place to have / use breakable items. Worked like a champ! Produced a great lather which stayed warm throughout the entire three-pass shave. It's on the small side so bigger brushed will have a harder time than smaller ones (had a lot of spill-over with the 28mm Yaqi) . Still I feel it's a worthwhile investment for travel purposes or if, like me, you're a shower shaver.

Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2909.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal & Lime
RazoRock "xXx" Shave Soap
Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
Phoenix Shaving's Travel Scuttle
1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Alum
Phoenix Shaving's Unscented Star Jelly

RazoRock "xXx" After Shave Splash

Last edited:
Nice post Mark! I have not used the Yaqi for face lathering, but I have used a different synthetic and it did not do well compared to a badger. However, both synthetics, especially the Yaqi, have been wonderful bowl latherers!

Nice post Mark! I have not used the Yaqi for face lathering, but I have used a different synthetic and it did not do well compared to a badger. However, both synthetics, especially the Yaqi, have been wonderful bowl latherers!
Believe it or not, I've never bowl/scuttle lathered. Actually, @Spider will believe it ;) . I'm a creature of habit, and have gotten excellent shaves without, so I never felt the need. Plus, I have minimal space with which to work. That Stirling travel bowl is pretty cool looking, though. (y)

All caught up, Mark! Nice shaves. I've always wanted to try a couple of the PAA products you've used recently, but reasons.

That's one gnarly wreck, glad you made it out.

All caught up, Mark! Nice shaves. I've always wanted to try a couple of the PAA products you've used recently, but reasons.

That's one gnarly wreck, glad you made it out.
If I may ask, what are these “reasons” I’ve heard about PAA? PM if you like. I’d really like to know.

If I may ask, what are these “reasons” I’ve heard about PAA? PM if you like. I’d really like to know.
Some of it is past drama, mostly that what's his name posed as a veteran in a veteran's shave group to sell stuff. I think that's what most people are upset about. That was a couple of years before my time. The rest of the stuff can be googled and found on Reddit. That being said, I have a couple of their products that are great.

And I guess the rest is there's better stuff out there in my opinion, I'm trying to cut back on spending, and just plain old reasons. (Reasons is actually my default explanation for things, whether I have a reason or not, it's one of the things I say frequently.)

15 February, 2020

Another great shave today! Once again I'm impressed with the quality of lather using a synth brush with the scuttle. Using this technique I could see myself "eighty-sixing" badger brushes altogether!

Another show with the country band tonight at the local Fraternal Order of Eagles aerie. Always a great place to play. Nice, big stage!! Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2910.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal & Lime
Phoenix Shaving's "AGHARTA" Shave Soap
Phoenix Shaving's Travel Scuttle
Techichi 26mm Tech Hive Synthetic Brush
1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless Blade
Alum
Phoenix Shaving's "AGHARTA" Splash

Phoenix Shaving's "AGHARTA" EdP

Last edited:
17 February, 2020

Good morning all! I apologize for my absence yesterday. I was still recovering from the show Saturday night. JEEZ! That was the most fun I've had playing music in a long time! The band sounded great! We were all clicking and though there were a few mistakes (there will always be mistakes). Typically as the night goes on, the crowd will grow smaller. Not the case Saturday. There's a private bar in the Lodge as well and we were told by the President that when we began playing, the bar practically emptied out! It was a blast. I'll post up some video in a bit.

On a shaving note, my badger brushes are beginning to be afraid! The quality of lather I'm getting from the synthetic brushes when paired with a bowl / scuttle is fantastic!

IMG-2923.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Soap - Charcoal & Lime
CBL Tonsorial "Bergamot & Lemon" Shave Soap
Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic Brush
1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum Blade
Alum
Phoenix Shaving's Unscented Star Jelly

Vintage Avon "Everest" After Shave

Great to hear about the show! Nothing like loving the moment. And nice pic rocker man.

That's awesome about your band's show! Also I am finding similar results with my synthetics. I never thought I would enjoy them this much.

Back