The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

2 June, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Today's Morning Music segment I'm featuring a few personal hits from the 90's. I have a love/hate relationship with 90's music. A lot of great music came out that decade along with a LOT of absolute crap. I joke that I listened to more Jazz in the 90's than at any other time in my life. But bands like Dream Theater and Fates Warning along with King Crimson kept me from giving up on the decade entirely. So here are a trio of songs from each band mentioned. Just for fun post up some of you favorite 90's songs. Curious to hear them!

New soap day! Picked up First Line Shave's "90's Rewind Vol. 1" which is based on Calvin Klein's "CK One". This was the first time I got introduced to the concept of "unisex" frags and to be honest, was a little dubious at first. But I liked the scent a eventually picked up a bottle. The soap smells pretty dang close too! Medium light scent strength out of the tub but gets stronger when lathered. The lather is excellent! Thick and yogurt-like with great slip and cushion. Three passes and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food) and a spray of CK One. Excellent!

Hope you have a wonderful day. :cool:

First Line Shave "90's Rewind Vol. 1" Shave Soap / Rajon Cajon "Burgundy Velvet" Synth / Rockwell 6S (plate 4)
Wizamet / Alum / First Line Shave "90's Rewind Vol. 1" After Shave Splash / Calvin Klein "CK One" EdT

IMG-9354.jpg

Great shave! Classic scent of the 90’s!

I’d do have fond memories of the 90’s music(it wasn’t until the ought’s that I got jaded). Here’s what I remember G-N-R, from here on out known as the greatest band in rock-in-roll history (YMMV😂), came into their own with the Use Your Illusion Tour…….I had to power through the Grunge (though now I dig some of their music that I didn’t appreciate then)……..but Grunge then gave way to the Foo Fighters, here on out known as the greatest rock-n-roll band version 2………but we also had Ska /Ska Light (The Mighty, Mighty Bostones, No Doubt), Nine Inch Nails, Counting Crows, Jane’s Addiction.

And the best part of the 90’s music - we stopped wearing parachute pants, and our hair recovered from our Flock of Seagulls period😂

Great shave! Classic scent of the 90’s!

I’d do have fond memories of the 90’s music(it wasn’t until the ought’s that I got jaded). Here’s what I remember G-N-R, from here on out known as the greatest band in rock-in-roll history (YMMV😂), came into their own with the Use Your Illusion Tour…….I had to power through the Grunge (though now I dig some of their music that I didn’t appreciate then)……..but Grunge then gave way to the Foo Fighters, here on out known as the greatest rock-n-roll band version 2………but we also had Ska /Ska Light (The Mighty, Mighty Bostones, No Doubt), Nine Inch Nails, Counting Crows, Jane’s Addiction.

And the best part of the 90’s music - we stopped wearing parachute pants, and our hair recovered from our Flock of Seagulls period😂
99C8FD8B-8825-46D3-A0D2-A191FC310805.gif

You know it my man! I ran so far away from those days!
giphy.gif

3 June, 2022

It's finally Friday so for today's music I'm taking a trip back to my Navy days and shore leave in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. Beautiful place and the night life was CRAZY!! Lots of electronic dance music and when I found this album at Barnes & Noble in the early 2000's, I was immediately transported back there. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave today! Beachy, night club vibe was the theme I guess. LOL! Stirling's "Boat Drinks" is a sweet, boozy concoction (wish the alcohol note was stronger) perfect for a warm beach at dusk. Or a Friday at the office. Great lather! Slick and cushioning with no lack of scent strength with this one! Three passes for a DFS+ result. Minimal feedback from the alum block and I finished with a splash of Alexandria Fragrances "Citron Del Mar" after shave splash (more of an after shave milk or tonic then an alcohol splash) and a spray of Sean John "Unforgivable". Both the splash and EdT are dupes of Creed's Millesime Imperial.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Boat Drinks" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Flamingo" Synth / Phoenix Shaving META-4 / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Alexandria Fragrances "Citron Del Mar" After Shave Splash / Sean John "Unforgivable" EdT

IMG-9361.jpg

Fantastic shave my friend - I have both the soap and the AS you used and think their phenomenal……I have not tried the EdT but everything I’ve heard it is a great homage to the Creed scent. From what I‘ve seen in Fragrantica - citrus and boozy notes to boot!

back to my Navy days and shore leave in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. Beautiful place and the night life was CRAZY!! Lots of electronic dance music
Who else is picturing Mark with his dress whites unbuttoned to his belt and a bunch of gold chains bouncing around to the beat? Interesting first song there Mark ;)

6 June, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Feeling better from the side effects of my latest COVID booster but still a little rough on this Monday so let's ease into it with more coffee and some relaxing jazz. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave today! Skipped yesterday so today's was extra nice. Went back to the beach again today. Really liking this combo of Phoenix Shaving's "The Beach" soap paired with the Clubman "Tequila Tease" splash. Great scent and lather from the soap and the splash has a nice boozy, citrus and light floral fragrance. Finished with a spray of Alexandria Fragrances "Hawaii Volcano" EdP. :cool:🍋🍍🥥🍹🌴

Phoenix Shaving "The Beach" Shave Soap / YAQI "Atlantis" Synth / Phoenix Shaving META-4 / Gillette Platinum / Alum
Clubman - Pinaud Reserve "Tequila Tease" After Shave Splash / Alexandria Fragrances "Hawaii Volcano" EdP

IMG-9376.jpg

7 June, 2022

In a Rush mood this morning so today I'm going way back to 1980 and to what has always been my favorite Rush album, Permanent Waves. This was a transitory time for the band, moving away from the epic, extended pieces of the 70's like "2112", "Cygnus X-1" and especially "Hemispheres". The Hemispheres album (and especially the 18 minute namesake song), according to the band, broke the camel's back in terms of extended songs and the band were so exhausted after recording it they reportedly had to take a six week vacation to recover. Permanent Waves was a new direction for the band. Songs were shorter in length (although album-ender "Natural Science" clocked in at over nine minutes) with a focus toward more accessible, radio friendly pieces. "The Spirit of Radio" and "Free Will" still gets a lot of play on Classic Rock / AOR stations today. So here are a couple of songs from the album. Hope you enjoy!

Another fantastic shave this morning. Had a different one lined up, more "summery" and tropical but changed it this morning for a cooler, greener experience. Phoenix Shaving's "Twee" soap gave a very aromatic, slick and cushioning lather. Three passes and I finished with a splash of Cool Water after shave (+ skin food) and a spray of the EdT. Excellent!

Phoenix Shaving "Twee" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "The Peregrino" Synth / Phoenix Shaving META-4
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Davidoff "Cool Water" After Shave Splash / Davidoff "Cool Water" EdT

IMG-9384.jpg

Last edited:
Back