The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

18 January, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a wonderful evening.

Getting your Tuesday going this morning with some "Psycho Fusion". This is simply mind blowing levels of musicianship that make me just want to put my basses away and not play any more. LOL! Hang on!

Great shave this morning! Went with Wholly Kaw's "King of Bourbon" soap. This is a lovely tobacco/bourbon/vanilla scent with citrus and spicy/earthy highlights. Wonderful yogurt-like lather from their "Bufala" base as well. Three passes for a DFS++ result and I finished with a splash of Nivea's DEEP Comforting "Vanilla & Bourbon" after shave splash and a spray of Hemingway Signature EdP.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Wholly Kaw "King of Bourbon" Shave Soap / PAA "Star Wisp" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor / Polsilver Super Iridium
Alum / Nivea DEEP Comforting "Vanilla & Bourbon" After Shave Splash / Hemingway "Signature Collection" EdP

IMG-8219.jpg

Quick question on the scent notes for soap. I’ve read the description a while back and now on the Wholly Kaw site - which they‘ve updated……is it a strong Vanilla scent (Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla is one of the strongest out there). - or does it have a boozy note to it? Either way - it seems fantastic - but I was always curious about it.

I love the scent of the Nivea Deep!

Quick question on the scent notes for soap. I’ve read the description a while back and now on the Wholly Kaw site - which they‘ve updated……is it a strong Vanilla scent (Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla is one of the strongest out there). - or does it have a boozy note to it? Either way - it seems fantastic - but I was always curious about it.

I love the scent of the Nivea Deep!
Bear with me because this is a very deep and complex scent.

The soap scent is very deep and rich. It is bourbon-forward but it's neither boozy nor vanilla sweet. It's oak-forward mainly to my nose with the woody notes likely reinforced by the cypriol. A spicy, cured tobacco note is what I get just under the "oakey", bourbon-barrel-stave like top note, almost as if you're drinking your bourbon in a cup made of tobacco leaves. Vanilla is there. It's neither pronounced nor overly sweet to my nose but, along with the ginger & ylang ylang add an almost gourmand quality to the soap's scent.

Hope this helps. :)

Sounds like is it nicely blended!
It is. But it seems strange to me that I get such a different olfactory experience than most others have had with this soap. Makes me wonder if maybe I got an old tub where the scents have degraded a bit over time.

19 January, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting your morning started with a couple of forgotten gems from the 80's. Here are songs from the bands, "ERTH" and "The Expression". Never heard of them? Neither had I until yesterday! Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Went with Fine's "L'Orange Noir" in the old triple milled puck. Lovely Terre d'Hermes scent and the lather quality was superb! Finished with the matching splash and a spray of TdH. Wonderful!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Fine Accoutrements "L'Orange Noir" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 1 Best Badger / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Fine Accoutrements "L'Orange Noir" Classic After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food), Terre d'Hermes EdT

IMG-8225.jpg

T
It is. But it seems strange to me that I get such a different olfactory experience than most others have had with this soap. Makes me wonder if maybe I got an old tub where the scents have degraded a bit over time.
THe reviews I’ve seen are all over the map on that one

20 January, 2022

Let's get some tunes started for your Thursday. Today I'm featuring a couple from New York rocker Eddie Money. Here are a couple of his greatest hits. Hope you enjoy.

Fan-freakin-tastic shave this morning! Superb lather from the MdC soap. Thick, slick and wonderfully scented. Three passes yielded a DFS+ result and I finsihed with a splash of Floid Blue and a spray of Paul Sebastian "PS" cologne.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Martin De Candre "Original" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Floid Blue After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Paul Sebastian "PS" EdC

IMG-8230.jpg

Mark taking on this Thursday thing with gusto! Go get em!
Bring it, Thursday!!!

giphy.gif

21 January, 2022

I awoke to the sad news that Meat Loaf had passed away. Such a bummer.. Loved his music. Bat Out Of Hell was a classic no doubt, but 2006's Bat Out Of Hell III was simply incredible IMO. So for today's Morning Music here are a couple more from that album.

Wonderful shave this morning. Went with Noble Otter's "Monarch" which is an absolute lather monster, elegantly scented with powder and lavender notes along with delicate floral/citrus neroli and a base of vanilla & wood. Three passes for a DFS++ result and I finished with a splash of the matching after shave and a spray of YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT.

Hope you have a great day.

Noble Otter "Monarch" Shave Soap / WWBW "REM Cycle" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Noble Otter "Monarch" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

IMG-8250.jpg

24 January, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

Getting the new week started off with some attitude. Here are a couple from rocker Billy Idol. Everybody sneer!

Wonderful shave this morning. Went with SV's "Manna di Sicilia" soap and ASL. Lovely spiced, citrus scent with floral notes and a touch of leather as well. Great later and post-shave face feel. Finished with the aforementioned ASL and a spray of Burberry for Men EdT. Excellent!!

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" Shave Soap / PAA "Star Wisp" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Manna di Sicilia" After Shave Lotion / Burberry for Men EdT

IMG-8278.jpg

Back