The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

11 April, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

It's "Motown Monday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®) and so here is some smooth 70's Soul for your aural appreciation. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to First Line Shave's "My God, It's Full Of Stars" which is they're homage to Versace "Eros". And it's a pretty good one at that! Practically identical to my nose so if you're a fan of the frag, you'd really enjoy this soap/splash combo. First use of the new brush by Turned Timber and it's probably the softest I've ever felt. The only upgrade from this knot would be to just grab a chinchilla and use it to lather up with. The downside to all the softness is a lack of backbone. I prefer a little more with my shave brushes but it's not so bad that I'd think of selling it. Last use of the Phoenix Shaving Platinum Strangelet. It's a decent blade. About 6 shaves is the magic number IMO. I used it for 8 and in the future will likely swap them out after 5. Overall fantastic shave! Three passes (and a touch up) for a DFS result and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Versace "Eros" EdT.

Hope you have a great day my friends. :)

FLS "My God, It's Full Of Stars" Shave Soap / Turned Timber "Classic Custom" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / PAA Platinum Strangelet
Alum / FLS "My God, It's Full Of Stars" After Shave Splash (+Skin Food) / Versace "Eros" EdT

IMG-8904.jpg

11 April, 2022

It's "Motown Monday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time®) and so here is some smooth 70's Soul for your aural appreciation. Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to First Line Shave's "My God, It's Full Of Stars" which is they're homage to Versace "Eros". And it's a pretty good one at that! Practically identical to my nose so if you're a fan of the frag, you'd really enjoy this soap/splash combo. First use of the new brush by Turned Timber and it's probably the softest I've ever felt. The only upgrade from this knot would be to just grab a chinchilla and use it to lather up with. The downside to all the softness is a lack of backbone. I prefer a little more with my shave brushes but it's not so bad that I'd think of selling it. Last use of the Phoenix Shaving Platinum Strangelet. It's a decent blade. About 6 shaves is the magic number IMO. I used it for 8 and in the future will likely swap them out after 5. Overall fantastic shave! Three passes (and a touch up) for a DFS result and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Versace "Eros" EdT.

Hope you have a great day my friends. :)

FLS "My God, It's Full Of Stars" Shave Soap / Turned Timber "Classic Custom" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / PAA Platinum Strangelet
Alum / FLS "My God, It's Full Of Stars" After Shave Splash (+Skin Food) / Versace "Eros" EdT

View attachment 80069
Fantastic shave - I truly enjoy the soap/AS! And I know that the cologne gets a rep as a “younger” frag - I think it goes well across all ages!

Have a fantastic day!

Haven’t gotten to pick up Eros yet…but by all accounts it sounds like a winner! There’s certainly a lot of love for it!

12 April, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Big scare yesterday with the new puppy. Little guy has a bad habit of hanging around my feet when I'm in my recliner. Yesterday I stood up and didn't see him and accidentally stepped on him. Thought I'd hurt him badly. He was definitely howling like he was seriously injured. Luckily our vet's office is only about 8 minutes away so scooped him up and took him to get checked. They checked him out and thoroughly (X-ray and all) and couldn't find anything and told us to keep an eye on him. So far, he's doing okay. Back to his normal, exuberant-puppy self. 🐶

For today's morning music I'd like to do something different. We all have a certain song (or songs) that strike that emotional chord in us, whether good or bad. I have mine but I'd like to hear what yours are. So today, I'd like for you to post up a song, whether new or old and regardless of genre, that strikes what emotional chord in you. You don't have to go into detail as to how or why it does unless you want to.

Fantastic shave this morning! Haven't had my "Hombres" fix in a while so I thought I remedy that today. Fantastic scent and lather from the soap. Provided an extremely slick base for the maiden flight of the new Blackland Era razor. I was very impressed with its performance. Smooth and efficient with the fresh Gillette Platinum blade. Three passes for a nigh-BBS result and I finished with some of the Hombres after shave tonic and a spray of Stetson cologne. Wonderful! 🤠

Hope you have a great day. :)

CBL Soaps "Hombres Barber Shop" Shave Soap / Rich Yuengel "Prismatic" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / CBL Soaps "Hombres Barber Shop" After Shave Tonic / Coty "Stetson" EdC

IMG-8908.jpg

I know it’s not the original…but I’m actually kind of on the fence about Leonard’s vibe for the song; I think that once Cale’s version hit, the performances improved immensely.

There’s a version out there that I feel I’ve heard on the radio but can never find. It’s super gritty and I swear is piano accompanied. So Buckley’s will have to do:

13 April, 2022

Getting some music going this morning with another mix from the Chill Music Lab channel on YouTube. This one is supposed to be for "Productive Work - Deep Focus Mix" so let me know tomorrow if you were more focused and productive today. ;)

Fantastic shave this morning! Used the new "Italia Collection - Blood Orange" cream from @Dragonsbeard / ETHOS Grooming Essentials. Excellent scent and performance. Three passes for a DFS+ result with the Blackland Era and I finished with a splash of Aqua Velva "Musk" and a spray of vintage Pierre Cardin.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Italia Collection - Blood Orange" Shave Cream / WWBW "Majesty" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor
Gillette Platinum /
Alum / Aqua Velva "Musk" After Shave Lotion (+ Skin Food) / Vintage Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur EdC

IMG-8919.jpg

Oh man, I don't know if I really want to click on something that might result in me doing more work.

No shave today.. Back... pain.. No sleep..Blah...

giphy.gif

15 April, 2022

Thanks for the well-wishes guys. A little more sleep last night so I;m feeling some better today thanks to a fistful of assorted OTC and prescription pain killers I took (don't worry, I'm careful). Still looking forward to getting the shots next Wednesday.

Let's get your Friday going with some music. Need something easy today so here's some "Work & Jazz Piano". Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning after skipping yesterday. Went with Phoenix Shaving's "CaD" for a wonderful Rive Gauche end-of-the-workweek shave.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "CaD" Shave Soap / Sorrentino "Roll Tide" Synth / Blackland "Era" Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "CaD" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Phoenix Shaving "CaD" EdP

IMG-8928.jpg

18 April, 2022

Today is the 18th. You know what that means...

Fantastic shave this morning. Needed a "green" shave and so I pulled out Phoenix Shaving's "Irish Springs". Been a while since I last used it and had forgotten how refreshing it is. Smells just like the venerable soap and provided a super slick and cushioning base. Three passes with the YAQI + Windrose razor for a nigh BBS result and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Irish Springs" Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 SE "Noir" Synth / Yaqi + Windrose Razor / PAA Platinum Strangelet
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Irish Springs" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT

IMG-8959a.jpg

Back