The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Great beach shave leading into the long week! It's been a very cold spring here, but tomorrow it's supposed to hit above 80 and will be the warmest day of the year so far. Looking forward to that, will have to break out some summer scents!

Went well. I’ve decided to take the rest of the week off and take care of some things around the house etc.

At another doctor appt at the moment. Will be making a SOTD post later.

Thanks for checking! :)
Hope you feel better Mark! It’s good your taking some time off.

25 April, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Let's get your Monday going with some music. This popped up on my YouTube homepage this morning so I thought I'd share it. It was called the "Manhattan Project" and featured Stanley Clarke on Bass, Michel Petrucciani (R.I.P.) on Piano Wayne Shorter on Saxophone & Lenny White on Drums. GOOD STUFF!!! 🤩

Back at the office today. Great shave to get the new workweek started. Went with Maggard's "London Barbershop" soap. Great lather w/ medium scent strength. Unfortunately the decided to use "that barbershop scent". It's not a bad scent but it's so very similar to other scents used in "barbershop" soaps out there. It's as if there's a tank yard out there somewhere filled with a generic "barbershop" fragrance blend that IMO too many artisans go for instead of coming up with something original.

360_F_296721330_6yi6ujd1TaP38FA7esEl1aLiL6PJwdet.jpg

Again, it's not "bad" just generic and unoriginal IMO. Three passes for DFS+ result and I finished with a splash of 4711 Aftershave and a spray of Acqua Di Gio EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Maggard Razors "London Barbershop" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Star Wisp" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor
Feather / Alum / Muelhen's "4711" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Armani "Acqua Di Gio" EdT

IMG-9033.jpg

26 April, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

giphy.gif

So for today's Morning Music segment I just wanted to introduce everyone to something I basically stumbled across on YouTube. And I guess this just further supports the saying that "if it exists, you can find it on the internet". Never in my life did I think you could mesh traditional Japanese music/instruments/sounds with urban hip-hop/trap & bass beats. Boy was I wrong! And after listening for a while last night, I started to like it! And so, for your listening enjoyment, I give you "Maramusa - Trapanese Lofi Hip Hop".

Fantastic shave this morning! I ordered a "4" base plate for my Blackland Era razor and it arrived yesterday. So, I swapped out the number "3" that came with it and man, what an improvement! More aggressive but not harsh. Nigh BBS result! Went with Phoenix Shaving's "Hotel Cecil" soap and splash which is an homage to the original Burma Shave scent. Can't comment on its accuracy (never tried Burma Shave) but the soap and splash has a nice clean, barbershop, quasi-astringent quality that I find very nice. Finished with a spray of YSL M7 Fresh EdT which hits on the "warmer/spicier" notes in the soap & splash.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Hotel Cecil" Shave Soap / Moon Soaps "Villain" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor / Feather
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Hotel Cecil" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / YSL M7 Fresh EdT

IMG-9042.jpg

27 April, 2022

Getting some music going for your Wednesday, here's a new mix from one of my favorite YouTube channels. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning. I had another setup planned but after the "Most Regretted Blind Buy" discussion in the Soaps & Creams forum, I decided to break out Phoenix Shaving's "Twee" soap for today's shave. Admittedly, this is more of an "inspired by" type scent that a straight up clone, but the lather quality and performance far exceeded anything I got from Creed's GIT shave soap many years ago. Three passes with the Era for another nigh BBS result. I finished with a splash of Booster Mosswood and a spray of Davidoff "Cool Water". Fresh, green spicy goodness! Excellent!!

Hope you have a wonderful day my friends. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Twee" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "The Peregrino" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor / Feather
Alum / Booster "Mosswood" After Shave Lotion (+Skin Food) / Davidoff "Cool Water" EdT

IMG-9048.jpg

I've never used a booster aftershave, how do you like it? Nice music selection this morning!

Thanks!
Thank you!

I really like Booster's offerings. Lower alcohol content so there's not as much burn or dry, tight skin feeling like with some (most) alcohol based splashes. However they've changed the scent of the "Mosswood" ASL I used this morning and now it's only a shadow of what it used to be. Their "Polar Ice" ASL is my favorite

28 April, 2022

@NurseDave was in a dancing mood yesterday but my music choice was not "frolic friendly". Wanted to take care of that today. Get your dancing shoes on Dave! This is for you! 🕺

Great shave today. Today's shave was what I had on-deck for yesterday before the GIT soap discussion in the Soaps & Creams forum sidetracked me. Not much I need to say... Spicy floral goodness FTW!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Tabac Original Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Amber Aerolite" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor
Feather / Alum / Tabac Original After Shave Lotion (+ Skin Food) / Tabac Original EdC

IMG-9056.jpg

Back