The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

28 March, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Let's get right into some music to ease you into your Monday morning. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning! Went with Declaration Grooming's "Nightman" shave soap and splash. Great lather and performance, but I wish the scent was a little stronger. What there is is nice. A "boozy-lime" head with backing "woody" notes. Not necessarily a warm weather scent IMO but one that could be used year round. Three passes and I finished with the marching splash and a spray of Alexandria Fragrances "Casanova" EdP.

Have a great day, everyone!! :)

Declaration Grooming "Nightman" Shave Soap / WWBW "Milky Way" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Declaration Grooming "Nightman" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Alexandria Fragrances "Casanova" EdP

IMG-8745.jpg

29 March, 2022

Today's Morning Music is going to follow along with the theme of today's shave. Went with Noble Otter's "Neon Sun" which, according to the website, is a "throwback to the 80's" in design, packaging and scent. So, for today's music I wanted to feature a couple of songs from the band FM-84 who, like the soap & splash, is a stylized throwback to an 80's that exists somewhere between reality, nostalgia and an embellished memory. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! As noted above, I went with "Neon Sun" from Noble Otter for today's shave. Nothing really revolutionary with the scent. It's a nice cologne-ish, quasi-barbershop scent with notes of lime, oakmoss, bergamot, patchouli and musk. Very nice but I wish the scent would have been a little stronger. Excellent lather as always from Noble Otter. Three passes for a DFS+ result and I finished with the matching splash and a spray of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur EdC. The cologne was a nice contrast to the soap / splash. They share many of the same scent notes but the cologne adds the leather component in the drydown that takes it in a different direction.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Noble Otter "Neon Sun" Shave Soap / PAA "Star Wisp" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Noble Otter "Neon Sun" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur EdC

IMG-8770.jpg

30 March, 2022

Some potentially dangerous weather moving later on this evening and tonight so before that "excitement" begins, let's chill out a bit. I really like the Chill Music Lab channel on YouTube. Great "work day" music to have playing in the background. Today we're going into the dark, dank, dismal, dystopian future of Tech Noir! Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic shave this morning. Wanted to try one of the new parts razors I assembled so I chose the "cobbled bar" head on the RazoRock handle. Had a complimentary pack of Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades that came with an order that I've been wanting to try out for a while so I popped a fresh one in. VERY good shave! I could actually hear the whiskers "popping" over the sound of the shower! Enough blade exposure to be "efficient" without being overly aggressive. Three passes on a foundation of Murphy & McNeil's "Barbershop De Los Muertos" lather provided a very enjoyable DFS+ result and I finished with the matching splash and EdP. Excellent!

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Murphy & McNeil "BDLM" Shave Soap / WWBW "Kokopelli" Synth / Yaqi CB + RazoRock / Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Alum / Murphy & McNeil "BDLM" Afterlife Aftershave (+ Skin Food) / Murphy & McNeil "BDLM" EdP

IMG-8780.jpg

Last edited:
31 March, 2022

Whew! Late night due to the storms. Nothing too severe but the wind was rough. Some sporadic power outages but the backup generators on site kicked in and kept services up. Still had to monitor in case one didn't start or quit unexpectedly at which time a portable generator on a trailer would have had to be taken to the site and patched in.

Because of all that I got very little sleep and as a result, no shave today. As I've said "the only thing worse than no shave is a bad shave". So I skipped today and will have an extra nice one tomorrow.

But let there be music! Here are a couple more from drummer / composer Simon Phillips. Hope you enjoy!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Glad you’re safe! Hope you can get some good naps in today!
Sounds like a plan!

giphy.gif

1 April, 2022

Good morning Cadre and Happy Fools' Day!

Let's get some music going for your Friday. It's "Ferocious Friday" here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits, All The Time) and so here are a few from the new Meshuggah album Immutable. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning! Went with Stirling's "Barbershop". Hadn't used in quite a while so I thought I'd take care of that today. Fantastic scent and lather! Three passes with for a DFS++ result and I finished with the matching splash and EdT. Damn I smell good today!! :cool:

Hope you have a great day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Barbershop" Shave Soap / Sorrentino Brushworks "Roll Tide" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Barbershop" (+ Skin Food) / Stirling Soap Co. "Barbershop" EdT

IMG-8796.jpg

4 April, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

b7b986a6b88585dcbbb095c8989814ae.jpg

Yep! It's that day again.. So let's ease into the new week with some soothing seventies soul sounds! Hope you enjoy!

Great shave this morning! Went back to SV's Tundra Artica. Wonderful lather! Scent and performance were top shelf as you'd expect. Three passes and I finished with the matching ASL and a spray of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur.

Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Saponificio Varesino "Tundra Artica" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Synth / EJ 3ONE6 + StandoPolska / PAA Platinum Strangelet
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Tundra Artica" After Shave Lotion / Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur

IMG-8831.jpg

Last edited:
Back