The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

11 January, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Heartbreaking loss last night in the championship game. But congrats to Georgia. They were the better team and deserve the win. So here's some apropos music.

Great shave today! Went back to @CBLSoap.com "Oud Mineral" soap and splash. Great lather and the scent, though light, was wonderful! Three passes with a fresh Polsilver in the Karve resulted in a DFS+ result. Finished with a spray of CK One Shock.

Hope you have a great day. :)

ETHOS Grooming Essentials "First Lather" / CBL Soaps "Oud Mineral" Shave Soap / YAQI "Lucky Dice" Synth / Karve Christopher Bradley SS SB
Polsilver Super Iridium / Alum / CBL Soaps "Oud Mineral" After Shave Tonic / CK One "Shock" EdT

IMG-8165.jpg

12 January, 2022

Let's get some music going this morning and in honor of the soap/splash combo today, I offer this absolute gem from the 1970's (seriously, I loved this song in the 70's! My sister had the album.)

Great shave this morning. Used First Line Shave's "My God, It's Full Of Stars" soap and splash and it provided a wonderfully performing and fragrant lather. Based on Versace's "Eros" cologne, I gotta say, it's a spot-on match! Three passes resulted in a DFS++ with practically no feedback from the alum block. Finished with the matching splash and a spray of Versace "Eros" EdT. Fantastic!!

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

First Line Shave "My God, It's Full Of Stars" Shave Soap / YAQI "Mysterious Space" Synth / SS SB Karve Christopher Bradley Razor
Alum / First Line Shave "My God, It's Full Of Stars" After Shave Splash (+Skin Food) / Versace "Eros" EdT

IMG-8174.jpg

Great label art! I figured it was going to be Montblanc Star Walker or something…haven’t tried Eros yet! *navigates away to go look at scent notes*

13 January, 2022

Needing a chill day here at work so I'm going with this music today. So, sit back and relax with me, have a cup of coffee and just take it easy.

Another fantastic shave this morning. Went back to Barrister and Mann's "Mélange" soap and balm. Great lather and scent. Three effortless passes and a DFS++ was the result, as close ot a true BBS shave I can get. Finished with the matching splash and a spray of Boss "Number One". Wonderful!

Hope you have a great day. :)

Barrister and Mann "Mélange" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Rally the Valley" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Polsilver Super Iridium / Alum / Barrister and Mann "Mélange" Aftershave Balm / Hugo Boss "Boss - Number One" EdT

IMG-8179.jpg

Great label art! I figured it was going to be Montblanc Star Walker or something…haven’t tried Eros yet! *navigates away to go look at scent notes*
Eros is fantastic - most YT influencers count it as a “clubbing” frag - I don’t see that - other than I can’t see it offending anyone - it really is a great scent - I have the EdP version and love it - my son Jack has the EdT- both are wonderful IMO.

Went back to Barrister and Mann's "Mélange" soap and balm. Great lather and scent.
Any more deets? Do tell! Looks like I may be receiving this soap from the Bingo game, if it doesn’t get yoinked 😂

Is the cinnamon component strong?

14 January, 2022

Gonna round out the workweek with some relaxing jazz for your office today. Weekend's almost here so let's hang in there!

Another great shave this morning. Went back to SV's "Tundra Artica" Soap and ASL and boy, did it deliver! Thick, yogurt-like lather provided three passes of shaving bliss! Excellent post-shave face feel. Finished with the matching after shave lotion and a spray of Burberry "Brit" EdT. Excellent!

Saponificio Varesino "Tundra Artica" Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 "Noir" SE Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Polsilver Super Iridium / Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Tundra Artica" After Shave Lotion / Burberry "Brit" EdT

IMG-8187.jpg

Today's musical selection gives us a little glimpse into a side of Mark not seen by many. 24hrs from now he'll be found curled up in the corner of his couch in his fuzzy socks and a Pendleton blanket on his lap. A cup of chamomile tea is cooling on the coffee table as he's carefully knitting a new spring sweater for his cat.

Today's musical selection gives us a little glimpse into a side of Mark not seen by many. 24hrs from now he'll be found curled up in the corner of his couch in his fuzzy socks and a Pendleton blanket on his lap. A cup of chamomile tea is cooling on the coffee table as he's carefully knitting a new spring sweater for his cat.
Wait! Do you have a camera in my house?!? 😳

17 January, 2022

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Well the snow yesterday was pretty, but short-lived. Lather in the afternoon the temps rose above freezing and everything turned over to rain. By 7pm all the snow was gone. My wife was mad. Me? I was glad. I stopped liking the stuff after a winter at US Naval Training Center Great Lakes. After retirement, my wife wanted to move from Alabama to a place that gets more snow. My one caveat is that it has to be a place where cannabis is legal. That's the only way I'll be able to make it.

Let's get some music going for your Monday. Wanted to kick it off right so here are a couple from the legendary Prince! Hope you enjoy.

Very good shave this morning. Went back to the "Levante" shave soap from Asylum. Better lather this go around but it's a thirsty soap and water has to be added in very small amounts. Lather was nice and slick but didn't have much cushion or denseness. Still, three passes yielded a DFS result and I finished with a splash of Clubman "Brandy Spice" and a spray of "Tabac Rouge".

Asylum "Levante" Shave Soap / SmilezforMilez "Green Light" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor / Polsilver Super iridium
Alum / Clubman "Brandy Spice" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Phaedon "Tabac Rouge" EdP

IMG-8210.jpg

Back